ReefCleaners.org

Cloudy water

Tom lilley

Tom lilley

Hi Guys, 

I set my 50 gallon mbuna tank up 4 weeks ago I currently have 5 fish present my tank was crystal clear after 2 weeks, Ph 8 Low nitrate levels so all good algea started to appear in wk3 but this week the water has become cloudy almost hazy, I am just about to purchase a cannister filter will this help? I am using a polishing pad at the moment to try and clear any particulates in the water colum any advice would be great! 

Did you wash the sand prior to use? 

Is the sand stirred or vacuumed weekly?

5 fish in 4 weeks is pretty quick. Could be bacterial bloom if its white, if the water is greenish it's a phyto bloom.

What filtration system is currently being used

Tom lilley

Hi thanks for the reply

Yes I washed the sand well, I had some seeded media I used in the filter to kick start the tank I have the juwel bioflow m and a jbl crustal profi cannister filter running as its a chihlid tank I will be slightly over stocking to curb agression

Sounds like a bacterial bloom, yeah. But this is a forum for small reef tanks, not freshwater cichlid tanks, so you may want to go elsewhere if you need specific advice.