inTank Media Baskets

Calcium reactor for nano 14g reef tank

mameroo

I just got this calcium reactor setup for a great deal $40 Canadian dollars.

My tank is still cycling at the moment, I won't be using it any time soon. 

Did anyone use this Acro-Cal Calacium Reactor before.

Is it safe to use calcium reactor in a 14gallon  full established Nano spa tank 

Just Trying to learn more about it before the time. 

20200511_153846.jpg

20200511_153924.jpg

20200511_153905.jpg

I have never seen someone use (or recommend) a calcium reactor for a tank under 40g.

Maybe a 40g absolutely packed with SPS. 

I think most would say that your 14g's consumption is just not enough to warrant a reactor and that you would likely be accepting significant risk. Almost no rule for error or mishap with such a small volume (pH or alk -based crash). Better off with a doser.

• Like 1

Thanks spencer7 for the reply, 

I Probably wouldn't use it on this system, the only reason I got it was the price is right. 

I'll save it for future tank upgrade . This reactor comes with dosing pump that I'll probably use for my 14g 

15892756336454722634732602844895.jpg

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mameroo said:

Thanks spencer7 for the reply, 

I Probably wouldn't use it on this system, the only reason I got it was the price is right. 

I'll save it for future tank upgrade . This reactor comes with dosing pump that I'll probably use for my 14g 

No problem 🙂  just my perspective. I was curious if someone would come in here talking about their nano calc reactor success.

I'm anxious for the day I have a tank big enough to justify a reactor (maybe something 36-42x24x24" after grad school...)

No real experience with kalkwasser (also probably not worth it for a nano).

• Like 1

You could do it, and it could work well on a very high demand tank.

but I would use a doser for the flow rate and I would have a PH sensor in tank as well as the reaction chamber. I certainly don’t think it is the easiest or the cheapest way to do it,

but it can certainly be done. I seriously considered using one on my 20 gal. I think your 14 gal would

need to be packed with SPS to really warrant it though. 

I think the easiest option for a nano that sized (especially one that is not super packed with SPS) is Tripic Marin’s All-4 -Reef on a single doser 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, William said:

but I would use a doser for the flow rate and I would have a PH sensor in tank as well as the reaction chamber. I certainly don’t think it is the easiest or the cheapest way to do it,

but it can certainly be done. I seriously considered using one on my 20 gal. I think your 14 gal would

Sure, it's physically possibly...but you start talking about a setup over $500 that takes up more room than the tank that could still nuke if you're not careful.

AND if you ever used a reactor on a 20g, it would be after 2-3 years of dosing two-part to the point where you're adding e.g. 50mL of each a day (probably affecting salinity at that point).

'Seriously considered doing it' doesn't equal 'did it successfully'

• Like 1
7 hours ago, William said:

I'm planning on adding 12" cube sump on my tank. That will add a bit more volume to my tank. What I'm trying to achieve is making my setup with minimum maintenance as much as possible. 

I'll dose calcium at the beginning but if think my setup have high demand on calcium I'll setup this reactor with 2 ph probe as Williams suggest. And I'll DIY algae scrubber since algae consume CO2. The effluent water from calcium reactor will be dripping directly into the algae scrubber.

I don't use kalk or reactor. Not sure the safety or need for a reCtor on a nano.

I focus more on alk consumption than ca. My ca doesn't really move while dosing 2 part which takes 2 mins a day manually.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spencer7 said:

Sure, it's physically possibly...but you start talking about a setup over $500 that takes up more room than the tank that could still nuke if you're not careful.

AND if you ever used a reactor on a 20g, it would be after 2-3 years of dosing two-part to the point where you're adding e.g. 50mL of each a day (probably affecting salinity at that point).

I just got lucky on the calcium reactor. Complete setup( reactor, continuous dosing pump, co2 tank and regulator with solenoid) for $40 CAD = $28.48 USD 

All what I need is media and ph controller 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spencer7 said:

No problem 🙂  just my perspective. I was curious if someone would come in here talking about their nano calc reactor success.

I'm anxious for the day I have a tank big enough to justify a reactor (maybe something 36-42x24x24" after grad school...)

No real experience with kalkwasser (also probably not worth it for a nano).

7 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't use kalk or reactor. Not sure the safety or need for a reCtor on a nano.

I focus more on alk consumption than ca. My ca doesn't really move while dosing 2 part which takes 2 mins a day manually.

Curious why everyone is so against kalk on a nano? It's by far the simplest way to maintain CA/Alk when your usage is low-moderate and doesn't require any extra equipment. I've been running my 20g SPS and large LPS packed tank on kalk for years. Knock on wood, but I haven't had a spike or lose an acro in almost 3 years.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Spencer7 said:

Im not saying he should do it, but I am saying that it is possible and could be useful under the right circumstances (like the ones you Indicate). I also said that it would not be the easiest or most cost effective way Of Maintaining Ca, Alk, and trace elements. If you looks at my second post you will see that I offered a much simpler method .....

• Like 2
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

What a lucky find! Whatever you do end up doing with it, I'd like to see. Who knows? maybe an aquarium full of Birdsnest or Green Slimers! Make it so tangled that you can dub the tank your crown of thorns.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Curious why everyone is so against kalk on a nano? It's by far the simplest way to maintain CA/Alk when your usage is low-moderate and doesn't require any extra equipment. I've been running my 20g SPS and large LPS packed tank on kalk for years. Knock on wood, but I haven't had a spike or lose an acro in almost 3 years.

For me, I personally like the liquid 2 part.

I used kalk in my 55g. 

55 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

For me, I personally like the liquid 2 part.

I used kalk in my 55g. 

I use Kalk, but I use a dosing pump to feed my DIY Kalk reactor. I don’t like to use Top off, as I don’t want my Kalk dosing to be based on evaporation. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, mameroo said:

I wonder if ViaAqua did a test on 10 gallon tank before they put this product on the market 

15893283453584606227840200788460.jpg

Is it possible? Sure...

However, it's far, far more likely they just ran the numbers and came up with plausible, yet very over estimated, tank sizes just like they do with skimmers and all other aquarium gear. A CARX is just pretty poor choice for a nano, but an excellent choice for a big tank with very high consumption.

• Thanks 1

I would say that there could be an argument that it is a good choice when you have a very high consumption to water volume ratio and a desire to have limited water changes. This situation is highly unique and is therefore extremely uncommon. 

6 hours ago, William said:

I think the easiest option for a nano that sized (especially one that is not super packed with SPS) is Tripic Marin’s All-4 -Reef on a single doser 

Maybe with the Kamoer X1 doser.  I'm considering this set up when my 18g needs to have supplementation. 

6 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Maybe with the Kamoer X1 doser.  I'm considering this set up when my 18g needs to have supplementation. 

That is my current setup 

• Like 1

I have another question.

Can I use this calcium reactor as a sulfur denitrator.??  Would that be safe in nano reef??

I know the co2 cylinder will go to my sodastream machine lol 

3 hours ago, mameroo said:

I have another question.

Can I use this calcium reactor as a sulfur denitrator.??  Would that be safe in nano reef??

You can do whatever you want, but it's going to do nothing but cause issues. Like almost everyone else here, you are probably going to be struggling in a year or three just to keep your nitrates detectable. If they are undetectable and/or out of balance with your phosphates, you just open yourself up to dinos and chrysophytes. Most people in this thread can tell you how fun either of those are.

Use it for the SodaStream, and if that's too boring, build yourself a kegerator.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mameroo said:

I have another question.

I would not use it as a sulfur denitrator, would be way too much of a hassle on that sized tank.

• Like 1