Coral Vue Hydros

White growth near Bangaii gill

Oldfishwife

Oldfishwife

I had to put my little Bangaii Card of of his misery today. I notice he stopped eating 2 days ago and saw that he had a white lump right beside his gill. Yesterday he still wouldn't eat and was lethargic but impossible to catch. Today he was gasping and near the sand. I was able to net him without much problem, but he was near death. I couldn't get and pics because he would turn away every time I got close with my phone. My other fish all seem fine and are acting normal. Does anybody have any ideas? I looked up all fish diseases and I'm thinking a parasite of some kind. He's been in the tank a couple of weeks. Thanks for any input. 

Oldfishwife
21 hours ago, RedCrow said:

What do you mean by “put him out of his misery”? 

He was dying. I removed him, put him in a small bowl of tank water and placed him in the freezer. I don't know what is recommended for gentle euthanasia nowadays, but that was one way people did it 20 years ago. 

Okay good. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t flush him, as that’s extraordinary painful for the fish 

That's better than flushing, but it's not encouraged, as it's not known for sure to be humane. 

The two best methods are either clove oil overdose (it's an anesthetic- you add a bit at a time and it works like any other anesthetic overdose), or a handful of different methods to quickly, physically destroy the brain. I've used clove oil on fish and some unwanted pest animals, and it works- they slow down without any distress signs, slowly stop maintaining equilibrium, and eventually stop breathing. I've also used a few different physical methods on lizards the cats have gotten. For any animal, sedative overdose or direct brain damage is the way to go. 

Oldfishwife
On 5/5/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tired said:

That's better than flushing, but it's not encouraged, as it's not known for sure to be humane. 

The two best methods are either clove oil overdose (it's an anesthetic- you add a bit at a time and it works like any other anesthetic overdose), or a handful of different methods to quickly, physically destroy the brain. I've used clove oil on fish and some unwanted pest animals, and it works- they slow down without any distress signs, slowly stop maintaining equilibrium, and eventually stop breathing. I've also used a few different physical methods on lizards the cats have gotten. For any animal, sedative overdose or direct brain damage is the way to go. 

Thank you! I will remember that if I ever have to do it again. 

Oldfishwife
On 5/5/2020 at 12:02 PM, RedCrow said:

Okay good. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t flush him, as that’s extraordinary painful for the fish 

I would never flush. I worked with a woman once who laughingly talked about flushing a healthy male Beta because it was bothering her female Beta. 😳 it's called mating. Poor little Beta. 🙁