Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

13g Shallow Lagoon; first coral! :~)

Fryguy0201

Fryguy0201

Finished this rock work I think i’m settled on this and super happy with it. The left side is actually in two pieces that kinda “lock” together to make it easier if I ever need to lift rocks for whatever reason. Don’t wanna risk scratching my tank so that will wait till the day it gets wet (June 2nd). Still willing to fix or improve things if anyone has suggestions but otherwise i’m super happy with this, cheers! 😆

65BA1EE5-46F1-4C05-A490-01E6A4076FE5.jpeg

2545F285-3755-464B-A845-A288EB9CFA07.jpeg

• Like 3
Fryguy0201

Since it’s a shallow tank I was going for mainly a sexy top down view but I want different looks from each side so hopefully I can get pics to show that once the tank is up...(I need to learn to take pictures (or make my photographer sister take some nice ones for me))

• Like 1
sam_the_reefer

For the scape, I tend to apply planted tank concepts to reef tanks because I love the planted tank aesthetics, especially Iwagumi style scapes. For shallow tanks I think it would be interesting to see part of the scape out of the water,  like this guy: 

• Like 3
Fryguy0201
7 minutes ago, xellos88 said:

For the scape, I tend to apply planted tank concepts to reef tanks because I love the planted tank aesthetics, especially Iwagumi style scapes. For shallow tanks I think it would be interesting to see part of the scape out of the water,  like this guy: 

I’ve always loved this tank with the airplants up top it’s perfect definitely not the look im going for tho 

• Like 2
DISQUALIFIED-QQ
6 hours ago, Fryguy0201 said:

I’ve always loved this tank with the airplants up top it’s perfect definitely not the look im going for tho 

Often times when the tide gets very low or even negative, acroporids are exposed to the sun and surf. If you're up for it you could place branching SPS right at the surface.

• Like 2
Fryguy0201
1 hour ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Often times when the tide gets very low or even negative, acroporids are exposed to the sun and surf. If you're up for it you could place branching SPS right at the surface.

I want something with more “negative space” not taken up by rock and coral but that looks so sick when people have colonies of SPS that are right up to the surface 🤩🤩🤩

• Like 1
Fryguy0201

Can’t get pics from the side that do any justice so that waits for another day but here’s it in the tank (i got too excited) and some *extremely* tentative placement plans. Have lights and a Tunze 6040 on the way then it’s just waiting till setup to get sand and some seed rock from my LFS..but I am itchy to setup this tank. Well off we go to wait some more 😆

ACE5C66D-4149-4586-A6FF-652C3B7FB62F.jpeg

5ADC9603-0514-40BB-A252-38CCE1334323.jpeg

• Like 4
Fryguy0201

Cleaned up this old 5 gallon a bit (could use some more) but it’s a little big for where I wanted to put it so might use it for same plan somewhere else or I might use it as a “terrarium” for some pitcher plants (Sarracenia Rubra specifically). 

E5A3A183-BFFF-42E4-9B04-16C1611DDF37.jpeg

• Like 2
SaltyGallon

Lovely scape mate, gives a nice sense of scale and depth. Are you going for a wavemaker, or just the return pump? You'll get your flow bouncing nicely off that front glass - I have a nano of similar proportions 🙂

• Like 1
Fryguy0201
4 hours ago, Azur said:

Lovely scape mate, gives a nice sense of scale and depth. Are you going for a wavemaker, or just the return pump? You'll get your flow bouncing nicely off that front glass - I have a nano of similar proportions 🙂

Ty, and I have a Tunze 6040 coming for flow as well and want to turn the return pump down as much as possible (without messing up water levels in the back) and use that as my main source of flow. Might look into getting a stronger return pump and just relying on that but I don't really feel comfortable with no filter relying on my return for flow as flow will be the "main source" of filtration.

Fryguy0201

not relevant but she will be included in other updates so here is the kitty i rescued today (pics are right after picking her up i’ll try to get updated ones soon). she was neglected all covered in fleas and matted fur on her under side she has a slight case of worms maybe some ear mites can’t tell yet but vet visit in a week 😞 I don’t know how anyone could do this to an animal and then just leave them to die some real pieces of shit out there. But anyways she’s a big sweet heart with lots of love to give she has a strong spirit in such a tiny little body. Haven’t decided on a name but ~probably~ Suki if I get my way...

B66583F3-C800-4E8E-BF13-B678AEDE0A2A.jpeg

C8666F75-71A8-44BB-9E81-645695626BC7.jpeg

• Like 4
Fryguy0201

Getting the stand painted today (exciting) and opened my ato to make sure all was good and glad i did cause one of the sensors is chipped...

0DFCE5B2-1A16-4FEB-B7E6-5A4B6C0DF13E.jpeg

7FE2192B-4727-4FB8-B6BC-55F26441D2BE.jpeg

• Like 1
Fryguy0201

Almost done gunna wait till the tank is wet to get some good pics of the stand too also my friend no still life photo realism painter (does more stylized stuff usually) buts she’s done pretty good making corals look as coraly as she can and i love it 

C6C66F3E-2AA1-4DE6-B9AE-46A1882F2854.jpeg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Fryguy0201 said:

Almost done gunna wait till the tank is wet to get some good pics of the stand too

That's beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished stand!

• Like 2
Fryguy0201
1 minute ago, Operaman said:

That's beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished stand!

I cant stop staring at it tbh...gunna steal my sisters dslr when the time comes and get some good detail shots eventually too 🤣🤣

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Fryguy0201 said:

i cant resist here’s a pic from my friend sc story 😣i forgot to take one it needs a good glossy coat imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b🧥 6A7B721C-22C7-4FDB-B6E0-4B7E58D9945E.thumb.jpeg.49fa795db877f50f4659b3f494718ede.jpeg

That's really cool, love the different coral types in the painting

• Like 1
Fryguy0201

Moving has been hectic also had car troubles that set me back a couple hundred bucks came out of the tank budget but have my final orders coming in next Wednesday and we wait no more!!!!

• Like 1
Fryguy0201

working on hooking everything up doing a dry fit RODI unit comes tomorrow..exciting stuff. not too thrilled about the wave maker look but might move it if i can drill a hole in the front for wires 

79C61018-AC80-46F1-9E9F-B3AAC3811A16.jpeg

• Like 3
Fryguy0201
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

BTA tank!  or florida ricordea.  or whatever you want cuz the tank and rock work looks great!

Definitely ricordeas covering one half and ty 😄

• Like 1
Fryguy0201

(excuse the mess) got my light set up pretty much almost ready to go sadly my rodi got delivered to my old address 😔 hopefully can pick up tonight or tomorrow early! 

AC97AF1B-42B3-4B29-8B22-3FA54045B62E.jpeg

FBEF80D8-0578-45C1-8673-4324CABCEDC7.jpeg

B1402A8B-F5D6-437D-8C8B-A0955C09DC9D.jpeg

• Like 5

That stand looks amazing. Definitely an art piece. I really like how you took the time to plan out your coral placement. I think I will be using your zoa garden rock idea.

• Like 1