Coral Vue Hydros

What's The Most You've Spent on Buying A Fish?

Snow_Phoenix

Snow_Phoenix

I'm curious - we have members in NR from different parts of the world, and different types of fish are priced differently by region/store/availability etc.

How much have any of you spent on a single fish? 

As in, do you have a budget? A set limit?

For example, the most I've spent on any fish is RM 100 per fish. My pink streaked wrasse cost me RM 100, and my circus barred goby was priced the same. Looking back, I can't recall spending more than RM 100 per fish - for both SW and FW. (And I've bought occasionally exotic discus before). 

I was just at a LFS yesterday, and saw a beautiful Snowflake clown with nice markings, but it was priced at RM 170 (after a discount). For me, that was beyond my budget so I left it. How about you, NR? 

If there was a $170 premium Snowflake at your LFS that you really liked, would you cave in and bite the bullet? Or would it be too much, and you'd walk away, because you can buy other things/multiple fish for the same amount of money? 🤔

• Like 2
WV Reefer
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I'm curious - we have members in NR from different parts of the world, and different types of fish are priced differently by region/store/availability etc.

For example, the most I've spent on any fish is RM 100 per fish. My pink streaked wrasse cost me RM 100, and my circus barred goby was priced the same. Looking back, I can't recall spending more than RM 100 per fish - for both SW and FW. (And I've bought occasionally exotic discus before). 

I was just at a LFS yesterday, and saw a beautiful Snowflake clown with nice markings, but it was priced at RM 170 (after a discount). For me, that was beyond my budget so I left it. How about you, NR? 

If there was a $170 premium Snowflake at your LFS that you really liked, would you cave in and bite the bullet? Or would it be too much, and you'd walk away, because you can buy other things/multiple fish for the same amount of money? 🤔

I don’t like spending a lot on fish or corals. I think the most I have paid for a fish is $50. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

My limit is £50 fish or corals. I used to go budget route and get lots of little frags for that. Now I'm buying one more established mini colony each time. 

Really want a Seabae pair of clowns. £45 and have spawned multiple times. 

• Like 2

I’m setting up an 8g which will be my only tank from now on. If I see that super cool premium clownfish I’ll buy it no matter the cost. Chances are though, that I’ll opt for the typical Percula pair. 

The most I’ve spent on a fish in the past were 35$, both in FW and SW. 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
8 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I don’t like spending a lot on fish or corals. I think the most I have paid for a fish is $50. 

Yeah, that's why I try to avoid premium fish. As for corals - it's unavoidable forking out $ XXX if you want to purchase colonies here. I think even the cheapest colonies of 'common' corals here are around RM 100 to RM 120, at least. Premium/rare ones can fetch up to thousands. Frags are much, much cheaper, thankfully. 

6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

My limit is £50 fish or corals. I used to go budget route and get lots of little frags for that. Now I'm buying one more established mini colony each time. 

Really want a Seabae pair of clowns. £45 and have spawned multiple times. 

Sebae clowns for which tank? 🙂 

• Like 2
Snow_Phoenix
5 minutes ago, bbetta said:

I’m setting up an 8g which will be my only tank from now on. If I see that super cool premium clownfish I’ll buy it no matter the cost. Chances are though, that I’ll opt for the typical Percula pair. 

The most I’ve spent on a fish in the past were 35$, both in FW and SW. 

$35 is actually quite reasonable. And I get you - sometimes premium fish are beautiful/unique. When I purchased my pink streak and goby, it really burnt a hole through the wallet. I paid in installments to get both fish (my LFS is good towards old customers that way), but I find it worth it. The goby is nocturnal/shy, but the pink streak is a joy to watch.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Get it! Your house needs a new tank. :ninja:

I'll try and find a baby pair for the 15 and then walk around all morose that they're cramped and living in isolation and the Mrs should give in fairly quickly

• Haha 2
Chadicus Meridius

$20 on my Percula clownfish 

what about the most spent on an invertebrates. My LFS sells cleaner shrimp for the same as the generic Percula or occelaris clownfish 19.99

• Like 3

I think the most I paid for a fish was $20.  My limit on corals is $50, but try for $30.  My problem is this isn't my only addiction.  I am addicted to quilting and have other animals (2 mini horses, 2 nubian goats, a wallaby, chinchilla, dogs, cat, chickens, rabbit).  I have to put a limit on all of them or I would be broke!! 😜😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Snow_Phoenix
33 minutes ago, Seea said:

$20 on my Percula clownfish 

what about the most spent on an invertebrates. My LFS sells cleaner shrimp for the same as the generic Percula or occelaris clownfish 19.99

Inverts here can be quite expensive actually. My Cleaner Shrimp cost me RM 50. My Fire Shrimp cost me RM 80 (original price was RM 100, but I had a very good discount). If I'm not mistaken, my GCBS also cost me RM 50. 

But some inverts are very cheap - like sea hares/slugs can be purchased for less than RM 10 at times. Snails are surprisingly expensive - RM 10 for one tiny turban snail, which may or may not get the munchies for your algae. :sideeyes:

25 minutes ago, sadie said:

I think the most I paid for a fish was $20.  My limit on corals is $50, but try for $30.  My problem is this isn't my only addiction.  I am addicted to quilting and have other animals (2 mini horses, 2 nubian goats, a wallaby, chinchilla, dogs, cat, chickens, rabbit).  I have to put a limit on all of them or I would be broke!! 😜😝

We have a discount rack at our LFS - it's mostly a small collection of very common corals (mostly in different shades of green) which can be as low as RM 10 to as high as RM 50. Sometimes, if you're lucky enough, you can score a LPS colony for RM 80 to RM 100. That was how I managed to collect many symphyllias. My manager hated them and wanted them gone, and no one else seemed to like them either, so...:ninja:

• Like 2
pokerdobe
23 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

What fish was that? 😮 

Sorry, I went back to doublecheck - it was more along the lines of 350 or so. The bill was 500 because I bought another fish along with it. 

The particular fish was Paracheilinus attenuatus. Looking over my fish, my expensive fish seem to top out around 300-350. 

• Like 3
Snow_Phoenix
22 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Sorry, I went back to doublecheck - it was more along the lines of 350 or so. The bill was 500 because I bought another fish along with it. 

The particular fish was Paracheilinus attenuatus. Looking over my fish, my expensive fish seem to top out around 300-350. 

Beautiful fish! 🙂 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

$350 so far for a golden Rhomboidalis fairy wrasse.  Got a few more to go with this price range and higher, but I don’t have a nano.  I feel like there’s only a few expensive fish that will fit in a nano.  

• Like 2
jservedio
3 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yeah, that's why I try to avoid premium fish. As for corals - it's unavoidable forking out $ XXX if you want to purchase colonies here. 

That's why I just never bought a colony. Nothing over $40 has ever gone in my tank - I really like watching things grow over years and years and since its a nano, didn't look empty for long like a big tank would with frags. I've never spent more than $15 on a fish, but I do want a mystery wrasse when I upgrade. So, a bit of a conundrum. Guess I'll say $100 is the most I'd spend!

Nothing wrong with spending much more - I love looking at rare fish, but buying them just isn't for me.

• Like 2

If I could get my dream fish it would be a yellow bellied dog face puffer fish.  They are soooo cute!!  They were like $300.00 the last time I looked at them in 2000.  I have no idea what they go for now.