Top Shelf Aquatics

For people with anemones

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF

Literally talking bout anemones

Hey can someone give me tips for caring for a BTA? I just bought a baby green one. Looks awesome!!! 

IMG_20200505_163407.jpg

Anenomes pretty much seem to care for themselves. I've never done much to care for them as they will find a place in your tank which is most suitable to them. They will accept fish/coral food although direct feeding isn't required. Although I do like to feed mine mysis about ever 2 weeks or so hoping to make it grow and split faster.

jservedio

I see this is posted in pico reefs - how big is your tank? They get really big - like really really big and very quickly. My current one stared the exact size as yours, and this is it now 18 months later. If this is like an 8g tank or something, you aren't going to have it very long. If it's like 4 or 5g, just get it out now.

right-island.thumb.jpg.e18cc0eb455efb4b051bbc57fce62eab.jpg

For scale, those clowns are 10 years old and the female up front is almost 4" long.

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
On 5/6/2020 at 11:53 PM, jservedio said:

I see this is posted in pico reefs - how big is your tank? They get really big - like really really big and very quickly. My current one stared the exact size as yours, and this is it now 18 months later. If this is like an 8g tank or something, you aren't going to have it very long. If it's like 4 or 5g, just get it out now.

right-island.thumb.jpg.e18cc0eb455efb4b051bbc57fce62eab.jpg

For scale, those clowns are 10 years old and the female up front is almost 4" long.

Jesus Christ. It's a 5 gall..........

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 13.5 gall SOON. But not too soon😉😉😉 I absolutely love them though. God forbid it's too big for my tank b4 I get a new one. I'll cut em in half. Sounds cruel but I don't wanna loose em. I love anemones no matter what!! I'll keep y'all up to date

Anyone know why my birdsnest is turning white at the tip and is kinda of "mucasy"

jservedio
24 minutes ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

Jesus Christ. It's a 5 gall..........

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 13.5 gall SOON. But not too soon😉😉😉 I absolutely love them though. God forbid it's too big for my tank b4 I get a new one. I'll cut em in half. Sounds cruel but I don't wanna loose em. I love anemones no matter what!! I'll keep y'all up to date

Anyone know why my birdsnest is turning white at the tip and is kinda of "mucasy"

I see your 5g is 20" long so you might get away with it for a short period of time, assuming it doesn't move. If it's the only thing in the tank, you may be able to keep it long term, but it'll wreck anything else in short order.

SPS and big nems don't mix in a Pico. Birdsnest are more finicky and prone to dying from instability than acros, in my experience. Keeping SPS like birdsnest in a Pico long term is expert territory. With an rbta you really don't stand a chance long term.

• Like 1
2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
15 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I see your 5g is 20" long so you might get away with it for a short period of time, assuming it doesn't move. If it's the only thing in the tank, you may be able to keep it long term, but it'll wreck anything else in short order.

SPS and big nems don't mix in a Pico. Birdsnest are more finicky and prone to dying from instability than acros, in my experience. Keeping SPS like birdsnest in a Pico long term is expert territory. With an rbta you really don't stand a chance long term.

Yeah I see what you mean. The all the coral is on the other side of the tank. So idk. The anemone spawned in Thursday it was a full moon and my tank was CLOUDY AF. I'm looking into getting fluval Evo 13.5gal

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
9 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Often times, white at the tip is new growth. Are the polyps out? Do you have any pictures of it? 

I'll send some soon ok?  It's on one branch and it's white with little bit of mucus

2020NOOB OF PICO REEF
1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Often times, white at the tip is new growth. Are the polyps out? Do you have any pictures of it? 

Hey k I got a photo of birdsnest and nem. Is the nem ok? Doesn't look super puffy and fun!

IMG_20200508_190509.jpg

IMG_20200508_190500.jpg

33 minutes ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

Hey k I got a photo of birdsnest and nem. Is the nem ok? Doesn't look super puffy and fun!

IMG_20200508_190509.jpg

IMG_20200508_190500.jpg

They look fine to me. 

jservedio
49 minutes ago, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

Ok thanks, btw will 13.5 gallons be ok for a GBTA?

Yeah, as long as you are careful and know what you are getting yourself into - it will end up taking up a good majority of the tank in time. You will have to scape specifically to keep a bigger nem and adjust your flow carefully, but it can be done pretty easily.  Your 5g is an entirely different story and I doubt you would be able to keep the nem from constantly walking around and laying waste to your tank because in less than a year it'll be touching glass on 3 sides so it won't be getting good flow.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:26 PM, 2020NOOB OF PICO REEF said:

Ok thanks, btw will 13.5 gallons be ok for a GBTA?

If you can...I would go for 20-30g range. A nem will take up a good junk of a 13g and you will probably want more space to keep a variety of things.

Yeah ^

Take a look at my thread. My nem takes up almost a quarter of my nuvo 40

Okay not really a quarter but it needs its space.