ReefCleaners.org

Interpreting cycling levels? (No nitrites)

Markpatrick33

Markpatrick33

Okay. So I have started my cycle. First test before adding an ammonia source was obviously zeros across the board. Added food to break down into ammonia. Five days later tested, ammonia looked to be at around a .5 ppm and I had nitrate readings of 10 ppm, however I never saw my nitrites spike? Which is confusing to me. And then today (2 days since last test) my ammonia is down to .25 ppm and nitrates up to 20 ppm STILL 0 NITRITE LEVELS?! Is this common? Am I just missing them when I’m testing? Am I doing something wrong? I don’t understand how I am getting nitrates without ever seeing a nitrite spike 

Nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) are breaking it down without a noticeable spike.  That's how it typically works (nitrite being non-detectable) after the cycle has been established.  However, your rock isn't fully cycled yet.  Are you using some live rock?

Live sand?  Anything that was previously alive lol?

I'll admit it seems a little strange.  I've always gotten a nitrite reading during a cycle.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Live sand?

That could explain it.  However, whatever the case, nitrite levels are typically not particularly important.  Toxicity levels in seawater are not really an issue.  Although nitrite levels of 5ppm or higher have been shown to slow down oxidation (which can sometimes be achieved when dosing ammonia/ammonium chloride.

6 hours ago, Markpatrick33 said:

Added food to break down into ammonia...  No I’m not I got dry life rock 

With dry rock, I'd probably add ammonium chloride following this fishless cycling guide: http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

This will allow you to better build up a robust biofilter without adding a lot of excess organics.

• Like 1