inTank Media Baskets

How cycle a tank with fish, if there is a way.

BettaDragon29

BettaDragon29

I have added my fish to the tank after 60 - 72 hours in order to cycle the tank, but then realized that it takes much longer to cycle. 
please help. I appreciate the help.

Is there any way to continue to cycle the tank with the fish ?

• Like 1

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

58 minutes ago, BettaDragon29 said:

Is there any way to continue to cycle the tank with the fish ?

The fish is an ammonia source; however, the ammonia is toxic to the fish.

What is your setup like?  Dry rock with live sand?  Hopefully you don't have rock which is creating more ammonia.  You might need a product like Seachem Prime, which temporarily converts ammonia to a less toxic ammonium.  The nitrifying bacteria can still use the ammonium and establish the biofilter.

You'd need to dose daily and it will throw off most ammonia tests kits.  I'd use a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge to monitor for toxic ammonia.  After a few weeks, a large water change would probably be in order.

You might also consider a bottled bacteria culture like DrTim's One & Only.  This will shorten the time required to establish the nitrogen cycle.  Although, don't believe claims that a bacteria culture will instantly cycle an aquarium.

• Like 4

Oh, nice betta.  I was thinking it was a reef tank; however, the concept is the same.  Prime can temporarily detoxify ammonia, and One & Only comes in a freshwater version.

• Like 3
BettaDragon29
6 hours ago, seabass said:

Oh, nice betta.  I was thinking it was a reef tank; however, the concept is the same.  Prime can temporarily detoxify ammonia, and One & Only comes in a freshwater version.

Thanks. I really appreciate 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...