inTank Media Baskets

Robs ADA 45-F Reef

Rob Francis

5 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

Yeah its weird how behind the curve we are here - I can think of two LFS' which are very good on salty stuff but they'd never recommend a nano unless it was e.g. the Fluval 13.5. Every person I've shown my 1G pico to here has been like 'how is this possible' or 'how do u run if without skimmer???'... When if they spent half an hour on here they'd see a tonne of amazing small tanks that don't break the bank.

The price of high-end/named corals irks me a bit over here, especially when everyone in the US seems to have them in abundance... But such is life lol. Ultimate Reef is a good UK forum for buying and selling, but I'd deffo come on here if I needed advice - UR seems a bit oldschool!

I get regularly banned from that forum, mainly arguing with staff over pointless rules. Sales forum is good though and the Free to good Home section has been useful too

• Like 1
Rob Francis

Thats the forum lol, the sales have always been good there and open again at last.

Ive got a question guys,

If Im doing a 2 gallon jar with no fish (livestock) and am going to be doing 100% water changes, do I still need to do a traditional cycle?

Im just thinking, I could spend ages building up the bacteria (was planning on dr tims) and then when cycle is done, stop. But with no livestock there will be nothing for the bacteria to feed on?

I was planning on feeding reef-roids the night before water change day though.

Or am I way off?

Cheers,

Rob

I was wondering the same thing. I think if you have live rock and sand you might wanna cycle just to let a microfauna population build up but idk probably not, you can always do emergency 100% changes 

Rob Francis

Ive got live rock and regular sand, Caribsea aragonite sugar size oolite (whatever that is!)

No sign of live in the rock though, it wouldnt surprise me if the heaters and pumps were turned off at the lfs when they closed for lockdown.

How did you start yours up mate?

SaltyGallon
On 6/13/2020 at 8:32 PM, Rob Francis said:

Thats the forum lol, the sales have always been good there and open again at last.

Ive got a question guys,

If Im doing a 2 gallon jar with no fish (livestock) and am going to be doing 100% water changes, do I still need to do a traditional cycle?

Im just thinking, I could spend ages building up the bacteria (was planning on dr tims) and then when cycle is done, stop. But with no livestock there will be nothing for the bacteria to feed on?

I was planning on feeding reef-roids the night before water change day though.

Or am I way off?

Cheers,

Rob

I would mate, and did with my current 1g pico (see link in sig) - the rock got dumped in a bigger tank for a couple weeks before hand. I think its worth it even if it's just sticking the intended rock in saltwater with some ammonia and a powerhead to help kick it all off. Some of the silicates will leach out of the rock and minimize those early diatom blooms etc. and likewise you'll want some bacteria present to breakdown waste from corals and little inverts/pods (although I don't know how significant they both would be - depends how much you feed I'd guess!)

• Like 1
Rob Francis

Ive got some Dr Tims One & Only and a bottle of Ammonia on the way so will get going as soon as it arrives.

I dont have another tank to seed this one so its a total fresh start but am thinking of asking the lfs for a few brittlestars/bristleworms etc after a while to add a bit of basic life/bottom rung cuc.

Ive also decided to start a 1g jar sat next to this one. My idea is to have it as a bit of a qt tank to give me somewhere to put new corals and keep an eye on them before putting on the 2g.

I want to have some nice macro algae in it with a minimal rock display.

I dont know if it will work though...

• Like 1