inTank Media Baskets

Simply Salty UNS 45a: NEW STUFF

CD_Scapes

1 hour ago, cheesesteak said:

Love the UNS! These tanks are clean. This build is great so far, I love the macros.

Sorry about Clyde 😔 

Thanks for reading the mess of a thread! It was a bummer about Clyde and then Bonnie was acting weird and eating my snails so she went back too. Not as many macros as the moment either. Just got my first hammer and now I’m getting the LPS bug 😅

cheesesteak

Everyone grieves differently! Bonnie just took it out on the snails... 

Yeah, you say you don't like SPS but you'll get there! Hammers and torches are great to watch sway in the current. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Everyone grieves differently! Bonnie just took it out on the snails... 

Yeah, you say you don't like SPS but you'll get there! Hammers and torches are great to watch sway in the current. 

I got 4 “chips” of pavona in there soooo I’ve broken all my “rules”

• Like 1

Well I thought I would give a monthly update on the thread. The tank has been settling in fairly alright, the tank did go through a few spirts of diatoms which I attribute to feeding frozen food twice a week. Both waspfish are since gone, make choked on sand and the female went back after harassing livestock. With the tank being fishless I got a pair of sharknose gobies, all was well and then overnight they got ich. The other day one of them died and I assume my brittle star ate him. So again I got a fish (probably not smart) and this time it’s a 4 banded Damsel that I named Bandit. Besides fish, a few of the macros melted and some just didn’t work out so the tank is now more soft corals. Also picked up a 3 head hammer and some pavona for the tank.

after all that I keep thinking and not liking the dimensions of the tank tank much as it doesn’t allow a lot of height to scape with or have corals grow. So I think I will look to get a taller tank or even a cube tank around the 10-19 gallon range. I did see a JBJ 12 gallon cube for sale on marketplace so I’ll talk with that guy about maybe doing that closer to August. 

FD273B02-CD91-4645-A0A9-83800119AF07.jpeg

BED5E2C5-CAC9-4353-8D25-17A951062C76.jpeg

F1901C30-F2D8-4984-9076-76D22B892069.jpeg

89B539EA-858A-44D3-8346-17A45863C292.jpeg

• Like 1
cheesesteak

Looking good! That hammer is huge and it fills in that space nicely. Are you going to replace this tank with the cube? You might be able to rearrange the rock or even remove some for some more height if you're looking to find more room for corals! 

14 hours ago, cheesesteak said:

Looking good! That hammer is huge and it fills in that space nicely. Are you going to replace this tank with the cube? You might be able to rearrange the rock or even remove some for some more height if you're looking to find more room for corals! 

I think this tank will become the cube, might take the transfer to change up the style of tank for more macro and less coral again. Still deciding if I should make a new thread or add the cube to this one 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, cheesesteak said:

Thats awful! I'm sorry to hear that. Are you still thinking of setting up the cube? 

Maybe as betta tanks

• 2 weeks later...

So I keep going back and forth between reef or no reef...just like my college is going back and forth between having us on campus or making us stay home. I have 3 tank options (well kind of 4)

1. Restart UNS (home or dorm)

pros

-lower cost

-easier WC

-AIO

-Has stand

-have lights 

cons

-less tank volume

-possible harder to maintain 

-less stocking options 

-less depth

2. Start JBJ 12G 

pros

-bit more cost

-still easier WC

-AIO

-Cube shape

-Built in hood 

cons

-curved edges

-PC edition so need new lights

-maybe a bit more cost 

-no stand

-probably only at dorm

3. UNS & JBJ (at dorm)

pro

-can have different stocking

cons

-more work

-more money

-more moving hassle 

4. 20 Long

-more volume

-more stocking options

Cons

-more money 

-more work

-more to move

-takes up a lot of space

-need stand

-need lights

-not AIO

It almost seems like I have figured it out, but I really don’t like how small the UNS really is. Great for moving and WC but it’s sooo limited it scaling and stocking

Update:

emailed my professor hoping to get more clarity on what’s going on this upcoming semester and he stated that all his classes and labs will be online, therefore I think a reef will be the way to go. Already got approval from the mother to have it in my tank so that’s good, besides that...not much else has changed. Still have to go get my JBJ and a few other things. Also still deciding on wether to get KP Live rock or use dry rock