karisma

Too many copepods

karisma

My tank seems to be over run with copepods. I know they aren't bad but they are a nuscience to my zoas and and I think they are ugly lol. I want to get a small wrasse I've heard they will eat them. Anyone have any advice? I won't keep the wrasse as the tank is too small. So after he eats his fill I'd return him. What kind of wrasse would be best?

olive

What size is your tank? A pink streaked wrasse or pygmy wrasse would be great for anything 10+ gallons

mipster

Pink streaked wrasses almost never turn up available in Canada unfortunately. I've wanted one and talked to a lot of suppliers and they all say they almost never come available.

• Sad 1

jservedio
3 hours ago, karisma said:

My tank seems to be over run with copepods. I know they aren't bad but they are a nuscience to my zoas and and I think they are ugly lol. I want to get a small wrasse I've heard they will eat them. Anyone have any advice? I won't keep the wrasse as the tank is too small. So after he eats his fill I'd return him. What kind of wrasse would be best?

Don't - they will naturally burn themselves out in time plus they are nothing but beneficial. They aren't harming your zoas.

• Like 1

Tired

What size is your tank? 

Copepods or amphipods? Copepods are little dots, amphipods look like small shrimp. 

If they're copepods, any small fish will eat them. If they're amphipods, you need something with a slightly larger mouth, but most if not all small fish should still be interested. 

karisma
3 hours ago, Tired said:

What size is your tank? 

Copepods or amphipods? Copepods are little dots, amphipods look like small shrimp. 

If they're copepods, any small fish will eat them. If they're amphipods, you need something with a slightly larger mouth, but most if not all small fish should still be interested. 

Oh really? Tank is 4gallons. And then They are amphipods. Definitely.

Diamonds x Pearls

I feel like a small goby could be an amphipod predator.

Tired

Amphipods can be a problem when left to run amok. They're fine in tanks with fish, but without fish, sometimes they multiply past what you really want. Mine were bothering some of my corals pretty badly until I got a fish to curb them.

Any fish that can eat a mysis shrimp will eat an amphipod, if it sees one. Amphipods are nocturnal, though, while many small gobies are not. Still, they can help. I got a white-spotted dwarf goby to eat mine, and I haven't had to feed him in 3 months because he's eating nothing but pods. Don't assume you can do this- watch the fish, make sure its belly is always full, and start feeding it if not.

Any of the clown gobies would work, as would an antenna goby, or any of the eviota or trimma gobies. Any goby that stays 2" or under (preferably under) and mostly perches will make a fine pico reef inhabitant. 

• Like 2

karisma
12 minutes ago, Tired said:

Amphipods can be a problem when left to run amok. They're fine in tanks with fish, but without fish, sometimes they multiply past what you really want. Mine were bothering some of my corals pretty badly until I got a fish to curb them.

Any fish that can eat a mysis shrimp will eat an amphipod, if it sees one. Amphipods are nocturnal, though, while many small gobies are not. Still, they can help. I got a white-spotted dwarf goby to eat mine, and I haven't had to feed him in 3 months because he's eating nothing but pods. Don't assume you can do this- watch the fish, make sure its belly is always full, and start feeding it if not.

Any of the clown gobies would work, as would an antenna goby, or any of the eviota or trimma gobies. Any goby that stays 2" or under (preferably under) and mostly perches will make a fine pico reef inhabitant. 

Well I have an antenna goby already so that's perfect but I keep him fed. He does eat mysis shrimp when fed it. ill stop feeding him for now and watch to make sure he's eating the pods as they are definitely a nuscience to my zoas. They come out more at night but aren't afraid of the light much either. Thank for the reply very informative! 

• Like 1

Tired

Amphipods get kinda confident without a predator. Definitely keep a close eye on the goby to be sure he's eating well, tiny fish like that really need to eat daily, but he should be able to catch some pods for you. You should also try to figure out if the pods are in any specific place, and not in any others. If they have a specific area they congregate in, you can move the zoas away from those areas. Or put the zoas in higher flow, if they'll tolerate it- pods don't like high flow. 

Depending on your parameters, you might even be able to add a second fish. 4 gallons is a very small tank, but if your tank already handles the waste from the goby fairly well, you could possibly add one of the one-inch trimma or eviota gobies. 

• Like 1

karisma
3 hours ago, Tired said:

Amphipods get kinda confident without a predator. Definitely keep a close eye on the goby to be sure he's eating well, tiny fish like that really need to eat daily, but he should be able to catch some pods for you. You should also try to figure out if the pods are in any specific place, and not in any others. If they have a specific area they congregate in, you can move the zoas away from those areas. Or put the zoas in higher flow, if they'll tolerate it- pods don't like high flow. 

Depending on your parameters, you might even be able to add a second fish. 4 gallons is a very small tank, but if your tank already handles the waste from the goby fairly well, you could possibly add one of the one-inch trimma or eviota gobies. 

Thanks. I will certainly watch the goby and make sure he's eating. The pods are kind of on one side of the whole tank. Not really in just one spot. I'll see if I can get another goby. Thanks for the advice bud!

• Like 1