teenyreef

Teenyreef's 20g Garage-kept Dustmite Biotope

teenyreef

Well, there's been progress, of a sort. Things are starting to show up on the front porch. I got the blue PVC from Aquarium Specialty. They shipped quickly and the packing was great. Total cost for four five-foot length pipes was $35. It would have been a little cheaper from BRS but they were out of stock.

20200523_165156.jpg

And the new light is here! I may go ahead and work on figuring out the mounting system now, and just put it over the IM10. I probably will have to set it to about 10 or 15% to avoid blasting the corals though.

20200523_171342.jpg

• Like 4

Cannedfish
10 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well, there's been progress, of a sort. Things are starting to show up on the front porch. I got the blue PVC from Aquarium Specialty. They shipped quickly and the packing was great. Total cost for four five-foot length pipes was $35. It would have been a little cheaper from BRS but they were out of stock.

20200523_165156.jpg

And the new light is here! I may go ahead and work on figuring out the mounting system now, and just put it over the IM10. I probably will have to set it to about 10 or 15% to avoid blasting the corals though.

20200523_171342.jpg

Honestly, I’d say just set it at 80%, you should be good... acro say thanks... everything else melts... 😂

• Haha 1

dropped

Ohh G5 Blue... why not the pro 🙂 

I approve, great lights.

• Like 1

teenyreef
On 5/23/2020 at 7:39 PM, Cannedfish said:

Honestly, I’d say just set it at 80%, you should be good... acro say thanks... everything else melts... 😂

Ha ha, I should have guessed you'd be the one with this great idea 😂

• Haha 1

teenyreef
19 hours ago, dropped said:

Ohh G5 Blue... why not the pro 🙂 

I approve, great lights.

Thanks and good question! The Blue is designed to create the Radion AB+ spectrum program by simply setting every channel to 100%. This is a very popular setting for the original Radions and It's pretty much what I'm looking for in this tank. If you prefer less blue, then the Pro may be better.

BRS gives a good explanation near the beginning of this video: 

• Like 1

teenyreef

I think I have the light hanging system figure out finally. Back when I was planning for the non-peninsula setup, I bought a couple of UNS hanging bars with the idea that they'd mount on the back glass. This is a picture of the setup from their website:

Ultum-Nature-Systems-UNS-Light-Hanging-Bar-Detail.jpg

Of course I wasn't going to hang the light that high...

But in a peninsula setup, it would look weird to put the hanging brackets on one side of the tank. So I've been trying to figure out how to get one long bracket going down the center of the tank...maybe by mounting something to the wall.

After looking at the UNS brackets, I think I can hack them up to work. I can use a long piece from each of the two kits and have a bracket that's long enough. I just need to cut a new slot for the cord on the bottom of the horizontal tube. Then all I need to do is figure out a clean and attractive way to mount it on the wall. It has to be offset a tiny bit away from the wall to allow for the bracket that goes on the top of the vertical tube, so standard conduit clamps won't work. Plus they would be ugly. 👎

I must have spent three hours searching online for something that would work...I found plumbing products, closet rail systems, hand rail systems, but the best I could find was a really ugly galvanized steel mount which would look terrible with the nice finished aluminum of the UNS tube.

Finally, I found the right search term for what I had pictured in my head - "linear shaft support". I don't know why I didn't search for that to begin with. :huh:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/power_transmission_(mechanical)/linear_shaft_supports/low_profile_shaft_supports/tmssl-12

I'll use two of these to hold the tube vertically on the wall. As long as I mount them securely it should hold the light very well.

l_tmssl12.jpg

• Like 4

teenyreef

Wow, for any maker geeks out there, I have to give automationdirect.com major praise! I placed the order late Sunday night. Monday was a holiday. This morning I got a note from them telling me they upgraded the shipping to overnight at no charge :whoa:, so the supports will arrive on Wednesday. 

• Like 2

mipster

So glad you found the right lighting solution! What other bits and pieces do you still need to track down or are you almost ready to get the tank built?? The anticipation is killing me! omgomgomg

• Like 1

teenyreef
2 hours ago, mipster said:

So glad you found the right lighting solution! What other bits and pieces do you still need to track down or are you almost ready to get the tank built?? The anticipation is killing me! omgomgomg

I think I have almost everything now. But I won't know for sure until I start to dry fit the plumbing.

I do need to get some spray paint for the bottom and back of the tank (sand color and frosted finish). And I need to decide and order either dry rock, or some nice new uncured live rock from the gulf.