Coral Vue Hydros

KG's Waterbox 10 - Updated FTS 12/13

kguske2

Welcome - after life got too busy, I shut down my previous IM 10 around Christmas 2019. However, the itch for a tank never went away, so here we are! 

Equipment as follows:

- Waterbox Aquariums Cube 10
- AI Prime 16 HD 

- Cobalt MJ Mini 606

- Cobalt Neotherm Heater

- AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro

- MP 10 - Still undecided about using or not

Cycle started with Dr. Tims One and Only on 5/4/20

First FTS - 5/8/20

WaterBox10_FTS_2020_05_08.jpg

FTS 9/14/20

IMG_8596.thumb.jpg.5fdd749bccc015bcf2c6c64c1023db4d.jpg

FTS 12/13/20

IMG_9279.thumb.jpg.efbab0f18865c9b1a84f020a5193cb11.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, da1001 said:

Looks good, how would you compare the IM10 to the Waterbox 10 in terms of build quality and stock parts?

Can’t complain about either really.

I like that the waterbox has thinner silicone lines along the front and that the back chambers extend all the way to the bottom of the tank. 

Im not using the stock sock and holder with

the waterbox and don’t remember what the IM came with so not much to comment on there. 

The stock return pump on the waterbox is a bit noisy, and I actually realized the Sicce 1.0 I planned on using won’t fit, so going to have to figure out another option. 

HeyArnold

The itch never goes away does it? You had some great coral in your old tank. I’m looking forward to see how you go with this one. Do you have an idea on what fish you want to go with?

4 hours ago, HeyArnold said:

The itch never goes away does it? You had some great coral in your old tank. I’m looking forward to see how you go with this one. Do you have an idea on what fish you want to go with?

Thanks! Aiming to try and let things grow more in this tank but I seem to always end up with may too many frags and not enough room. 

Probably going to keep it simple and just go with two clownfish. 

No clowns................sorry just not a fan..................

Glad to see you back......................

Where the hell is @jack1978 aka clown boy...................

• Like 1
8 hours ago, spectra said:

No clowns................sorry just not a fan..................

Glad to see you back......................

Where the hell is @jack1978 aka clown boy...................

3555A010-A3E5-45AD-B49F-539CDE031984.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
partlycloudy531

I’ve always liked LiveAquaria for clownfish. If you purchase ORA fish on their website, it ships directly from ORA and helps cut back the chance of disease and it’s less stressful on the fish, only being bagged and shipped one time. 

• Like 2

Getting a bit of a bacteria bloom in my *super entertaining* tank of water. Cycling is rather boring, if you didn't know 😂

Pretty sure I'll be going with some type of Snowflake clown, and perhaps a goby - hector's or court jester? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, kguske2 said:

Getting a bit of a bacteria bloom in my *super entertaining* tank of water. Cycling is rather boring, if you didn't know 😂

Pretty sure I'll be going with some type of Snowflake clown, and perhaps a goby - hector's or court jester? 

Well if a goby I say skip the clown and just get 3 of these..................

Pet Green Banded Goby For Sale - Pet Fish For Sale - Green Banded ...

Teeny would be proud................:biggrin: had 2 in an IM 10 and loved them...............

• Like 2
Coolbreeze
9 hours ago, spectra said:

Well if a goby I say skip the clown and just get 3 of these..................

Pet Green Banded Goby For Sale - Pet Fish For Sale - Green Banded ...

Teeny would be proud................:biggrin: had 2 in an IM 10 and loved them...............

Interesting....... what is the name of this goby?

Coolbreeze
53 minutes ago, da1001 said:

It's a green banded goby

Thanks. Still looking for livestock for the new build and I must say this would be an interesting addition.

• Like 1

Tank cycle is dragging on over here. Been adding ammonia along the guidelines of the Dr. Tim's One and Only method. 

Ammonia seemingly wouldn't drop below 2ppm, while I was getting nitrites and I was seeing nitrates increase, so I did a 50% water change over the weekend and will see how things look from here. Water has been pretty cloudy for about a week now too. First time in setting up a few tanks I've run into any "issues" (really just prolonged cycling) when using Dr. Tims. 

22 minutes ago, kguske2 said:

Tank cycle is dragging on over here. Been adding ammonia along the guidelines of the Dr. Tim's One and Only method. 

Ammonia seemingly wouldn't drop below 2ppm, while I was getting nitrites and I was seeing nitrates increase, so I did a 50% water change over the weekend and will see how things look from here. Water has been pretty cloudy for about a week now too. First time in setting up a few tanks I've run into any "issues" (really just prolonged cycling) when using Dr. Tims. 

Could be bacterial bloom.  I set up my cube years ago with live sand and dry rock.  Was cloudy for a couple days - never cleared.... thought it was just the fines from the sand.  Then one day it was white as milk.  Used a UV sterilizer and crystal clear the next morning.  Just an idea if it doesn’t clear soon.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, kguske2 said:

Where did the Dr Tims come from ? any chance it was old ? used it a couple times with no issues.......tank cycled very quickly for me.

15 hours ago, spectra said:

Where did the Dr Tims come from ? any chance it was old ? used it a couple times with no issues.......tank cycled very quickly for me.

Got it from Amazon, but it had an expiration date that was well ahead of now - don't remember the exact date, but I remember checking before using to make sure it wasn't expired.

14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

What's your livestock plan this time??  

I've never truly perfected the vision I've had for any of my tanks, as they always seem to end up a mix of tons of frags that I don't let grow in. Trying to avoid that this time.

Aiming for some type of plate or scoly on the sandbed, chalice on the little rock island at the right front of the tank, zoa garden on one side of the rockwork, and shrooms/ricordea on the other side. 

• Like 2

Cycle "restart" seems to have worked, or enough time has passed any my meddling didn't even matter 🤷‍♂️

Ammonia dropping to 0 in ~36 hours of being added, nitrites rising/falling, and nitrates rising.

No cloudy water anymore either  🎉

• Like 4