SaltCritters.com

13g Shallow Lagoon; first coral! :~)

Fryguy0201

Elizabeth94

Very cool stand. Im kind of jealous that you will easily get top down views. I wish  my tank was a few inches shorter.  Top down view is the best view imo!

• Like 1
Fryguy0201
30 minutes ago, Keewie said:

That stand looks amazing. Definitely an art piece. I really like how you took the time to plan out your coral placement. I think I will be using your zoa garden rock idea.

Thank you :~) hoping I can use my sisters DSLR and get some good pictures of the stand soon! 

IM SO READYYY TO GET THIS THING WET!! 

Fryguy0201
5 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Very cool stand. Im kind of jealous that you will easily get top down views. I wish  my tank was a few inches shorter.  Top down view is the best view imo!

I agree on top down being the best view especially in a tank with mainly “carpeting” corals. the whole thing was definitely planned around a top down view but i like that it’s gunna have a good view from everywhere except the back :~)

Just got my RODI setup will be wet in 10? 12? hours we will see how long this takes 😬 but we will be wet before I sleep tonight whether I have to stay up till 4 am or not. 

After a very long night we’re wet! Two questions does anyone know how tf you set the tunze nanostream to a constant flow? And the tunze ato fill line is the black squiggly line under the black sensor? 

49EC5342-537D-4DDF-BF03-6546EBE86FF0.jpeg

• Like 3

Ok figured out the ato but I seriously don’t understand how to set the nanostream to a constant stream. But honestly with the main flow from the return pump being more powerful then I thought I might like the pulse settings...

• Like 1

Wait a minute I figured it out I think? You have to have the wave strength and pulse strength turned on and it interchanges or you can have one set to zero and get a true on off pulse? also turned it sideways to get a deeper flow...particles not landing so i’m happy. Gunna go to sleep will post some pictures after cleaning up tomorrow and the waters clear. First test then too other than salinity which is at 1.025 if anyone wonders,,, also didn’t realize my thermometer didn’t have batteries 😔 will be getting those asap as well as a backup 😬

• Like 1

Ok first morning test results:

Salinity: 1.025

Ph: 8 (maybe 7.8 hard to tell)

Ammonia: .2 

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Temp: holding 79 now 

Should I add more of an ammonia source? I assume that more dieoff on the rock from shipping will raise ammonia even more so I will test again tonight.

Uhmmm ato are kinda confusing I had a little issue and filled a little much so my salinity is at 1.024 should I be concerned or just roll with it till my water change? 

Awesome little shallow tank,I love it. 1.024 isn't terrible honestly. I would let it go and slowly bump it back up to .025-.026. Since here is not technical corals or anything not much should be bothered by it.  

• Like 2

Take it easy, nature is quite hardy. I witnessed polyps with no current, light and heating for over a month and the polyps still opened up daily..!

Let it go for a couple of weeks, do 20-25% waterchanges (bi-)weekly and don't worry too much. 😊

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

Awesome little shallow tank,I love it. 1.024 isn't terrible honestly. I would let it go and slowly bump it back up to .025-.026. Since here is not technical corals or anything not much should be bothered by it.  

Thanks! And yes you're right,, I am going to try to not overreact to anything...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DNR88 said:

Take it easy, nature is quite hardy. I witnessed polyps with no current, light and heating for over a month and the polyps still opened up daily..!

Let it go for a couple of weeks, do 20-25% waterchanges weekly and don't worry too much. 😊

You're right! I totally know this I am just an over thinker but I am pretty good at holding myself back LOL gunna let it gooooooo and try not to question everything

• Like 1

Been to lazy to take pics but:

Salinity: 1.025 (I think I forgot to flush out the syringe yesterday so it lowered it a bit)

Ammonia: .8

Temp: 78.3 the aqueon 50 might need to be swapped it can't seem to hold temp very stable and it hasn't swinged more than a degree and very slowly but I also have it set to 86 to keep where it even is now so.

Following! This tanks looks so cool in all white, wish you could get the pump in white too haha. And really nice rock scape! 
i have an Aqueon 50w, it’s the preset one though, but it doesn’t hold 78 either and seems to vary... just received a cobalt 50w today will see how that goes, but it’s got some really cool features and comes well recommended.

• Thanks 1

I noticed a thick surface layer that just wasn’t pretty and I know they can be more common in new tanks but it just wasn’t right. Figured out I overfilled the tank and while I love the look of the water 1/2” from the edge it’s just not working with a lagoon in the back 🤣 that being said I removed about a gallon of water and I got some trickling in the first chamber now. Was thinking I might need to remove more but from what I read once the overflow is trickling it’ll even itself out...17F5F52F-C3FB-4A1B-8F7B-BF46B17A463D.thumb.jpeg.f92cef32da445ae985f992d9614c0f0a.jpeg

• Like 3

So ammonia is still sitting at .8 maybe 1 while nitrites and trates are both sitting at 0...Gunna wait a couple more days before considering adding nitrifying bacteria and some more ammonia (probably not the ammonia i don’t wanna shock it when there’s already a source present?). But on the flip side temp and salinity holding stable! 

• Like 1

Quick update ! Everything going good temp holding within 1 degree of 79 and salinity hasn’t budged from 1.025 yet so I happy. Ammonia still sitting below 1 but finally have some nitrates reading lowest on red sea at 2. Here’s a side photo of the tank, can u see Gutz (the feather duster)?FC91B773-80C4-4F67-86EC-221E164FCB0A.thumb.jpeg.6cde6f1cc83509ae8ff3723d86cca3e1.jpeg

Heres a pic of him I think he’s doing good? I fed him a bit about two days ago will probably again tomorrow or before my water change Wednesday! I hope he lives I have become attached to him? 7504A5F2-A8E7-4AF1-8461-B3A01B077265.thumb.jpeg.e447b52ffb438cd214460a074f339322.jpeg

Can also see some life starting to root on my dry rock perhaps some algae too but i’ll take it! Gunna work on cleaning up under the stand today :~) Will update as I have things to update I guess! 

• Like 2

So hard to see but just noticed (middle of the photo) two little feather duster babies maybe? maybe just hydroids but they can retract into the tube so I think that’s a feather duster? I don’t know but i might have to set my little 5 gallon up for this rock after so my feather duster babies can have a tank of their own...

F1314347-3F07-4767-97E1-5EAB2B397898.jpeg

• Like 2

More than likely its feather dusters. Hydroids I don't think have tubes,no ? I always thought they were free floating "jelly" types or organisms. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

More than likely its feather dusters. Hydroids I don't think have tubes,no ? I always thought they were free floating "jelly" types or organisms. 

I don’t know much about them so it was kinda just a random speculation to be honest....I found 3 more already so if they are feather dusters I have a little collection going I guess.