Pod Your Reef

ggabrielcc

ggabrielcc

Hi, I got some Zoas about a week ago, my parameters are all good but they either are half open or won't come out, I have 0 nitrites, a small amount of nitrates, alk/ KH is at 8.3, salinity is kept at 35, calcium is 420. I also got a GSP at the same time which is only just coming coming out. I also have Xenia which are happy and pulsing and a big cabbage leather which is doing very well. maybe its a pest? or it could be due to the fact the light is having problems where it keeps turning off for a couple seconds every 2 h. Or maybe its because they have been knocked off their rock a couple of times as I need to get some gel reef glue. 

Thanks for any help

IMG_8277.jpg

IMG_8285.jpg

IMG_8279.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

Yes,just temperamental like normal. I had zoa's close for close to a year,but still popped babies out then magically they opened up one day and were fine after that. 

What are your parameters ? 

ggabrielcc
12 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Yes,just temperamental like normal. I had zoa's close for close to a year,but still popped babies out then magically they opened up one day and were fine after that. 

What are your parameters ? 

parameters are alk/KH is 8.3, nitrites are 0, nitrates are 3, ph is 8, Ca is 420 and salinity is kept at 35. its an odd tank as when I first got it and had no clue about reefing I had corals in a day after setting it up and somehow Coraline algae took over the tank in a matter of weeks, everything was going extremely well, then It had a crash while I was on holiday and it never really recovered and I lost almost all my coral so I did I complete clean and re make about 2 months ago but its just got a lot of hair algae and diatoms and the corals are surviving but apart from a green cabbage leather they don't seem to be thriving, its weird.

It is a matter of time to establish and along with your maintenance also it will come together. You just need to find the "sweet spot" . Do not rush it, as fast changes could throw it off. 

• Like 1
ggabrielcc

bad news, I moved them to my 10 gallon for a couple days which I don't think was a very good idea at all but it was because something kept flipping the frags over, I found out it was the emerald crab but since putting them back in the tank they seem to be thinning out and I can see the zoa through its skin, the bigger polyps on the sunny D don't look too bad but the fire storm really doesn't look great. I definitely think It was a stupid mistake to move them into a different tank for a couple days. hopefully if I leave them completely alone they may come back.

IMG_8417.jpg

IMG_8416.jpg

• Like 1
ggabrielcc
2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Its more than likely because they are stretching for light. I have had TONS of zoa's do this back in the day. 

oh ok, the only thing is before I moved them they weren't like this

ggabrielcc
13 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

How is lighting between tanks ? 

both lights are pretty good, one is  TMC reef photon (the main tank for the zoas) and the temporary tank has a giesmann teszla. I don't have a par meter but I'm confident in he lights