GraniteReefer

Granite’s New England Biotope

Fryguy0201

Super excited to see this going!

• Like 2

GraniteReefer

This morning the water was cloudy with a bacterial bloom and smelled of low tide. Kind of like getting uncycled liverock or using uncleaned pukani to start a tank.  So I added 12”x1/2”x1” of biomedia brick... I had to break that into two pieces for it to fit in the rear chambers.  Based on the manufacturer specs a piece this size could offer enough surface area to filter a 104g tank so it should be well in spec for a small 2g tank245D005D-4EBD-423D-8A3C-40372E364758.thumb.jpeg.ddce23ad5ee57d4a83c5e953bec43bab.jpeg

the tank also runs really warm with no light or chiller, so With the pump only the water inside is 78 Or 77.3 on the outside of the acrylic

5A8E72BA-2853-4179-917D-349156BC3E27.thumb.jpeg.be0a9464f8dd44758a9d2f8103b6d181.jpeg

room temp 73.5

A8D2B95E-232F-4B8B-9A9D-FE736B9454F7.thumb.jpeg.ec8448b8dde93680496ff52ceeeeee9e.jpeg
so the cycle should be quick at room temp, but this weekend I will install the tec-all controller and drop the temp to 66 I didn’t expect it to insulate so well the heat from the pump would build.
also the pedestal this tank sits on amplifies the vibrations of the pump and makes an unacceptable hum audible from across the room.  So I will be finding a giant chunk of wood or granite to replace the hollow acrylic pedestal.  When I pick the tank up in my hands the hum stops so I think a better pedestal will work.

753BCEB9-B382-4281-8715-17127E8D54F2.thumb.jpeg.35f54047c2d89da359e91032162dd207.jpeg
I may also consider changing the light from inside the stock hood to hoodless with the light on a gooseneck.  While the look won’t be as clean the heat won’t build if there is no hood so it should be better for my coldwater purposes as the AI prime reads 90f while running.  Who knows how hot it will run in a small hood

• Like 3

debbeach13

Sounds like your putting plenty of fore thought into fine tuning the tank. I hope all your fixes work. Let us know when the smell clear up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GraniteReefer

Put the controller on yesterday morning.  I thought I had set the controller to 66f but it wasn’t dropping below 68f.  So this morning when my room temp was 68 and the tank was still 68 I knew it must be the controller setting.  I cranked the controller down to make sure I wasn’t at the little chillers limit and much to my delight less than an hour later and I have shot past 66 and am sitting at 63.6.  Happy day..... now to fine tune it for 66.   The low tide smell has passed BTW but the water still has a visible cloudiness.  Not much of a test as I cycle guy but maybe I should go buy a kit to confirm a cycle so then I can disregard my new England biotope plans and get a Catalina goby😂 if someone was selling nano sized Atlantic Ocean gobies I would plan for those but not sure a suitable fish exists or is legally collectable.  Plus the Catalina is wife approved and has been on my radar awhile.   Being shoved in a small 1g box is likely preferable to cooking in some reef tank.... atleast that’s what I tell myself 

DBF2CD17-3735-4817-B91F-3C0A08B0D75E.thumb.jpeg.e85ea5f7ce1b962c7fa7015e4779448d.jpeg
also I added a leveling mat between the tank and the pedestal and the noise has slightly dampened, in reality the audible hum was only really noticeable because the chiller wasn’t running.  The chiller is much louder than the pump so in a way problem solved haha

• Haha 1

debbeach13
1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

Plus the Catalina is wife approved

If I ever had a cold water tank it would be so I could have that fish. 

• Like 2

GraniteReefer
46 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

If I ever had a cold water tank it would be so I could have that fish. 

My thoughts exactly, what if it’s my one chance to try.  Plus the fish here are drab at best.  It’s either no fish or Catalina goby

• Like 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
On 6/17/2020 at 7:31 AM, GraniteReefer said:

Put the controller on yesterday morning.  I thought I had set the controller to 66f but it wasn’t dropping below 68f.  So this morning when my room temp was 68 and the tank was still 68 I knew it must be the controller setting.  I cranked the controller down to make sure I wasn’t at the little chillers limit and much to my delight less than an hour later and I have shot past 66 and am sitting at 63.6.  Happy day..... now to fine tune it for 66.   The low tide smell has passed BTW but the water still has a visible cloudiness.  Not much of a test as I cycle guy but maybe I should go buy a kit to confirm a cycle so then I can disregard my new England biotope plans and get a Catalina goby😂 if someone was selling nano sized Atlantic Ocean gobies I would plan for those but not sure a suitable fish exists or is legally collectable.  Plus the Catalina is wife approved and has been on my radar awhile.   Being shoved in a small 1g box is likely preferable to cooking in some reef tank.... atleast that’s what I tell myself 

DBF2CD17-3735-4817-B91F-3C0A08B0D75E.thumb.jpeg.e85ea5f7ce1b962c7fa7015e4779448d.jpeg
also I added a leveling mat between the tank and the pedestal and the noise has slightly dampened, in reality the audible hum was only really noticeable because the chiller wasn’t running.  The chiller is much louder than the pump so in a way problem solved haha

Another trick, to get the temp to drop to 55F, the more base rock you have once it drops, because they are solid granite and not porous, they become like mini ice burgs that regulate the cold to stay cold!  Trust me, I know!  🙂

• Like 2

Break

Cool build - little coldwater tanks are awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GraniteReefer
7 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Another trick, to get the temp to drop to 55F, the more base rock you have once it drops, because they are solid granite and not porous, they become like mini ice burgs that regulate the cold to stay cold!  Trust me, I know!  🙂

I’m not aiming for 55 though.  The tank is settled in between 64.5-65.4 depending on ambient temperature with my desired set at 66 so it’s doing really well.  My house even hit 84 inside and the temp stayed true with no sweating.  Given the Astrangia will likely be mounted to something and I can really only fit a single rock more in the tank I am waiting to see what it comes attached to.  

• Like 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
3 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

I’m not aiming for 55 though.  The tank is settled in between 64.5-65.4 depending on ambient temperature with my desired set at 66 so it’s doing really well.  My house even hit 84 inside and the temp stayed true with no sweating.  Given the Astrangia will likely be mounted to something and I can really only fit a single rock more in the tank I am waiting to see what it comes attached to.  

Ah fantastic 👍, I was not sure what desired temp you wanted.  Another client of mine had me build him a 37 gallon Coldwater system with 7 probes to reach 65 F for a special Floridian fish that was brought from a depth of 150 feet...  

It really required that 65 F be maintained to make it work... The fish alone was $2,000.00 dollars.  Needed to be brought up from the depth by a Biologist.  I will try to remember that fish and find the picture of it that he sent.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

GraniteReefer
2 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Ah fantastic 👍, I was not sure what desired temp you wanted.  Another client of mine had me build him a 37 gallon Coldwater system with 7 probes to reach 65 F for a special Floridian fish that was brought from a depth of 150 feet...  

It really required that 65 F be maintained to make it work... The fish alone was $2,000.00 dollars.  Needed to be brought up from the depth by a Biologist.  I will try to remember that fish and find the picture of it that he sent.

7 probes is absurd!

• Like 1

GraniteReefer

@Micro-Reefs Aquariums

did you take photos of the other 2g system On the old set of the shining or something? Super creepy!  I would have commented on the actual page but it’s a closed thread, truly nightmarish though

76BD4FD1-567E-4DBB-B885-50AD4730E682.jpeg.9f867c7a69c6a390d6b4d0c987292b2b.jpeg

• Haha 1