Innovative Marine Aquariums

College Poverty Budget Build in Socal- Hardy Coral and Mantis Shrimp Tank Reccomendations?

roastedbiscuit9

roastedbiscuit9

Hello fellow humans, I'm planning my first tank in the socal area and would appreciate some input. Planning a 36 gal reef tank on a fun, fun college student budget in very strange times. My endgame is Mantis Shrimp (unlikely for a while due to shipping) and only relatively hardy corals like zoas, zenia, gsp, acans, mushrooms (more suggestions appreciated), and maaaybe a clown or damsel later on. With a Mantis, cleanup inverts will be sad but I may not even put a mantis shrimp in for months due to our current pandemic situation. I have an RO system measured at 10 TDS. Since i’m growing hardy corals only, my research points to it maybe being doable without a DI stage but I would like some input. 

List of what I plan to get: 

Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel HOB 350GPH( I’m hoping with higher flow + bowfront I won't have to purchase a wavemaker, maybe purchase 2 HOBs and put them on either side of the tank) 

Dry 2mm flake sand(I save ½ the price for dry sand at the cost of cycling time)

Dr. Tim's bacteria

Cobalt Neo-Therm (Not sure if 150w or 200w, but have heard good things about it and reliability, but will take suggestions) 

Dry Rock/Saver rock (Don't want to play RNG with live rock or spend the money)

API test kit(Was looking at the Red Sea test kit as well, but budget)

HIPARGERO 30w Aquarium Light( Will take other suggestions but I don’t mind growing low/moderate light corals only and the light is only $60)

I am a DIY sort of person, so I will try a 3d printed skimmer when I need it. May very well require it with a Mantis Shrimp. Have considered sump + overflow box but space considerations make that hard, so I was thinking that the large HOB modified with more filtration (floss and GFO) will work, but I have not researched enough about nitrates/phosphates to figure out right now. If possible I want to make it low maintenance as well due to life circumstances, but I can figure that out as I go. 

If any local reefers have equipment or dry rock around the Corona/Eastvale area, I would really appreciate being able to take unwanted stuff off your hands, discuss setups, and taking a peek at your tanks if possible 🙂

Skip the bio wheel...you want an aquaclear or tidal filter.

Add fish before the mantis...when I had mantis shrimps they were fine with resident fish added before them but ate anything added after. They are just too curious about new things. A damsel will be faster if the mantis tries something. 

Consider display macro algae to keep maintence down. They mix well with softies.

You may not need test kits for soft corals. Certainly nothing fancy.

10 TDS is probably fine for softies...some people even use straight treated tap. Just depends what is in it.

Cover the red light on the heater and avoid glass ones. Mantis shrimps like to punch the red light...as I said... curious things.

Get a lid...mantis shrimps can climb out to go exploring...