Pod Your Reef

how many RFA in a 16 gal?

sadie

I REALLY, REALLY love my new RFA and was wondering how many I could keep in my 16 gal.  I was thinking about 1 more, but I also know they can breed, or have babies etc and then I would have more.  I only have 1 fish, a pajama cardinal. 

you got a picture of all those RFA?  Would love to see that!  Here I was nervous about adding 1 more.  HOw did you get that many?  Did you buy a lot, or did they have babies?

• Like 1

RFAs will grow to different sizes, depending on how much and how often you feed them, so small meals will keep them relatively small. As long as you keep the water clean, you can have as many as can physically fit on the surfaces in your aquarium- they don't mind being crammed together. 

If you have two, there's only a 50% chance of them being a m/f pair, and even then you might not ever have them breed. Breeding isn't really a concern, either, as the babies start very small and would be easy to rehome once they get to the size of assorted coins. SaltCritters.com has some really nice RFAs, check 'em out. 

• Thanks 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
3 minutes ago, sadie said:

you got a picture of all those RFA?  Would love to see that!  Here I was nervous about adding 1 more.  HOw did you get that many?  Did you buy a lot, or did they have babies?

If you look at the picture of the month contest, the tank on the right is the rock flower tank (I don't have a journal on it, but I've thought about creating one.)

I've bought most of them. All though, I have had some babies appear and grow up. The two best places I've ordered from were Foxy Saltwater and @Got Corals. I've never ordered RFA's from Savage Reefers, but he's got a great reputation as well. (I did get one as a freebie on a different order from him, it was healthy, and a little bigger than a quarter.) 

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If you look at the picture of the month contest, the tank on the right is the rock flower tank (I don't have a journal on it, but I've thought about creating one.)

I've bought most of them. All though, I have had some babies appear and grow up. The two best places I've ordered from were Foxy Saltwater and @Got Corals. I've never ordered RFA's from Savage Reefers, but he's got a great reputation as well. (I did get one as a freebie on a different order from him, it was healthy, and a little bigger than a quarter.) 

I didn't see any pictures in picture of the month.  They must have cleared it because of the new month.

NoOneLikesADryTang
10 minutes ago, sadie said:

I didn't see any pictures in picture of the month.  They must have cleared it because of the new month.

Ahhh! You’re right. It’s now May. Here’s the photo. 

14C873F9-0E1A-4FE2-B54A-410CD812ABAD.jpeg

• Like 3
teenyreef
37 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

I think it’s safe to say... a lot. 

Still the gold standard for RFA tanks 🙂

• Like 2

It's so funny to think I was nervous about adding one more!  I'm excited to know I can add more, though I will do it slowly.

Thanks for all the input guys!!