Innovative Marine Aquariums

ATO keeps lowering alkalinity

New Reefer Dude

New Reefer Dude

hello there fellow reefer friends. I recently purchased a TUNZE ato system. and over the course of a few days or so I realized that it was lowering my salinity so I just turned it off and stopped using it. does anyone have any info 

The only way it could do that is by adding too much water....that would dilute everything though (ca, alk, mg, no3, po4, et a), not just alkalinity.  I'm assuming that the ATO reservoir only had RODI water in it, correct?

Does salinity/specific gravity seem to be correct?

What test are you running for alk?  Any chance you think it could be a testing error?

Also, can you post a tank pic?  Sometimes we might see things that help with a diagnosis.

• Like 1
New Reefer Dude
4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

The only way it could do that is by adding too much water....that would dilute everything though (ca, alk, mg, no3, po4, et a), not just alkalinity.  I'm assuming that the ATO reservoir only had RODI water in it, correct?

Does salinity/specific gravity seem to be correct?

What test are you running for alk?  Any chance you think it could be a testing error?

Also, can you post a tank pic?  Sometimes we might see things that help with a diagnosis.

im SORRY mcarroll I just noticed I put alkalinity instead of SALINITY .. SMH.  yes the ATO reservoir only has RODI water. I even opened up the tunze ato and turned the screw down and it still was giving to much water. I like to keep my salinity at 1.25 and im using hanna checkers as my test kits 

8 minutes ago, New Reefer Dude said:

im SORRY mcarroll I just noticed I put alkalinity instead of SALINITY .. SMH.  yes the ATO reservoir only has RODI water. I even opened up the tunze ato and turned the screw down and it still was giving to much water. I like to keep my salinity at 1.25 and im using hanna checkers as my test kits 

All good! 😄

This is just the height at which your sensor is mounted more than likely.   (The problem isn't that the ATO keeps running and won't shut off, is it?)

If the sensor is where you want it and only the salnity is off, then you just want to add saltwater for a one-time correction.  You could even put saltwater in the ATO reservoir until salinity comes correct, and then switch back to RODI.

Check out this calculator to help you out with deciding what/how much to add:

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/DirectSaltCalculator.php

• Like 1
New Reefer Dude
3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

All good! 😄

This is just the height at which your sensor is mounted more than likely.   (The problem isn't that the ATO keeps running and won't shut off, is it?)

If the sensor is where you want it and only the salnity is off, then you just want to add saltwater for a one-time correction.  You could even put saltwater in the ATO reservoir until salinity comes correct, and then switch back to RODI.

Check out this calculator to help you out with deciding what/how much to add:

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/DirectSaltCalculator.php

I has to be where it is mounted cause it turns off and on. just couldn't figure out why it was lowering the salinity. so you think it is where it is mounted in the sump or how I have the sensor set

• Like 1
RustyRocket

Have test of your ATO reservoir, check that it is absolutely fresh water. I have a feeling that your Top off water supply tube is too low and is submerged in "accurate" levels and is back syphoning into the ATO reservoir, so essentially diluting your entire tank. The pump makes a loud beep alarm when water level is too high, its not likely to have diluted your salinity too much.  

New Reefer Dude
2 hours ago, RustyRocket said:

Have test of your ATO reservoir, check that it is absolutely fresh water. I have a feeling that your Top off water supply tube is too low and is submerged in "accurate" levels and is back syphoning into the ATO reservoir, so essentially diluting your entire tank. The pump makes a loud beep alarm when water level is too high, its not likely to have diluted your salinity too much.  

I have a clamp on top of my sump that's connected to the ato tube. so the tube is above the water by bout an 1in