inTank Media Baskets

Budget Jar

COreefer

Hello, I like a lot of people have been in and out of reefing over the years.  I reluctantly sold my 75 gallon setup a few months ago, but setup a bunch of other smaller aquariums until I had the time/money for a large reef tank again.  One of the small tanks I wanted to get going was this nano jar.  Right before I took a break, I had this jar setup and was doing a macro algae tank but this time I have a different plan in mind.  I wanted to create a budget nano tank, with the idea that this setup will only be with things that I already have on hand and stocked with either corals that are under $10 or free items.  With that being said lets get this started.

Setup

Glass Jar (3 gal I think)

ABI 12w Tuna Blue LED

Old Desk lamp

Wood lamp stand from scraps

Aqueon 10w mini heater

Penn Plax small world filter (filled with Aqua Clear bio max)

Sand and rocks from my old tank

Inhabitants

Free 3 stripe Dansel

I apologize for the clutter in the pics, I just finished putting a satin coat of poly on the wood light stand and wanted to see what it looks like.  I have cycled the tank and just have the damsel currently but will be moving him to a 55 gallon in the future.  Current plan is to stock with softies and possibly goby/shrimp combo.

IMG_9179.thumb.JPG.7432777a98f9795fc67d46dc4e3aa6c4.JPGIMG_6718.thumb.JPG.b9f10d1220d342fe333c224468cce974.JPG

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, COreefer said:

Hello, I like a lot of people have been in and out of reefing over the years.  I reluctantly sold my 75 gallon setup a few months ago, but setup a bunch of other smaller aquariums until I had the time/money for a large reef tank again.  One of the small tanks I wanted to get going was this nano jar.  Right before I took a break, I had this jar setup and was doing a macro algae tank but this time I have a different plan in mind.  I wanted to create a budget nano tank, with the idea that this setup will only be with things that I already have on hand and stocked with either corals that are under $10 or free items.  With that being said lets get this started.

Setup

Glass Jar (3 gal I think)

ABI 12w Tuna Blue LED

Old Desk lamp

Wood lamp stand from scraps

Aqueon 10w mini heater

Penn Plax small world filter (filled with Aqua Clear bio max)

Sand and rocks from my old tank

Inhabitants

Free 3 stripe Dansel

I apologize for the clutter in the pics, I just finished putting a satin coat of poly on the wood light stand and wanted to see what it looks like.  I have cycled the tank and just have the damsel currently but will be moving him to a 55 gallon in the future.  Current plan is to stock with softies and possibly goby/shrimp combo.

IMG_9179.thumb.JPG.7432777a98f9795fc67d46dc4e3aa6c4.JPGIMG_6718.thumb.JPG.b9f10d1220d342fe333c224468cce974.JPG

Very cute...... I like the wood stand. 

• Like 1

Very cool set up.

I loved my reef jar, it was so fun to care for.

The tuna blue is such a great light! 

Watch the aqueon 10w heater. They don't turn off.

• Like 2

@WV Reefer Thank you, it came about because I needed a way to raised the lamp above the jar and I thought it would be cool to cut out the base so the jar looks like its a part of the stand.  Another reason for design is this sits on my kitchen counter and I can see it while sitting on my couch. 😃

@Clown79 I also like the jar format and thought it would be cool to contrast a budget setup with one that has $$ in it.  As for the heater Im under the impression that it cuts off at 78/79 but you can't adjust the temp.  I have read it will get hotter than that, but willing to take a risk and keep an eye on it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, COreefer said:

@WV Reefer Thank you, it came about because I needed a way to raised the lamp above the jar and I thought it would be cool to cut out the base so the jar looks like its a part of the stand.  Another reason for design is this sits on my kitchen counter and I can see it while sitting on my couch. 😃

@Clown79 I also like the jar format and thought it would be cool to contrast a budget setup with one that has $$ in it.  As for the heater Im under the impression that it cuts off at 78/79 but you can't adjust the temp.  I have read it will get hotter than that, but willing to take a risk and keep an eye on it.

I used the heater in my jar and previously with a betta.

I had constant over heating even when I controlled it with a timer to turn on and off. I thought I'd warn you.

It's a common complaint with those mini heaters. 

I switched to the tetra which does turn off once it hits 78. 

There are other good options if you need to change it.

• Like 1