SaltCritters.com

Coral hitchhiker

mjleffler

Recently bought a green star polyp and there looks to be a couple ‘slug-like’ creatures that came along with it. Whatever they are, they survived a 8 minute Brightwell Aquatics Medicoral dip. Wondering if I need to take the drag out and redip or manually remove them. Thank you

54520E19-20E8-498E-BC57-76C64733177E.jpeg

145FF69F-FE48-4F64-86F4-D6CBBD33D864.png

I was able to manually remove (what I thought) to be all of them, but found two more on it today. This makes me wonder whether or not they were hitchhikers or already in my tank. It’s a good possibility that I may have missed these two the first time around as I found one of them in a crevice of the plug. Wondering if anyone could give an idea of what they are so I know what I’m dealing with! Thank you.

9DFC87D2-D1BA-42A2-B49A-8D2FA02456B7.jpeg

Hard to tell. Can you catch some without harming them, put them in a white cup (or a clear one on a white surface) with some water, and take some clear, up-close pics?

They look interesting. Stomatella snails, maybe? 

Does anything seem irritated? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I’ve removed them with tweezers and from what I can tell I think that kills them pretty much instantly 😐.  It’s so hard to get a clear picture of them as they’re so small. Stomatella snails seem like a very close fit, as they are very slug like and have antennas, yet I don’t think they have a small flat shell like stomatellas do (I’ve never had stomatella snails so maybe some don’t have shells when they’re very young/small?).

The green polyps were retracted when I got home from work today, but the coral is still very new (got on Saturday) so I’m not sure if it’s just settling in or bothered by the critters.

If you see more, you could use a turkey baster to catch them, or put whatever they're on in a container. Heck, if you see one on the sandbed, get it with a spoon. 

They're possibly some sort of nudibranch, but it's hard to tell. The GSP could just be a bit annoyed, yeah. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Tired said:

If you see more, you could use a turkey baster to catch them, or put whatever they're on in a container. Heck, if you see one on the sandbed, get it with a spoon. 

They're possibly some sort of nudibranch, but it's hard to tell. The GSP could just be a bit annoyed, yeah. 

Managed to get one in a shot glass, this picture might be a bit clearer, my phone just does not want to focus on this little guy...

AE192519-A41A-4548-96BE-5B9CBD5EE644.jpeg

77184D08-FEF8-40C5-ABC7-3B8B7CA6447B.jpeg

08C6FB3E-A0CA-4B9E-8E63-B4AE73E19E87.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh, huh. Cute. The antenna don't look like those of a stomatella, so I'd say that's a nudibranch. The question is what it eats- a lot of them have very specific diets. If you haven't noticed any corals being eaten, it's likely not that. They could be some sort of algae-eater, could be eating some sort of sponge. 

IMO, leave them alone unless you see problems. For all we know, you got some sort of cool, harmless, algae-eating mini nudibranch. If they don't seem to be bothering anything, I'd say it's worth leaving them to find out what they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Tired said:

Oh, huh. Cute. The antenna don't look like those of a stomatella, so I'd say that's a nudibranch. The question is what it eats- a lot of them have very specific diets. If you haven't noticed any corals being eaten, it's likely not that. They could be some sort of algae-eater, could be eating some sort of sponge. 

IMO, leave them alone unless you see problems. For all we know, you got some sort of cool, harmless, algae-eating mini nudibranch. If they don't seem to be bothering anything, I'd say it's worth leaving them to find out what they do.

Thanks for advice! I think these guys have been stressing me out more than the corals themselves... but I’ll definitely be keeping a close eye on everything! Thanks again.