Innovative Marine Aquariums

40B Peninsula build. C ya Cyano...you little b🤭

5*Chris

On 6/5/2020 at 8:56 AM, 5*Chris said:

Ive been working on a diy led bar. I think it turned out very nice, just need to finish up soldering and heat wrap power wires. 24" with 19 Luxeon ES leds.

IMG_20200604_212517.thumb.jpg.9c049baf1cf079986149eb256bf834f5.jpg

IMG_20200605_065052.thumb.jpg.c211530ef83503dbb9592cff24d52b87.jpg

That's a BAD SUM GUN right there !!! Heck of a job bud. 

• Like 2
On 6/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, 5*Chris said:

Thank you! How about now?

IMG_20200626_162624.thumb.jpg.bfbe283726984cdfc71281853584a079.jpg

I wish I would've recorded my wife's reaction. She asked, "Is it energy efficient?"🤣🤣

This is my kind of light OH MY !!! I love it man,it looks amazing. I love 40 breeders,but you just don't see them much any more. I would love this light on a shallow tank,say the AquaMaxx 9g,whew boy. Acro's would LOVE IT !!! 

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Do you need sunglasses for that beast of a light? 

Old school Blue Blockers sunglasses lol. The T5s only hit 100% for about 2 hours, most the time they are at 75%. The Nanobox arrays are only at 20% ch1, 5% ch2. Everything seems happy at those settings. I'm really loving this new setup.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

This is my kind of light OH MY !!! I love it man,it looks amazing. I love 40 breeders,but you just don't see them much any more. I would love this light on a shallow tank,say the AquaMaxx 9g,whew boy. Acro's would LOVE IT !!! 

I think to be using that on a 9G shallow, an overkill would still be an understatement.  it's probably is an overkill on a 40B as is.  I'm a light junkie, and reading that you want to use this light over a 9G, nope, I just can't get behind that statement.  corals grow at MUCH lower light that you think they need.  25-50% of the time my 4-bulb 24" T5 fixture doesn't even have all 4 running.  

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

That's a BAD SUM GUN right there !!! Heck of a job bud. 

Thank you. Im very happy with how it turned out. I think seeing some of your posts and builds gave me confidence to build a led setup for myself. 👍🏼

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I think to be using that on a 9G shallow, an overkill would still be an understatement.  it's probably is an overkill on a 40B as is.  I'm a light junkie, and reading that you want to use this light over a 9G, nope, I just can't get behind that statement.  corals grow at MUCH lower light that you think they need.  25-50% of the time my 4-bulb 24" T5 fixture doesn't even have all 4 running.  

I'm a light whore and honestly I was 80% joking lol. I would only do a strip down the middle lol. You can't always take me too serious. 

Although,I would love to see par on this light

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, 5*Chris said:

Thank you. Im very happy with how it turned out. I think seeing some of your posts and builds gave me confidence to build a led setup for myself. 👍🏼

Have you thought about measuring par yet ?! Its gotta be a monster. Well I appreciate it,I really do. I feel like I have lost my touch here lately with building lights. 

• Like 2
Just now, Reefkid88 said:

Have you thought about measuring par yet ?! Its gotta be a monster. Well I appreciate it,I really do. I feel like I have lost my touch here lately with building lights. 

Yeah, I thought about buying a seneye on my next paycheck. I could rent a par meter locally but would rather put the money towards my own. But I think having a par meter would cause my hands to adjust settings way too often 😂.

What driver(s) are you using on the diy light bar ?! If its non-dimmable then you are good lol. I would rent one,adjust your light to 3 different settings,take overall measurements,write them down be done and send it back. 

15 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I'm a light whore and honestly I was 80% joking lol. I would only do a strip down the middle lol. You can't always take me too serious. 

well, thnx for clarifying, sometimes just can't really tell.  if you ever stop messing around with pico tanks, and step up to a 24" tank, I got plenty of serious lighting options for you to choose from.  

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

What driver(s) are you using on the diy light bar ?! If its non-dimmable then you are good lol. I would rent one,adjust your light to 3 different settings,take overall measurements,write them down be done and send it back. 

On the diy bar, I ordered a driver from Amazon, only 450mA, also have a 700mA version, but was happy with the 450mA. 

But yeah that sounds like a great idea. I do want to do a little more tweaking in settings, just don't want to always do a little more tweaking lol.

6 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

well, thnx for clarifying, sometimes just can't really tell.  if you ever stop messing around with pico tanks, and step up to a 24" tank, I got plenty of serious lighting options for you to choose from.  

The only place I am 95% serious,is working. Being a mechanical plumber & pipe fitter I have to be. Outside of work I'm a jokester lol. 

When you say options,like to buy from you or offline ? I really want the 9g Aquamaxx,2 bulb Supra fixture with 1 B+ and 1 ABS and a diy strip of royals and violets from 395-430 down the middle and call it a day. 

@5*Chris ahh okay,so its not being pushed hard. I would do measurements with the diy light,then the RB bars,T5's then all 3 and see what your numbers are. Me too lol I'm always tweaking my lights,110% the reason I haven't gotten results out of Acro's the last few go arounds. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

The only place I am 95% serious,is working. Being a mechanical plumber & pipe fitter I have to be. Outside of work I'm a jokester lol. 

When you say options,like to buy from you or offline ? I really want the 9g Aquamaxx,2 bulb Supra fixture with 1 B+ and 1 ABS and a diy strip of royals and violets from 395-430 down the middle and call it a day. 

umm, did you not read the part that said I'm a light junkie?  let's see, in the basement, there are:

• nanobox 4-T5/4 LED hybrid - need to be completely re-wired
  • two nanobox supplement strips - yes, nanobox strips 
  • two wavepoint photon (all blue 460nm)  20 W strips; they were cheap on amazon a long time ago before I decided to move on to "smart" leds.  great budget blue led.
  • ATI 4-bulb T5
  • Just picked up a used 8-bulb T5/LED ATI powermodule
  • also two orpheks OR3 Blue+ 

and those are all 24" stuff.

I also have the Orbit Marine IC Pro, aka dual-bar, 36" pair laying around.  

ALL that, and I have only one tank.  😅   

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

@5*Chris ahh okay,so its not being pushed hard. I would do measurements with the diy light,then the RB bars,T5's then all 3 and see what your numbers are. Me too lol I'm always tweaking my lights,110% the reason I haven't gotten results out of Acro's the last few go arounds. 

The diy led and t5s are now sitting in the stuff I'm not using spot lol. I already have the RBs on the ATI fixture. 

I could do a par reading on them in air. Id like to know what the diy bar does, I could swap between drivers too. Would be a good test.

• Wow 1
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

umm, did you not read the part that said I'm a light junkie?  let's see, in the basement, there are:

• nanobox 4-T5/4 LED hybrid - need to be completely re-wired
  • two nanobox supplement strips - yes, nanobox strips 
  • two wavepoint photon (all blue 460nm)  20 W strips; they were cheap on amazon a long time ago before I decided to move on to "smart" leds.  great budget blue led.
  • ATI 4-bulb T5
  • Just picked up a used 8-bulb T5/LED ATI powermodule
  • also two orpheks OR3 Blue+ 

and those are all 24" stuff.

I also have the Orbit Marine IC Pro, aka dual-bar, 36" pair laying around.  

ALL that, and I have only one tank.  😅   

So that's where all the lights are going lol! Oh Orpheks, man would my wife kill me. How much😂?

6 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

The diy led and t5s are now sitting in the stuff I'm not using spot lol. I already have the RBs on the ATI fixture. 

I could do a par reading on them in air. Id like to know what the diy bar does, I could swap between drivers too. Would be a good test.

Ummm... About your diy light then... 😁

1 minute ago, 5*Chris said:

So that's where all the lights are going lol! Oh Orpheks, man would my wife kill me. How much😂?

lol, I just picked those up today from my lfs.  they're $140 each thru LFS guy ($150 list).  Had him ordered two a few weeks back.  it shipped direct from factory, and arrived with a non-us plug on both.  :huh: right?  why do you ship lights to US with non-us plugs, who knew what happened there....

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

lol, I just picked those up today from my lfs.  they're $140 each thru LFS guy ($150 list).  Had him ordered two a few weeks back.  it shipped direct from factory, and arrived with a non-us plug on both.  :huh: right?  why do you ship lights to US with non-us plugs, who knew what happened there....

That's sucks. Sounds like my luck lol

• Like 2

Ordered 1 nano 30g size of Reef Foods from Amazon. Haven't tried Reef Roids yet since I'm extremely happy with my Aquaforest coral foods, but had some Amazon credit and figured I'd feed it on an off day. Package was just delivered and felt heavier than I expected. Opened the box to this😂🤦🏽‍♂️

IMG_20200822_155837.thumb.jpg.0922e0db505c09d764622ef881694219.jpg

And then opened this box to this 👀 

IMG_20200822_155842.thumb.jpg.2ffb579efc3ec62e8d7e458a24c45145.jpg

$15 with same day shipping. Good thing (too bad?) Im honest and believe in Karma. It's going back 😭.

• Wow 1
59 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

Ordered 1 nano 30g size of Reef Foods from Amazon. Haven't tried Reef Roids yet since I'm extremely happy with my Aquaforest coral foods, but had some Amazon credit and figured I'd feed it on an off day. Package was just delivered and felt heavier than I expected. Opened the box to this😂🤦🏽‍♂️

IMG_20200822_155837.thumb.jpg.0922e0db505c09d764622ef881694219.jpg

And then opened this box to this 👀 

IMG_20200822_155842.thumb.jpg.2ffb579efc3ec62e8d7e458a24c45145.jpg

$15 with same day shipping. Good thing (too bad?) Im honest and believe in Karma. It's going back 😭.

Honestly it might be more expensive for them to process and return it and re inventory it. 

You could just have a win... 

• Like 1