Coral Vue Hydros

Ammonia/Nitrate poisoning treatment

rickandmorty

rickandmorty

We have two clown fish, we believe the male has suffered from nitrate/ammonia poisoning as he has all the symptoms I've found listed such as rapid gill movement, not eating, laying on bottom of tank. 

We have changed the water, put him into a quarantine tank for the mean time, he survived the night (which the vet said he wouldn't) and it appears as if his gill movement has slowed, but he is still laying on the bottom of the tank usually on his side, or he uses the rock as a shield and basically just lies against it without moving. 

I have contacted my local fish vet and she said to place an air stone with him to give extra oxygen as ammonia poisoning damages their gills. We have also placed stress coat and ammo lock to give him an extra boost. 

I was wondering if anyone knew if we should have the pump on as well as the air stone because I notice that because of lack of energy it seems like he prefers to have it off or is it necessary to keep on? Does anyone know if there is anything else we can do or is it just a waiting game now? 

We have checked water levels and everything seems A-Ok. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Is your quarantine tank cycled? Because if not, that's not going to help anything. They need to be in a cycled tank. 

Are you sure it was ammonia poisoning? Did you test the water to confirm? One fish being affected, but not the other, is strange with any sort of poisoning case.