inTank Media Baskets

Simply Salty UNS 45a: NEW STUFF

CD_Scapes

Could this actually be a true tank build that stays setup for longer than 4 months...who knows, but I hope so. Like most of my builds the tank will have to include macroalgea and soft coral, I'm not a huge hard coral person for some reason. This build could also semi look similar to how @Tigahboys tank build will look like as I will have the same tank and rocks, but besides that I think everything will be different. Keeping it simple as I will have to move the tank from the dorm for winter break (or at least a week or two for Christmas) and I keep thinking of maybe not having a fish and just get some inverts as the main stocking. More to come as I get my paychecks, tank could be ordered on Friday

FTS June 2020

IMG_4186.thumb.jpg.99b3e5ce56f2464d3ef61c35cf0431ff.jpg

FTS May 2020

IMG_3877.thumb.jpg.4d27ec83f8e171d7c952791300d73e72.jpg

Equipment and things

Tank- UNS 45a 

Light-18” Current USA ramp pro 2 x Pixie 30 LEDs

Heater-Finnext HMA-S 50W   

Temp Control-Inkbird ITC-308SA  

Auto top off-Duetto

Return- Sicce 0.5

Filtration

Flow-Aqamai KPS 

Biomedia-2” Marinepure cubes 

Bacteria#1-Fritz Turbostart

Hardscape

Sand-10lbs Fiji pink  10lbs ocean direct

Rock-10lbs KPaquatics rock  LFS liverock

Dosing (eventually)

Pumps-Komer X1

Reservoirs-Nalgene 64oz bottles w/Murlok bluksheads

Dosing-Brightwell Chaetogrow, Ferrous Iron, Neonitro, Alk, Reefsnow

Livestock

Something that swims and somethings that have shells 

Fish 

- 1 x Pygmy Red Rooster Waspfish (Paracentropogon zonatus)

SIP Clyde 6/12/2020

Sessile and Chill Invertebrates

Inverts

- 3 x feather dusters

Corals

- Purple plating sponge

Zoas

-Green Mouth/Brown Disc/Green Lashes

Macro

Red/Brown

- Red bubble

-Red "throny" ogo

-Red ogo

Green

- Codium

-Green ogo

-Caulerpa prolifera

Moving and Grooving Invertebrates

- 2 x White claw hermit

-2 x Dwarf blue hermit

- 3 x Green porcelain crab

- 4 x Peppermint shrimp

- Dwarf cerith

- Fly speckled cerith

- Flordia cerith

- Marginella snail

- Nassarius vibex

- Ninja star snail

-Trochus snails

- Money cowrie

- Peppermint shrimp

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Could this actually be a true tank build that stays setup for longer than 4 months...who knows, but I hope so. Like most of my builds the tank will have to include macroalgea and soft coral, I'm not a huge hard coral person for some reason. This build could also semi look similar to how @Tigahboys tank build will look like as I will have the same tank and rocks, but besides that I think everything will be different. Keeping it simple as I will have to move the tank from the dorm for winter break (or at least a week or two for Christmas) and I keep thinking of maybe not having a fish and just get some inverts as the main stocking. More to come as I get my paychecks, tank could be ordered on Friday

Equipment and things

Tank- UNS 45a

Light-18” Current USA ramp pro

Heater-Finnext HMA-S 50W   

Temp Control-Inkbird ITC-308SA  

Auto top off-Duetto

Filtration

Flow-Aqamai KPS 

Biomedia-2” Marinepure cubes 

Bacteria#1-Fritz Turbostart

Bacteria #2-PNS Probio

Hardscape

Sand-10lbs Fiji pink 

Rock-10lbs KPaquatics rock 

Dosing (eventually)

Pumps-Komer X1

Reservoirs-Nalgene 64oz bottles w/Murlok bluksheads

Dosing-Brightwell Chaetogrow and Ferrous Iron

Livestock

Something that swims and somethings that have shells 

Exciting! omgomgomg

3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Exciting! omgomgomg

Im soooo excited tooo, except I REALLLY want a fire shrimp but the current pandemic is making that near impossible to source

• Sad 1

Looked on Tannin Aquatics this morning to see if that 45a was available and was heartbroken that it was sold out (I was a day too late). I messaged Tannin and they got in contact with UNS to back order and drop ship the tank for me. Amazing company and so happy that I could get my tank from them. Sooo that means that I’m getting the heater/ink bird this paycheck. Doesn’t make sense to get the sand yet I don’t think, maybe I’ll get the wavemaker too

• Like 1

I can get Rock and sand from Gulf live for $120 or KP rock and Fiji pink sand for $145 or do 10lbs of Gulf Live rock and Fiji pink sand for $95. I just like the idea of having both sand and rock from the gulf area as it would have lots of critters and tons of bacteria that aren't really found in the hobby so the tank could be more stable from the beginning, im thinking. Got payed yesterday so I can get more supplies for the build and was thinking of getting the ATO and heaters for now. Lights and wavemaker can come later as the tank won't be filled for a bit and I want the tank to be as stable as possible with the ATO right away. 

• Like 1

I love the quality (texture, porosity, low density, internal structure, shape) of the rock from KP aquatic. From the pictures I have seen of gulf, their rock is significantly denser and have less dynamic internal structures. They also look more boulder like.  But that’s just my opinion. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, William said:

I love the quality (texture, porosity, low density, internal structure, shape) of the rock from KP aquatic. From the pictures I have seen of gulf, their rock is significantly denser and have less dynamic internal structures. They also look more boulder like.  But that’s just my opinion. 

I noticed that, but also looks like Gulf has more “live stuff” on their rock (especially the “illegal” hard corals)

Update:

I finally got to go to my LFS since all this COVID stuff start and was a bit heart broken when I walked in to see a whole system empty as well as very few fish and things. I knew it would be that way, but seeing it in person was a lot harder to handle than I expected. I did how ever find what I think will be the rocks I am getting for the tank as they had really nice shape and some macroalgae growth/photosynthetic sponge on them so thats awesome. I will also be doing my BRS order through my LFS so that I can support them through all of this. Another thing is just as I was leaving I saw a tag labeled "waspfish" and did not think much of it as I assumed they were the larger ones. I asked the owner to see them and turns out they are the Red pygmy rooster waspfish and they are eating frozen foods sooooooo....I might have reserved them for when I get the tank all setup. I have wanted them for years, but was scared to buy a fish that can be so hard to get onto frozen. The world must have aligned as they have been eating well and in the store for a few months, so I got my dream fish and the dream tank all in a week (still waiting for tank to ship).

IMG_3760.thumb.jpg.c25dc11808945c2d0fa8662f409179e7.jpg

Ordering some bacteria from Algaebarn today I think and then all that needs to be ordered is the dosing stuff, but that can wait. Maybe I should get a testing kit too...hmmm that can come later 🤣

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SliceGolfer said:

Where in MN are you? Which LFS?

Near Fargo (so I guess North Dakota) at Midwest Aquarium Services

SliceGolfer

Ahh you’re way up North! Is it hard finding livestock and supplies or does your LFS normally maintain a good variety? We’ve got two great reef shops down here in the cities, both going strong but some supplies are getting hard to come by. Problem is the distribution channels.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SliceGolfer said:

Ahh you’re way up North! Is it hard finding livestock and supplies or does your LFS normally maintain a good variety? We’ve got two great reef shops down here in the cities, both going strong but some supplies are getting hard to come by. Problem is the distribution channels.

He has more common fish, but can get really anyfish you need. The special thing is that he has some cool macroalgaes and a massive colony of purple plating photosynthetic sponge (I think I'm getting both). Supplies are meh, most of the things I get supply wise come from online 

• Like 1

Update II of the Day:

SO ummm I got nearly everything but the fish, pods and some other small things ordered for the tank today. So I guess I will have everything here in the coming week or so, realized that if I have my fish reserved at the store I should get the tank up sooner or later so they don't have to care for them as long...I also kinda want my tank up and running by the end of June anyways. Although just remembered that the house is getting new flooring so I might need to find a place for the tank, hopefully flooring is in by this week.

Ordered so far:

Tannin Aquatics

-UNS 45a

Petco

-Aqamai KPS wavemaker

-API phosphate kit

"BRS" (LFS order)

-2 x HMA-S 50 watt heaters

-Inkbird temp controller

-Duetto ATO

-10lbs Fiji pink sand

Amazon

-2 x Pixie 30 marine LEDs

Algaebarn

-Fritz Turbostart

-3 x Marinepure 2" cubes

LFS

-Live rock

-2 x Pygmy red rooster waspfish

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Update:

I finally got to go to my LFS since all this COVID stuff start and was a bit heart broken when I walked in to see a whole system empty as well as very few fish and things. I knew it would be that way, but seeing it in person was a lot harder to handle than I expected. I did how ever find what I think will be the rocks I am getting for the tank as they had really nice shape and some macroalgae growth/photosynthetic sponge on them so thats awesome. I will also be doing my BRS order through my LFS so that I can support them through all of this. Another thing is just as I was leaving I saw a tag labeled "waspfish" and did not think much of it as I assumed they were the larger ones. I asked the owner to see them and turns out they are the Red pygmy rooster waspfish and they are eating frozen foods sooooooo....I might have reserved them for when I get the tank all setup. I have wanted them for years, but was scared to buy a fish that can be so hard to get onto frozen. The world must have aligned as they have been eating well and in the store for a few months, so I got my dream fish and the dream tank all in a week (still waiting for tank to ship).

IMG_3760.thumb.jpg.c25dc11808945c2d0fa8662f409179e7.jpg

Ordering some bacteria from Algaebarn today I think and then all that needs to be ordered is the dosing stuff, but that can wait. Maybe I should get a testing kit too...hmmm that can come later 🤣

That is an amazing fish and you are lucky 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, William said:

That is an amazing fish and you are lucky 

I couldn’t even believe it, they had 3 since the start of winter and only sold one. When I saw the one I knew I had to have them both

• CD_Scapes changed the title to Simply Salty Lifeguard 10?

Monday May 18th

Well I feel like I should not be able to buy things at night as the tank has not even confirmed to be shipped yet and I was stupid to buy livestock as seen in the pictures below. I did however make sure the they could be held at the LFS so that I can have a place to hold them, I also will have the packages shipped to my workplace as well. The first order is from ReefCleaners and the second was my first ever order from KP Aquatics, should have placed the KP order sooner so I could have gotten the blue zoas instead of the green ones as the tank has a lot of green already. Actually, the KP order just shipped so it will be here Wednesday or Thursday at the latest and Reefcleaners will be here Thursday or Friday. Oh and the lights will already be here tomorrow at sometime while I am at work

IMG_3791.thumb.jpg.a44287a36042ff48fb0f107fbb5775b4.jpg

IMG_3790.thumb.jpg.d64c02b8381abaae692c8859c718d1f8.jpg

In other news, UNS has not been responding to communication attempts with the company I am buying the tank though, so I will more than likely buying the lifeguard 10 gallon AIO which is nearly the same tank with a bit different chambers and return pump. The lifeguard and UNS have the same dimensions so none of the plans will change, only the brand of tank. I have made an ideal tank layout that I have included below, I would like more red in the tank though so I will have to plan a bit more.

IMG_3805.thumb.jpg.9dd6c987e2d19edb7e61cfd67fa7afe5.jpg

• Like 2

Update 5/18 Part II

Well I have news and package updates for anyone who is seeing this or is following along, so here we gooo!

First off, I got to see both of the wasp fish and I do believe that I will have a Male/Famale pair! If I remeber right the females have rounder dorsal spines and the males have sharper dorsal spines. I would go look to make sure but it seems Lionfish lair is down and wont be coming back online which is a blow to the saltwater predator hobby. Lionfish lair was where I first learned about and fell in love with the rooster waspfish, sad to see it go. 

Confirmed Male(Note the very sharp front dorsal spines) :

IMG_3760.thumb.jpg.5dfe194bab9bca670c9c340676e5910d.jpg

Possible Female (Note the dull or rounded front dorsal spines):

IMG_3828.thumb.jpg.226311580bf99c2160f8094531bc56f4.jpg

Secondly, I picked out pieces of live rock for my tank and actually took a picture (a very crappy one as the light was off) of said rock, I am thinking this will be my "showpiece" rock and has a nice clump of caulerpa prolifera and some photosyntheic purple plating sponge on it!

IMG_3833.thumb.jpg.1d2fd4380f2676d0d8b61d1eca8ec2d5.jpg

Lastly is a schedule of when all the things are coming for my tank build:

Tuesday 5/19

- Pixie 30 lights

- Test kit

- Aqamai wavemaker

- KP Aquatics?

Wednesday 5/20

- KP Aquatics?

Thursday 5/21

- Reefcleaners?

Friday 5/22

- Lifeguard 10 gallon AIO

- Fritz turbostart

- Mairnepure cubes

- Reefcleaners?

Wednesday 5/27

- Finnex heaters

- Inkbird temp controller

- Duetto ATO

- Live sand?

Update Wednesday 5/20
well this is awkward...the UNS tank showed up today even though me or Tannin Aquatics never got word that the tank was being shipped to me. So now I am having the LifeGuard 10 AIO turned around. I guess I can’t complain much because the UNS tank is amazing, the clarity and those 45 degree corners are to die for, the only negative is that the wall is semi see through and my pump hose is too short. The Pixies fit on perfectly (a bit of overhang, but maybe I can jam an air plant of two on the overhang. Right @Tigahboy? Just make sure they don’t fall in the water 😂. Besides the weird surprise morning shipment I do believe my wave maker will be here and the KP order is being shipped to my job. Can’t do anything until the flooring gets replaced upstairs and I might be building a stand with my grandfather too, so that will be fun. I think that is about all I have to update on, hope everything else with this build goes smooth 🤦‍♂️

• CD_Scapes changed the title to Simply Salty UNS 45a: The Hive

Update 5/24

alot of things have happened over the past couple of days, including one or two packages but four of them. The first two were my KP and reefcleaners orders which came in perfect condition. Lots of snails, few hermits and the porcelain crabs are soooo cool!

3AB06197-9918-4169-AFD9-873B60CB3B9E.thumb.jpeg.1233b73a8e6461af522b006a8c586c44.jpeg

I also got my florida pets pods order about a week before schedule, sooo they went to the LFS too. Crazy amount of pods and I also got 2 blue legs hermits and peppermint shrimp. The weird part about these peppermint shrimp is that they have blueish tails (didn’t get a pic).

on top of all of that, I got to drive out to the grandparents house and built my stand for the aquarium. It took 12 hours and it didn’t turn out as well as we thought, but I’m happy with it. The top have a lip so the tank sit right inside on the stabilizing mat. We tried magnetic patches for the door but it wouldn't hold so I’m getting hinges to make a door. Besides that I am currently paining the stand black and it should be done tonight OR after work tomorrow. 
9EBCA599-D3CB-4164-8F83-0171AA839FE1.thumb.jpeg.4230a846141f086b87b99346119e4da1.jpeg

While at my grandparents I decided to visit their LFS and it was awesome. The store has a whole wall of smaller tanks where the inverts go as well as macroalgea and some soft corals. In the center there are 3 lowboy tanks and in one of them I spied a gem tang! I went there to get 10lbs of sand and I got 2 bags of the 5lb ocean direct sand (my favorite). I might have also done a dumb thing and got a Miami vice frag...it was only $35 and has at least 25-30 polyps. I guess my tank will be a reef more than macro tank. They had a big display that was all soft coral too, one thing I noticed was the Kenya tree was blueish with green polyp tips. 
CE68ED95-4E53-49DB-BA7A-D8C52AA5A02C.thumb.jpeg.23355e474883a40deb4cae7c1ca48d30.jpeg

After all of this, tank should hopefully be wet by Wednesday and Friday at the latest! Fish hopefully next Saturday! *Im using cycled water, live rock, live sand, and live bacteria*

Update 5/28

Got my ink bird, heaters, and duetto yesterday from the LFS, all looks good so far. I did a water test yesterday and everything is working fine except the Aqamai KPS, it was wokring fine in the 5 gallon  bucket test and now it is saying the rotor is "jammed" which I tried cleaning to no avail, so now I am getting a replacement shipped today and hopefully that one works for me. Got word that tank cannot be setup for about another month due to house renovations which really stinks. Besides that the tank is doing fine, not a ton to update on. I did trade in my Nuvo 6 for a colony of colt coral and I think a KP order is coming today too

Update 6/2

I GOT FISH! Everyone meet Bonnie and Clyde

796694C4-B498-45BC-911C-BC437DB9A2A4.thumb.jpeg.8a33e4e9b6bf5f8d5ddaba0f6970b514.jpeg

Also got rocks, although I’m not feeling the structure on the left side and I’m still thinking of getting more macro

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Thought I would do a little update on things going on with this tank. Firstly the female waspfish it a champ at eating and always comes out when I’m near the tank. The male one the other hand hides and rarely eats which is conserning. The peppermint shrimp rarely comes out to which seems out of character for a peppermint shrimp. I have spent the greater part of the past few days to try and think about the way I want this tank to go and the goals/vision. I am leaning towards a Ricordea sandbed, Wild zoas on the rocks and then maybe a few gorgs 

• CD_Scapes changed the title to Simply Salty UNS 45a: NEW STUFF

Friday 6/12

Woke up and went to look at the tank to find that Clyde was dead, must have happned recently as none of the crabs, shrimp or snails had got to him yet. I noticed he would hide alot and not eat very much, upon close insepction he choked on a chunk of sand. Not a great way to start a friday off, SIP Clyde. 

IMG_4314.thumb.jpg.cf89c8d59251b15a33d56ec2e48178dc.jpgIMG_4315.thumb.jpg.b2d736941abfd206df4c9cec0cdb221d.jpgIMG_4317.thumb.jpg.7a743769dc5b8f53ff4111e12bab7950.jpg

In other news I received a refund for the Aqamai powerheads that did not work from the box, so I ordered a few things for the tank. Mainly more macro, but I did order a trio of feather dusters to add more life into the tank. I was going to get some ricoridea or wild zoas as gulf ecosystem restocked, but those can wait. I will also be getting a sicce 0.5 return pump as well as my dosing supplements on tuesday I believe. Oh and I'm loving my porcelian crabs so much that I REALLLY want like a dozen of them in my tank

IMG_4299.thumb.jpg.b645cabe236d6dff4456fa77b74bafe0.jpgIMG_4298.thumb.jpg.26499b11f23343728b142e7e17dcb785.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Last day of June already! Tank has seen a few changes, biggest is that the waspfish is no longer in the tank. I did add more softies and some other zoas to my garden as well as some pavona. Bigger update and updated FTS will come tomorrow!