Pod Your Reef

Fluval Evo 13.5 w/ under hood Current Orbit lighting

SoCalreefer94

SoCalreefer94

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has seen a mod to add the Current USA Orbit light to the Fluval Evo but integrate it into the hood? Is this possible?

Chadicus Meridius

I don’t think so the stock light is very thin and the current USA is much more wide. It might be possible but you would have to make the place where the stock light is bigger

SoCalreefer94

Oh darn... Do you thing that perhaps mounting a couple of Truelumen bars under the hood would do just as well? I have used them before and they were great on my old 40 gal, I till have the dual ramp timer from that setup as well.

My only reservation is someone from Current advised against that saying that under that hood the bars would get too corroded, but wouldn't that be the same for any light system even the stock?

SoCalreefer94
16 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I suspect the Truelumens aren't sealed in plastic like the others.  You might be able to DIY something.

Yeah looking at the ones I used for my 40 theres no proofing or sealing on it, however in the photos it shows retrofits being applied to Biocubes and other small enclosed reefs. Do you think as something cheap and short term (1-2yrs) it would work?

If ventilation is an issue perhaps I should mod in a small fan?

I got mine pretty much flush with where the original fluval light is by using a pair of pliers to break off the shield on the underside of the hood, then cut two slots for the mounting bars of the light on each side of the hood using a sharp knife, or serrated blade. I broke off the flat area on the back of the hood to allow the light to be pushed closer to the sump area as well. Lid sits flush on the top, looks pretty much like a stock fluval till you get close and notice the light is different.

Can post pictures if you'd like. Edit: i just stuck a few as i'm sure its hard to get what i mean.

As an aside, I ordered a new Hood and will be mounting , likely with silicon, my original and a second IC bar parallel to the original fluval light, in a similar manner, this will allow me to use the feeding hole and original light as intended, so i don't have to keep lifting the hood for feeding/testing.

IMG_20200506_0919524.jpg

IMG_20200506_0933290.jpg

IMG_20200506_0942318.jpg

Edited by Derekd
Picture
  • 2 weeks later...

In case any one is interested in a clean modding of this tank/hood and light system here's my update to last post.

I used Velcro brand outdoor Velcro patches (6"x4") cut to 2" strips to mount two 18" IC bars parallel to the original fluval light, they fit perfectly in the space next to the light in the "New" hoods. I had one of the original hoods and it is much shallower.

If you're worried about water/salt creep getting in the IC lights, just run a line of silicon along the edge of the lens where the plastic/metal meet and they'll be good.

The IC lights have their ramps setup through the LOOP controller, and the fluval light turns on during the daylight period, with my fuge light turning on at opposite times of the fluval light.

I know my tank isn't much to look at but once this was setup, within a week I was able to visibly observe growth (specifically base encrusting) day by day on my Monti's and Acros.

IMG_20200517_1135081.jpg

IMG_20200517_1128351.jpg

IMG_20200512_1257349.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
Seadragon
On 5/17/2020 at 3:10 PM, Derekd said:

In case any one is interested in a clean modding of this tank/hood and light system here's my update to last post.

I used Velcro brand outdoor Velcro patches (6"x4") cut to 2" strips to mount two 18" IC bars parallel to the original fluval light, they fit perfectly in the space next to the light in the "New" hoods. I had one of the original hoods and it is much shallower.

If you're worried about water/salt creep getting in the IC lights, just run a line of silicon along the edge of the lens where the plastic/metal meet and they'll be good.

The IC lights have their ramps setup through the LOOP controller, and the fluval light turns on during the daylight period, with my fuge light turning on at opposite times of the fluval light.

I know my tank isn't much to look at but once this was setup, within a week I was able to visibly observe growth (specifically base encrusting) day by day on my Monti's and Acros.

IMG_20200517_1135081.jpg

IMG_20200517_1128351.jpg

IMG_20200512_1257349.jpg

Thank you for sharing your MOD!  I'm in the process of setting up my new 13.5g tank and I was trying to figure out how to keep the stock lid while using the 2 IC lights I already own.  I came across your post after reading dozens of other mods and was amazed by how perfect this suggestion will work out for me under my unique circumstances.

Thank you again!  I already ordered the same outdoor heavy duty velcro. 😉

• 3 weeks later...