inTank Media Baskets

Torch coral requirements

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok so I know what the requirements are for euphyllia, but I just had a question for all you torch keepers out there. What kind of water do torches prefer? Do they like cleaner water? Or dirtier water? For some reason I can keep hammer corals just fine, but the times I’ve kept torches, something goes wrong. Both torches that I have ever had have both been damaged in shipping and my first one succumbed to brown jelly disease. I have one right now and it has two heads, but they are both connected to each other, but the smaller head was damaged during shipping and the smaller head has also succumbed to brown jelly disease. It hasn’t spread to the bigger head that wasn’t damaged, but I’m worried bc they are connected to each other. The bigger head is nice and open and looks normal, but can the disease spread to him bc they are connected? 

19 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok so I know what the requirements are for euphyllia, but I just had a question for all you torch keepers out there. What kind of water do torches prefer? Do they like cleaner water? Or dirtier water? For some reason I can keep hammer corals just fine, but the times I’ve kept torches, something goes wrong. Both torches that I have ever had have both been damaged in shipping and my first one succumbed to brown jelly disease. I have one right now and it has two heads, but they are both connected to each other, but the smaller head was damaged during shipping and the smaller head has also succumbed to brown jelly disease. It hasn’t spread to the bigger head that wasn’t damaged, but I’m worried bc they are connected to each other. The bigger head is nice and open and looks normal, but can the disease spread to him bc they are connected? 

Brown jelly can spread to Lps and sps.

Here's some info 

http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/brown-jelly-syndrome-bjs--brown-band-disease-brb.html

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Brown jelly can spread to Lps and sps.

Here's some info 

http://aquariumcoraldiseases.weebly.com/brown-jelly-syndrome-bjs--brown-band-disease-brb.html

I’ve heard it can spread if the coral has a weak immune system. Like if the coral is not doing well. Torches are the only coral this has ever happened to

Thank you for the information 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 5/8/2020 at 6:04 PM, Clown79 said:

brown jelly is contagious. That's why it can become a huge problem and wipe out a tank.

Maybe it’s not brown jelly then? Bc it killed the head that it was on and the other head is completely fine today. 

The two heads are also connected to each other, they haven’t split uet