Top Shelf Aquatics

Magnetic Rock or DIY

alfredt

Greetings All,

So I'm looking into adding some rock/cliffs to the back of my 7 gallon glass nano tank. 2 questions come into mind: 1st, do I go magnetic, but expensive and not too many options. Or, 2, do i just DIY and adhere it to the back of the glass. If it's the later, what adhesive do I use for rock to glass that's safe and will stick with underwater application?

Not a large cliff, just maybe a small 'bump'...

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:07 AM, alfredt said:

Greetings All,

So I'm looking into adding some rock/cliffs to the back of my 7 gallon glass nano tank. 2 questions come into mind: 1st, do I go magnetic, but expensive and not too many options. Or, 2, do i just DIY and adhere it to the back of the glass. If it's the later, what adhesive do I use for rock to glass that's safe and will stick with underwater application?

I bought my magnetic rocks from bulk reef supply.....they would be way too large for a 7 gallon though.  For small tanks, @NanoRox makes some nice pieces. 

• Like 1
On 5/12/2020 at 9:07 AM, alfredt said:

Greetings All,

I'de be happy to make you something.  nanos are my specialty OR the magnetic wall (or two) on my website may work.  www.nanorox.com

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Be advised those are plastic rocks...as long as that works for you. 👍

the magnetic pieces are resin.  custom pieces are not "plastic".  They are sculpted from a product called Habitat Black which is used in aquarium and zoo displays.  Please feel free to ask any questions. 

The OP was talking about rock.

I was quoting your FAQ that specifically addresses this question:

https://nanorox.com/faq
(emphasis mine)

”Are NanorOx made out of rock? What is the material?

NanorOx are made of all aquarium safe materials by Smooth-On.  They are first cast in reef safe resin and are then expertly painted in water based acrylics and finally sealed in a tough plastic encapsulant to provide extra strength and durability. NanoRox ARE NOT live rocks!”

No questions here.  👍

5 hours ago, mcarroll said:

The OP was talking about rock.

I was quoting your FAQ that specifically addresses this question:

https://nanorox.com/faq
(emphasis mine)

”Are NanorOx made out of rock? What is the material?

NanorOx are made of all aquarium safe materials by Smooth-On.  They are first cast in reef safe resin and are then expertly painted in water based acrylics and finally sealed in a tough plastic encapsulant to provide extra strength and durability. NanoRox ARE NOT live rocks!”

No questions here.  👍

not arguing with you.  providing detail as to what they are made of.  as I noted on the web and here, the magnetic pieces are cast in resin and then further sealed with tarbender.  The "not plastic" comment was referring to the custom pieces.    Its all good. 

• Like 1