inTank Media Baskets

is 830 gph too much flow for a 20 Gallon Long with soft/lps corals?

lostboy95

Reason I ask is I tried turning off my jet during feeding today to keep the food from blowing around a ton so it would settle more at the bottom and  my duncan coral which usually gets a  good bit of flow  is opening to almost twice its size and looks amazing! So idk if the high flow was  blowing it around so it seemed like it was smaller or if it actually was hurting it. What are your thoughts? I also have a tiny lord frag that seems indifferent. I have an AC 70 turned on high as well so the tank is getting some flow from that without the pump on. 

(side note) would I be able to keep sps with my current flow?

Between the filter and powerhead you have 830gph which is a lot in a 5g. For sps alone, they like tons of flow but lps and softies, it may be too much, particularly for lps which prefer moderate flow.

• Like 1
  • lostboy95 changed the title to is 830 gph too much flow for a 20 Gallon Long with soft/lps corals?
11 minutes ago, lostboy95 said:

@Clown79

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I should've clarified when I put 20L in the title I meant a 20 gallon Long, not 20 Litres. 

It should be fine then as long as the flow isn't too harsh on the lps.

• Like 1

As long as you aren't directly pointing powerheads at your sensitive LPS coral and flesh isn't getting too harshly battered around, it's fine. I also have a 20g and mine is 50-60% LPS and I am currently running ~1700gph with two big anemones almost directly in front of the powerhead and I've never had issues from too much flow after close to a decade.

I have found my lps simply don't like a lot of flow. I run my mighty jet 538(not on full) with rfg nozzles and my kps is at 60%. 

Any higher and my lps close up, have had their flesh ripped.