SaltCritters.com

big help. tang skin going off

ireef25

Hi everyone .

How you doing .hope all are doing good .stay safe

I have huge question . I was not home for a month and notice my tang looks like it had damaged his face looking a food in the liverock .

But I'm but suspicious  if it's some kinda of a sickness. That I could treat and save my tang .

I'm not sure what it is . Please guide me

Thank you

20200509_051815.jpg

20200509_052818.jpg

20200509_051851.jpg

Screenshot_20200509-051554_Video Player.jpg

• Sad 1

Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Very common in tangs. I don't know much about treatment, so hopefully someone else will chime in there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, RedCrow said:

Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Very common in tangs. I don't know much about treatment, so hopefully someone else will chime in there. 

@Humblefishshould be able to help.

From my understanding the following can cause/contribute to it:

Low quality carbon

Poor diet

Stray voltage 

Bad water quality

Stressful environment

Make sure it's getting plenty of nori and consider adding selcon or zoecon to its food.

• Like 2
Humblefish

Probably HLLE: 

But just to double check something... Have you ever seen white stringy poo come out of this fish? There is an internal parasitic diplomonad (Hexamita) which migrates from the GI tract to the sensory pores (on the head), and can cause pits like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, DreC80 said:

@Humblefishshould be able to help.

From my understanding the following can cause/contribute to it:

Low quality carbon

Poor diet

Stray voltage 

Bad water quality

Stressful environment

Make sure it's getting plenty of nori and consider adding selcon or zoecon to its food.

Thanks for the help. I believe poor diet  and my yellow tang keeps harassing  him .my nori stock is over need to get some .its kinda hard to get supply due to the lockdown. 

7 hours ago, Humblefish said:

Probably HLLE: 

But just to double check something... Have you ever seen white stringy poo come out of this fish? There is an internal parasitic diplomonad (Hexamita) which migrates from the GI tract to the sensory pores (on the head), and can cause pits like that.

Thanks for the help . I haven't notice any white sting on the poo.i thought it hasn't pooed since its bully sometime big . Is there any seachem product I could add to food to treat .

Humblefish
4 hours ago, ireef25 said:

Thanks for the help. I believe poor diet  and my yellow tang keeps harassing  him .my nori stock is over need to get some .its kinda hard to get supply due to the lockdown.

Walmart sells nori. Just go to the Asian section and look for "Organic Seaweed" listed as the only ingredient.

4 hours ago, ireef25 said:

Thanks for the help . I haven't notice any white sting on the poo.i thought it hasn't pooed since its bully sometime big . Is there any seachem product I could add to food to treat .

Seachem Metroplex + Focus mixed into the food.

• Like 1
On 5/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, Humblefish said:

Walmart sells nori. Just go to the Asian section and look for "Organic Seaweed" listed as the only ingredient.

Seachem Metroplex + Focus mixed into the food.

Thanks for all the support . I will get Seachem Metroplex + Focus .and try feeding them . Luckily noticed my yellow tang . It also has the line . Hopefully they recover . 

Thanks for the support .stay safe . Hope everything's get back to normal 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ireef25 said:

Thanks for all the support . I will get Seachem Metroplex + Focus .and try feeding them . Luckily noticed my yellow tang . It also has the line . Hopefully they recover . 

Thanks for the support .stay safe . Hope everything's get back to normal 

When you are picking up nori...also pick up some fish oil capsules. Poke a hole in them and squirt some on the nori to soak in.

He looks skinny too and tangs need to eat a lot to keep that nori and food coming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/10/2020 at 10:38 PM, Tamberav said:

When you are picking up nori...also pick up some fish oil capsules. Poke a hole in them and squirt some on the nori to soak in.

He looks skinny too and tangs need to eat a lot to keep that nori and food coming.

I got nori and hikari alge wafers .

Not sure if I could add the Metroplex + Focus to nori 

Humblefish
5 hours ago, ireef25 said:

I got nori and hikari alge wafers .

Not sure if I could add the Metroplex + Focus to nori 

It doesn't bind too well. Frozen or pellets seem to work better IME.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 8:01 PM, ireef25 said:

I was not home for a month

How long has the fish been like this?  Any idea?

Is it really white like in the picture?  (It's a Hippo Tang, correct?)

That fish looks positively miserable.

...and you say it's constantly being harassed?????

You need someone local to take one or both fish off your hands ASAP.

You might treat some random disease that may or may not be present, but you aren't helping the overall circumstance – and that's going to end up killing both fish if you allow it to continue.

If you have no stores and no local reefers, I'd consider (this will sound harsh) euthanizing one fish (thinking of the Hippo) to save the other....and to be merciful to the suffering fish so it does have to (continue to) die slowly of harassment.  

I know the sounds harsh, but your fish have been placed into a terrible position that is already harsh on them.  Something needs to be done about the overall situation ASAP.

Any idea what happened to the tank while you were gone?

How is the tank temperature?

What size tank is it?  How long have those fish been living in that tank?

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2020 at 2:44 AM, mcarroll said:

I think more than a months still it's there. 

I have started feeding seachem metroplex and focus 

Is it really white like in the picture?  (It's a Hippo Tang, correct?)

It's a tenatic tang .

...and you say it's constantly being harassed?? I was harassed by my yellow tang . But hes the boss now 

Unable to give it to any one . I plainig to upgrade to 300 gallon tank  .

Any idea what happened to the tank while you were gone .?

not sure what happen .but found out my skimmer is leaking curr6

How is the tank temperature?

28c 

What size tank is it? 90 gallon  How long have those fish been living in that tank?its been in the tank for 3 years 

Did you mean tennenti tang? They are NOT supposed to be that shade of white. 

Get that skimmer out, now. 

You need to upgrade the tank as soon as possible. Those fish don't have enough space in your tank, and they're going to be stressed, possibly stunted, and continue fighting. When you say you plan to upgrade your tank, when will that be? Unless it's happening almost immediately, you need to get rid of one of those fish. If you can't give one away, I agree that euthanizing may be the best option. That fish is undoubtedly in a lot of pain, and euthanizing one is better than allowing them both to slowly kill each other.

3 minutes ago, Tired said:

Did you mean tennenti tang? They are NOT supposed to be that shade of white. 

Get that skimmer out, now. 

You need to upgrade the tank as soon as possible. Those fish don't have enough space in your tank, and they're going to be stressed, possibly stunted, and continue fighting. When you say you plan to upgrade your tank, when will that be? Unless it's happening almost immediately, you need to get rid of one of those fish. If you can't give one away, I agree that euthanizing may be the best option. That fish is undoubtedly in a lot of pain, and euthanizing one is better than allowing them both to slowly kill each other.

Yes it's a tennenti tang.got a new skimmer bubble marcus curve 5 .but my sump Is small so going for big upgrade .

I'm planning for the upgrade asap . Because of the covid this bit stuck . I was unemployed for nearly 6 month . Now I get I job 1st thing to upgrade.  Noone to give the fish as well .planing for an upgrade ASAP. 

Tank size, params, info besides a picture. 

Looking at your other post all your fish are in a very cramped non friendly environment. As if in a petco sized holding tank... 

Hi everyone.  Please guid6me through.  

I could upgrade urgent to the following tank sizes 

48 × 24 x 25 rectangle 

Or 

36 × 36 × hight 24 

Please suggest me . For small mid reef only soft coral and fish 

Thank you 

11 hours ago, ireef25 said:

48 × 24 x 25 rectangle

On 7/26/2020 at 5:42 PM, ireef25 said:

tennenti tang

Get's up to a foot long, so as big as or bigger than a blue Hippo Tank.

That four foot tank (8 square feet of swimming room) would be an absolute minimum....he'd outgrow it in as little as a year or two.  

Really needs a 72" (6') tank for growing/swimming room....a 125 Gallon gets you up to 9 square feet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1