Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

To Skim or Not to Skim

JTT1981

I got a bio-cube 16 for Christmas. It’s been up and running for going on 4mo. I’ve got live rock & sand (of course) with 3 hermits (2 blue, 1 red), 2 turbos, 2 conch snails. Thinking about getting a cleaner. Water perimeters seems great, believe it to be cycled fully. The kit came with a skimmer but it’s pretty terrible. My question for this longer then necessary post is “Do I need a skimmer or not for a tank this size”? 

might as well ask if I need a nano blower as well.

thanks folks for the help.

JTT

228C4E39-C867-4FE9-BCE3-51D4D0CB125C.jpeg

DEBBB165-181A-48C9-97E3-738B87B46761.jpeg

8 minutes ago, JTT1981 said:

Thanks. What about a blower? I have the original pump it came with but should I add something for more circulation?

image.jpg

You mean a powerhead?

Yes, most either upgrade return pump and use an rfg or rotator for turbulent flow or they add a powerhead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the same tank I've had running for about the same time. I am not running a skimmer, I dont really plan on it either.. also yes, you'll want a powerhead for some flow for sure. I went with a Jebao sw2. Very small, but powerful. And has an external controller to control flow and patterns. Here's a pic before I started adding livestock. 

IMG_20200302_174543.jpg

• Wow 1

I can’t find an RFG that slips into the bio cube pump outlet, I will probably just pick up a similar power head. Thanks again.

any advice on red algae while I’m picking your brain.

Just now, JTT1981 said:

I can’t find an RFG that slips into the bio cube pump outlet, I will probably just pick up a similar power head. Thanks again.

any advice on red algae while I’m picking your brain.

Haven't had to deal with any in this tank yet. Right now I'm fighting diatoms.. bleh. I "borrowed" some of the clean up crew from my 55g to get mine clean. Try some astrea snails or some turbo snails 

• Haha 1

I’ve got a few coral and a cleanup crew. 3 Hermits, 2 Turbos, 2 conch snails ... just been limiting my lighting until the red algae kinda goes away.