inTank Media Baskets

Is this RTN?

justinkdenny

If you are talking about the white at the bottom?  Yes, it's necrosis.  Depending on how fast it's occurring would make it STN or RTN.  Slow vs. Rapid.

Normally a parameter or stability issue.  Sometimes it just happens without any reason.  Have you had an alkalinity swing recently?

May want to frag it and glue to a frag plug.  Just cut above the white area.

• Thanks 1
justinkdenny
4 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

If you are talking about the white at the bottom?  Yes, it's necrosis.  Depending on how fast it's occurring would make it STN or RTN.  Slow vs. Rapid.

Normally a parameter or stability issue.  Sometimes it just happens without any reason.  Have you had an alkalinity swing recently?

May want to frag it and glue to a frag plug.  Just cut above the white area.

Tank parameters have been pretty stable.  My calcium and magnesium always run high though with salifert kit but it is consistent.  

That's pretty stable...I recommend testing alk every 2 to 3 days though until your tank is really locked in.

Could be a bunch of different factors.  If your parameters are stable, your nitrates and phosphates aren't super high and your lighting and flow are good for SPS it could be just a random event.  Every SPS keeper has had this happen at one point or another.

If it's RTN you'll want to frag that thing quickly cause it'll be a goner in a day or two.

• Like 1
jservedio

I wouldn't frag unless it was RTN or the acro never did well in its current spot and can't be moved without fragging. I've had far more recover from doing nothing than I have from fragging.

Just alk isn't enough to know what's going on unless it's all over the map. Full parameters over at least a week to possibly offer anything but generalizations.

• Thanks 1
justinkdenny

I

7 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

That's pretty stable...I recommend testing alk every 2 to 3 days though until your tank is really locked in.

Could be a bunch of different factors.  If your parameters are stable, your nitrates and phosphates aren't super high and your lighting and flow are good for SPS it could be just a random event.  Every SPS keeper has had this happen at one point or another.

If it's RTN you'll want to frag that thing quickly cause it'll be a goner in a day or two.

I dont run ultra low nutrients and I really dont know what my par levels are. I run ai prime hd at these levels.  I usually run a little higher but I was trying to acclimate the new sps.  I assume this is pretty low and I steal worry about bleaching them.

Screenshot_20200507-223146_myAI.jpg

Screenshot_20200507-223128_myAI.jpg

justinkdenny
11 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I wouldn't frag unless it was RTN or the acro never did well in its current spot and can't be moved without fragging. I've had far more recover from doing nothing than I have from fragging.

Just alk isn't enough to know what's going on unless it's all over the map. Full parameters over at least a week to possibly offer anything but generalizations.

Calcium and magnesium higher than chart pretty much every time.  Cal 500+ magnesium 1500+ and I dont add either.

Screenshot_20200507-223631_Aquarium Note.jpg

Screenshot_20200507-223640_Aquarium Note.jpg

Screenshot_20200507-223730_Aquarium Note.jpg

jservedio

Light is low unless it's a teeny tiny tank - especially with high nutrients. It's most likely alk or whoever you bought it froms alk. I assume you are testing right after your water change if it's only weekly.

Keep checking a few times a week and keep it stable. That's all you can do. Also slowly bring up that light unless this is like a 5g tank.

justinkdenny
18 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Light is low unless it's a teeny tiny tank - especially with high nutrients. It's most likely alk or whoever you bought it froms alk. I assume you are testing right after your water change if it's only weekly.

Keep checking a few times a week and keep it stable. That's all you can do. Also slowly bring up that light unless this is like a 5g tank.

10 gallon im nuvo and I test right before water change.

20200501_162747.jpg

What salt mix are you using?  Could explain the high calcium and magnesium.  The tank looks pretty young based on the pic.  It takes time for a tank to mature.  Usually at least 6 months but often times a year.  Are you seeing any coralline algae growth?  You'll be able to know by today if it's RTN, because the coral will be dead.  If it's not, just let it be and provide a stable environment.  I've also had corals lose tissue and recover.  Are you topping off freshwater everyday?  That's also important to help keep the salinity stable...especially in smaller tanks.

Looks like you've got a couple of other SPS in there.  How are they doing?

justinkdenny
1 hour ago, DreC80 said:

What salt mix are you using?  Could explain the high calcium and magnesium.  The tank looks pretty young based on the pic.  It takes time for a tank to mature.  Usually at least 6 months but often times a year.  Are you seeing any coralline algae growth?  You'll be able to know by today if it's RTN, because the coral will be dead.  If it's not, just let it be and provide a stable environment.  I've also had corals lose tissue and recover.  Are you topping off freshwater everyday?  That's also important to help keep the salinity stable...especially in smaller tanks.

Looks like you've got a couple of other SPS in there.  How are they doing?

Salt mix is reef crystals 

Tank is 11 months

Yes I have coralline growing

I have a aqua smart ato(whatever it's called lol)

Other sps showing great polyp extension.  The bubblegum digi looks a little bleached but the polyps are bright orange.

I hope I answered all questions.

Thanks for all your help!

jservedio

Reef crystals has a super high alkalinity (11-13). That might be causing a decent spike when you change your water. Check alk before and after a water change. You really want a salt mix that is the same alkalinity you keep that tank, or at last close.

• Thanks 1
justinkdenny

So I tested a new batch of salt water and i think i found my culprit.  Alk was like 11.4 and I run my tank at 9.1.  I bet my water change caused the rtn.  This morning the rtn was twice as bad.  I fragged into 4 pieces and one of the 4  rtn'ed.  The other 3 are holding on.  Does anyone recommend a salt that mixes closer to 9 dkh and mixes well?

I use fritz rpm...it mixes at a lower alk...8 or 9 dkh.  I run my tank around 7.5.

You are probably better off using regular instant ocean and dosing calc and possibly mag if it's low.

Jason Fox supposedly uses regular instant ocean, but he's got calc reactors for supplementation.

• Like 1

High alkalinity and high lights with low nutrients normally results in bleaching.

Might want to lower your alkalinity...I would consider running it around 8 dkh.