Coral Vue Hydros

Ostreopsis?

Prezpreston

Prezpreston

Hey guys! So I’ve had a ton of help from a number of you thus far in trying to get a 2 year old tank under control after the prior owner put the tank through a ridiculous hypersalinity phase of 1.046 :0

Once I was able to get the salinity back under control, I believe my tank is essentially now going through a reset as far as bacteria, etc. I had a cyano outbreak, which I killed off with chemiclean, and now I’m going through a GHA outbreak and, unfortunately, I believe a Dino outbreak. I followed the advice of several people on here and did the jar test, which came up positive for Dino’s. Found mcarolls Dino thread on reef2reef and have been following that. I recently was able to grab a microscope and got these shots - keep in mind I sucked up some of the GHA along with the Dinos. I’d love to get some additional opinions on this - do these look like ostreopsis to you all? They don’t have the traditional kite shape, which makes me think they are. In addition, they do disperse into the water column at night. 

I’ve been seeing that the two most effective treatments are (1.) dose bacteria (like microbacter) (2.) UV is my friend and (3.) ensure there are levels of nitrate and phosphate present (which I have been dosing and they have been staying consistent thanks to mcarolls advice)!

Do these sound like solid modes of attack?

739C391E-F9FE-4276-A3AA-98B447B00EC3.jpeg

E6DB49D5-C936-4697-871F-6A2E83965BA7.jpeg

EDBD73EE-5E9F-4072-A399-B205C1A11F8D.jpeg

BF36A065-698F-4347-9DFF-DFCE1E40C9E2.jpeg

650F0DD8-3C94-4444-8AF5-8C59A32F3F37.jpeg

Osteo move quickly when viewed and have a sesame shape.

I didn't use uv or bacteria to get rid of mine. It works for some but not everyone.

After a ton of research, those that had success with bacteria dosing had also used other methods in the process

• Like 1
Prezpreston
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Osteo move quickly when viewed and have a sesame shape.

I didn't use uv or bacteria to get rid of mine. It works for some but not everyone.

After a ton of research, those that had success with bacteria dosing had also used other methods in the process

Thanks Clown - are the photos I sent high enough quality for you (or anyone else) to make a call that these are in fact ostreopsis? Or should I take some higher res photos?

Also - I've been seeing that lack of biodiversity, among other things, has allowed for these dinos to take over (which would make sense if my other bacteria was all killed off by hypersalinity).

Would adding a few smaller pieces of live rock into my tank be helpful? I've been looking at getting 4 lbs. of premium live rock from LiveAquatics to replace 4 lbs. of my current rockwork in my aquarium (which is also completely taken over by : https://premiumaquatics.com/products/real-reef-live-fully-cured-rock-sold-pound.html

Ya those are definitely round. Do they move around slower than videos o line of osteo?

I had osteo and took a multi approach of adding pods, phyto dosing, no waterchanges, reduced photoperiod, with manual removal of dino's. 

Prezpreston
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Ya those are definitely round. Do they move around slower than videos o line of osteo?

I had osteo and took a multi approach of adding pods, phyto dosing, no waterchanges, reduced photoperiod, with manual removal of dino's. 

Actually yes they're slower than the ostreopsis in this video: 

Prezpreston
13 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I saw that in your lagoon journal - super helpful!! I actually cant tell if I had and continue to have a phyto outbreak or if it’s just green film algae after starting to dose phyto - I did notice recently that all my pods are pretty much gone, I’m guessing from the Dino’s killing them off? Also lost a hermit 😞

6 hours ago, Prezpreston said:

I saw that in your lagoon journal - super helpful!! I actually cant tell if I had and continue to have a phyto outbreak or if it’s just green film algae after starting to dose phyto - I did notice recently that all my pods are pretty much gone, I’m guessing from the Dino’s killing them off? Also lost a hermit 😞

When I seeded my tank with pods and phyto dosed is when the dino's started to die.

Pods are their main competitor, that's what's often missing in biodiversity.

Pods populations can easily go down in aquarian due to livestock, lack of food source, etc.

Pods main food source is phyto. 

Prezpreston
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

When I seeded my tank with pods and phyto dosed is when the dino's started to die.

Pods are their main competitor, that's what's often missing in biodiversity.

Pods populations can easily go down in aquarian due to livestock, lack of food source, etc.

Pods main food source is phyto. 

Thanks Clown - I've been dosing nitrate and phosphate along with Microbacter 7 to try and increase microbial diversity. I'm honestly considering getting the UV sterilizer to get a temporary hold on these dinos, they've spread everywhere. In addition, looking at upping pods and phyto dosing over the next few weeks. Too many changes? Or does that sound like a good plan?

I didn't use UV(it doesn't always work, not on all strains)

I didn't dose bacteria 

I don't know how well either method really works.

I had mine gone in just over a month with no reoccurrence with what I did.

Mine never got really bad because I reduced photo period, stopped any vitamins/amino's, and manually removed them with recycling water back into tank.

Prezpreston
8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I didn't use UV(it doesn't always work, not on all strains)

I didn't dose bacteria 

I don't know how well either method really works.

I had mine gone in just over a month with no reoccurrence with what I did.

Mine never got really bad because I reduced photo period, stopped any vitamins/amino's, and manually removed them with recycling water back into tank.

Got it - ok, thanks Clown!!