Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aquatop Nano LED -- A $29 light with crazy high PAR

Poison Dart Frog

Poison Dart Frog

So I have Seneye reef monitor I borrowed for measuring the PAR on my 3 tanks. Two of my tanks had PAR readings just what I would expect. But on my 7 gallon bowfront tank I have a dirt cheap light from Amazon called am Aquatop Nano that is supposedly 11 watts. Yet it puts out insanely high PAR reading compared to my other lights. On its highest setting I get mid 800s near the surface and 300 on the sandbed. If I turn it 2 clicks down where it supposedly lowers white to 10% and keeps everything else maxed out i get about 200 on the sandbed and 350 midway with almost 500 below the surface. That's with the light looking very blue. On its lowest setting i still get over 100 on the sandbed and mid 200s on the rocks. How is this possible with an 11W light? One review on Amazon said it was "collapsed sun bright" and had PAR readings posted using an Apogee meter. At the time I thought he was surely wrong but now I realize the review was correct. I've been running it maxed out because I assumed it wasn't all that strong but I was totally wrong. I couldn't get toadstools or zoas to do well because I think they were being hit with 400+ PAR where I had them. Crazy but I have measured over and over and those are the readings I get. 

20200504_220746.jpg

20200504_220756.jpg

20200504_221036.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1