ReefCleaners.org

Is this stocking for my new 20 gallon reef tank okay? Or to crowded

BG107

2 Ocellaris Clownfish ( already inside, very small still ) 

1 Firefish 

1 Pajama Cardinal 

1 Cleaner Shrimp 

1 Hermit Crab 

2 snails 

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius

question was dumb

edit: this is my second edit: I asked a question before I said what I said above

The reason I said Question is dumb because I asked a question and thought it was dumb so I edited to that and other people misinterpreted it my apologies 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Maybe he’s new like me just didn’t want to be rude. But yeah it would definitely help if he specified more but oh well. Definitely check out green’s guide that’s pinned. Tells you almost every fish you can keep in different size tanks.

• Like 1

No question is dumb when you are learning.  We have all had them.  Sheesh.

Fish numbers are fine but firefish like to be in groups and may get bullied by the clowns.  They can  be very fragile but they are pretty.  You will need a much larger clean up crew. Lots more snails of mixed variety and a small hermit crab or 2 more.  Just make sure you have empty shells for the hermits to move into as they grow.  Make sure your additions are gradual so your bio-load doesn't go off kilter.  

Just a reminder that the fish in stores are very small but they will grown to their regular size as they age.  So your little clowns will be 2.4-3 inches when mature.   They will also fight like crazy at first until they decide who is the female.  She's the boss.  So don't worry if they look really aggressive it will change.  I was worried the first time I had clowns.  

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.  Most people on the forum will take lots of time to help you.  They will usually want more information about your tank and water, but that is so they can help you figure things out.  Good luck

• Like 2

Agreed.  I like this forum because support people give each other.  So BG107 don't hesitate to ask.  There are a lot of very knowledgeable people who will help.

• Like 2

Thank you so much! That helps a lot, I will look into a better clean of crew! Also I do not want any of my fish to be bullied, so I will hold off on the firefish for now. 

• Like 1

Once you have clowns in the tank you may not be able to add a fire fish.  I tried and my was bullied to death in 2 days.  I think you could in a larger tank, but as cute  as clowns are they are fairly territorial in a small tank.

banasophia
16 hours ago, Crys said:

Once you have clowns in the tank you may not be able to add a fire fish.  I tried and my was bullied to death in 2 days.  I think you could in a larger tank, but as cute  as clowns are they are fairly territorial in a small tank.

Maybe... but I had a clownfish pair, purple firefish, and mandarin in my 16 with no problem... I’ve never had any serious aggression issues with my ocellaris clownfish... probably really depends on the particular fish and the tank.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Maybe... but I had a clownfish pair, purple firefish, and mandarin in my 16 with no problem... I’ve never had any serious aggression issues with my ocellaris clownfish... probably really depends on the particular fish and the tank.

Yep - totally depends on the fish, how large they are when you get them, and where they decide to mark out as their territory. If you've got something like a nem or euphyllia that hosts them, they will never wander more than a couple of inches from it.

It's is definitely possible the clowns won't like the other fish, but it's more likely they will ignore anything else until it comes onto their side of the tank. In a standard 20g tall, clowns will typically occupy roughly 1/2 of the width of the tank and 1/2 the height for a quarter of your total volume and not stray far from there. Even less if they are being hosted.

The bigger issue is clown on clown violence.

• Like 1
On 5/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, Seea said:

question was dumb

Not too long ago you were asking me remarkably similar questions about your clowns and damsel. As long as the topic was posted in good faith, it isn't a dumb question.

• Like 1

Instead of the firefish have you thought about adding a small sand goby like a hi-fin with a pistol shrimp? That way you have and open water fish, a rock/stationary fish and a bottom dwelling fish. They are less likely to fight for territory. 

What @jservedio said. It’s not a dumb question if it’s genuine.  Also, I checked your thread and you did ask an almost identical question just a month ago.  

FD0175F5-FB9D-413E-A95C-223BDA7E61EB.jpeg.8f7766d3cfef12502d9c7dd0268de017.jpeg

OP have you thought about gobies at all?

Chadicus Meridius
13 hours ago, Drew11 said:

@Seea was this question also "dumb" 🤔

Screenshot_20200516-230646.png

No 😂, my earlier question was basically do certain fish produce more waste than others? Clearly my earlier statement was misinterpreted. I don’t think this thread is dumb

2 hours ago, Seea said:

No 😂, my earlier question was basically do certain fish produce more waste than others?

Sorry Seea, didn't mean for people to pile on! In the beginner forum it's basically the same 10 questions asked endlessly in slightly different ws ways. You'll get used to it.

Guys, no need to go through someones post history to call them out. Everyone here is learning and gets frustrated sometimes.

Chadicus Meridius

Sorry for the mis interpretation from my earlier post, I edited it to say the “question was dumb” not this question was dumb sorry, my first post was a question related to the topic and that I thought it was dumb so I edited it and it came out like this question was dumb, I apologize for the what I said and @jservedio it’s 👍. It was just a misunderstanding I deeply apologize 

Chadicus Meridius

What I’m trying to say is the post that says “question was dumb” was edited to say “my question was dumb” because I genuinely thought the question I asked was dumb, but you guys did not see the question before I edited so you guys think I said this question is dumb

Chadicus Meridius

Also just for your information it was an earlier post that I edited because what I said I though was stupid, not this thread. I’m not sure who can see posts before they were edited, but it would prove that I was not trying to be an a hole

Chadicus Meridius
53 minutes ago, aclman88 said:

@jservedio you bring up a good point. Sorry @Seea didn’t realize what you were talking about. Just didn’t want OP to feel dumb for their question. My bad 

It’s totally understandable, my response was vague. It’s ok 

Just a kid

I think your stocking seems totally fine. I have a 20 gallon with 2 clownfish both 1.5 inches and 1 yellow tail damsel 2 inches and the paremeters are in check. I am also adding a royal gramma. You might also be able to get another pajama cardinalfish. They like to have a buddy and if you keep your tank in shape then I would definitely recommend getting another pajama cardinalfish. 

Chriss Fishes

It's funny - it wasn't even 24 hours ago that I was having a conversation with someone about how easy it is to misunderstand each other while texting. This thread is a golden example of that. Glad it's sorted out now, though.

OP, I think your stocking is fine. You're at a comfortable level that'll be sustainable without too much aggression (unless the clowns never pair) or bioload, so the tank should be easy to run.

• Haha 1