Top Shelf Aquatics

15 Gallon Cube

ggabrielcc

ggabrielcc

I got my mum a 15 gallon tank about a year ago and it was going until it crashed and we lost all coral apart from a Xenia and cabbage leather, I'm only now getting it back up, re scaped it and I've taken more control over it, we recently get some sunny d and fire storm zoos and some tsp along with a banded goy and pistol shrimp, we already have a clown pair, peacock wrasse, royal gramma, first shrimp, cleaner shrimp, hermits, snails, and emerald crab and a peppermint shrimp.

IMG_8295.jpg

IMG_8294.jpg

• Like 2
ggabrielcc
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Ah another English Reefer! Hi!

What caused the original crash do you know? Also what is your maintenance like? That's a high bioload (IMO)

Hi, always nice to find another British reefer, I'm not 100% sure as I stopped paying attention to the tank as it was my mums but the main crash happened when we were on holiday, it started off as a dead frogspawn and the person caring for the tank didn't notice so there was no water change or any carbon run, I think this then caused other corals to die etc, weirdly we lost no fish and the cabbage leather went crazy 

• Like 1
mitten_reef

That’s a lot of fish for a 15 gallon. The wrasse looks like a leopard wrasse. It requires a lot of rocks and sand to graze for pods or heavy feeding to keep up with its appetite, definitely not a good fish for this tank from both bioloads and maintenance perspectives. 

• Like 2
ggabrielcc
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

That’s a lot of fish for a 15 gallon. The wrasse looks like a leopard wrasse. It requires a lot of rocks and sand to graze for pods or heavy feeding to keep up with its appetite, definitely not a good fish for this tank from both bioloads and maintenance perspectives. 

feeding wise it gets flakes in the morning and either frozen brine shrimp and mysis or live brine shrimp, nitrates are around 5 and nitrites are 0. I do water changes every 2 weeks or so 

• Like 2
ggabrielcc

1 minute ago, ggabrielcc said:

feeding wise it gets flakes in the morning and either frozen brine shrimp and mysis or live brine shrimp, nitrates are around 5 and nitrites are 0. I do water changes every 2 weeks or so 

I also add copepods every couple of weeks but they never seem to colonise any rock, I've tried adding them to the back of the tank and the front 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, ggabrielcc said:

I also add copepods every couple of weeks but they never seem to colonise any rock, I've tried adding them to the back of the tank and the front 

Glad you’re feeding him plenty. Keep an eye on the excess nutrients, you may need more frequent water change than every two weeks if you’re feeding that often. The tank is a bit “young” and not much corals to absorb all that extra N and P. 

• Like 2

The wrasse is loving every one of them. Keep dosing it's the main part of that Wrasses diet. What filtration do you have in the back? Pods will love hiding out in rubble and in and around cheato. Have a look at Pod Condo's as well. You can DIY one fairly easily and will give them a safe place to reproduce. 

ggabrielcc
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Glad you’re feeding him plenty. Keep an eye on the excess nutrients, you may need more frequent water change than every two weeks if you’re feeding that often. The tank is a bit “young” and not much corals to absorb all that extra N and P. 

yeah I'm just starting to add more corals, I got 2 zoas a week ago and plan on getting a toadstool, goniopora, trumpet coral and and some acans 

• Like 2
ggabrielcc
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

The wrasse is loving every one of them. Keep dosing it's the main part of that Wrasses diet. What filtration do you have in the back? Pods will love hiding out in rubble and in and around cheato. Have a look at Pod Condo's as well. You can DIY one fairly easily and will give them a safe place to reproduce. 

yeah I have a couple chunks of live rock in the back of the tank, when I buy copepods I normally buy about 4-5 tubes, 2 go in the back to the live rock and 3 go in the front of the tank, ill look into the pod condo as well, thanks 🙂

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...