Coral Vue Hydros

Half dead acan.

Proxo

Hola people, quick question;
I recently moved my corals over to a QT tank before the new tank but my acan has pretty much 90% died, about 4-5 days ago.
It's recently picked up on a few 'heads' but some are completely dead and mushy/stringy, just wondering if i should leave it be or attempt to clean up the dead parts?

• Like 1

Well, you'll want to figure out what killed it. If the dead parts are brown and jelly-like, look up "brown jelly disease". 

I would remove it from the tank and gently swish it around in a container of tank water. Squirt it with a baster, gently spin it upside-down, that sort of thing, to remove as much of the dead stuff as you can. It'll rot and cause problems. Then rinse it with a bit more water, not the stuff you used to wash it in, and put it back. 

• Like 2
jservedio

If it's brown jelly, throw it out. If not (I've never seen it before) and something else killed it like getting stung or stressed, just cut what you can salvage and glue it to a frag plug or tile. It's going to take a long time to recover, but will recover.

I salvaged this about 24 months ago from a 1.5mm speck of flesh. It's a little over an inch and growing new heads now. Long road, but litetall any tiny living speck can grow it back.

20200507_170109.thumb.jpg.dbb70b904ab151bdee05e57f5239c116.jpg

• Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
On 5/7/2020 at 5:05 PM, jservedio said:

If it's brown jelly, throw it out. If not (I've never seen it before) and something else killed it like getting stung or stressed, just cut what you can salvage and glue it to a frag plug or tile. It's going to take a long time to recover, but will recover.

I salvaged this about 24 months ago from a 1.5mm speck of flesh. It's a little over an inch and growing new heads now. Long road, but litetall any tiny living speck can grow it back.

20200507_170109.thumb.jpg.dbb70b904ab151bdee05e57f5239c116.jpg

That is an insane color morph. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1