Innovative Marine Aquariums

Prdoring's Contour 3

prdoring

This mornings test.  I think I may do the water change, it is reallly hard to tell if the nitrite is reading 2 or 5.  I think it is 2, but it could be 5, and a water change won't hurt anything so why not.

image.thumb.png.72261f7c2f92a67ad4aba549eafc01dd.png

1 minute ago, prdoring said:

This mornings test.  I think I may do the water change, it is reallly hard to tell if the nitrite is reading 2 or 5.  I think it is 2, but it could be 5, and a water change won't hurt anything so why not.

Yes,  do a water change and bring it to .5 or .25  I had to do the same thing because I could not tell if it iwas 2ppm or 5ppm.  You are almost done!!!  I hate the API test kit when it comes to high numbers.  They start looking the same.

1 hour ago, prdoring said:

Ended up going down the hole on that one and watching the wonderful 30min talk on nitrification BRS youtube.  Good to know, Ammonia was at 0 last night, I won't be adding more until I see movement in Nitrite, after this mornings test I may do a 20% change to keep nitrite PH and nitrate in check.

1 hour ago, ramesis said:

I did the exact same thing when I cycled mine.  It was a good talk by Dr. Tim...  I followed everything he said except lowering my salinity.  But I setup my tank to 84 degrees and followed his steps.  It really worked.  I did use several seeding products..  Fritz Turbo 900, Dr Tims one and only and MicroBacter 7.  Not  all at once..  

Thanks for mentioning this talk on BRS tv by Dr. Tim. Super interesting, terrific watch.

It's happening!  Finally starting to see natural drop off in nitrites.  Down 50% from 12h ago.  Lets see if we hit 0 in another 12.  If so, I'll do another water change, hit another dose of ammonia, and see how quick it processes.

image.thumb.png.40a942e208d5ebe58c8771630e565962.png

• Like 1

Chiller arrived today, all installed and running!  My only concern is if there is reduction of flow from my return (180gph pump), wcs I can add a nano powerhead.

DSC01309.thumb.JPG.c8111b5e8e442a52e35c524b67d949b1.JPGDSC01310.thumb.JPG.227f657323aa023e758e2fc2fca2e155.JPGDSC01311.thumb.JPG.d71290d930c432260a32c6bd15ddf4a0.JPGDSC01308.thumb.JPG.60df5308e7fc5c4dd23ba0a51792efa9.JPG

• Like 2

Nitrites at .25 and Nitrates at 30.  So now I am thinking about nutrient export.  Here is my game plan, thoughts?

• Tomorrow morning I will dose 12 more drops of ammonium chloride
  • If I am reading 0 ammonia and nitrite after 24 hours I will consider the tank cycled
  • 50% water change, reducing nitrates to ~15
  • Start running chemipure blue to clean up more nitrates
  • Lights on
  • 50% water change a few days later (reducing nitrates to max ~7)
  • pick up cuc and green clown goby
  • start dosing microbacter clean preventativly

Feedback welcome and appreciated with the game plan going forward.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Is that .25 in your chart?  

Regarding the chiller..  I was thinking about splitting my return pump too to add a reverse refugium but was also concerned about the loss of power.  How much power did you think  you lost by splitting your return pump?

0 Nitrites!  Adding another dose of ammonium chloride, if ammonia and nitrite at 0 in next 24h I will consider the tank cycled and execute the plan above!

image.thumb.png.a90f38fca2514e15d87ab17fc3b0e08d.png

2 hours ago, ramesis said:

Is that .25 in your chart?  

Regarding the chiller..  I was thinking about splitting my return pump too to add a reverse refugium but was also concerned about the loss of power.  How much power did you think  you lost by splitting your return pump?

I actually did not split the return pump, it goes directly into the chiller, and the chiller returns directly to the outlet.  My flow concern is just with adding the extra several feet of tubing.  Watching surface agitation and particle movement, it seems like my flow should be alright.

• Like 1

Adding a tank photo to commemorate the imminent cycle completion.  Not much of an update but I want to be sure to have a solid "before" picture.DSC01315.thumb.jpg.057a3510266bcb3a0dbe0ef578c97d44.jpgDSC01314.thumb.jpg.7f586256887a3f4a910e92b916395f52.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like we aren't quite there yet.  24h later still seeing 2ppm nitrite.  We will see how long this takes to clear.

image.thumb.png.993b21060ca4b43ff2aacf2456bf344e.png

• Like 1

Cycle complete, went to LFS for cuc and fish.

Made my first mistake, what I thought was a YCG is a young YWG, he will be fine for now, but depending on size/bioload he will need to go back at some point in the future.

Pictures to come after everyone is in.

• Like 1

Congratulations!!  Looking forward to the pics!!!  BTW.. In that last chart your Nitrate very high.  Did you do your water change before adding the new inhabitants?

2 minutes ago, ramesis said:

Congratulations!!  Looking forward to the pics!!!  BTW.. In that last chart your Nitrate very high.  Did you do your water change before adding the new inhabitants?

Yes 95% change and added chemipure.  I'll add a graph when I get pictures in.

• Like 2

Just spot fed the goby, this dude has no problem eating, swam right up to the pipette and ate the shrimp right out of it.

• Like 1

Fun surprise.  Turns out one of the extra empty shells he threw in with the blue leg was a second blue leg!  They seem to be okay with each other so far.

• Like 2

~36h into being stocked and biofilter seems to be holding up well, no trace of ammonia or nitrite, nitrate rising a bit.  ~30% Water change tomorrow, going to be liberal with them until I have a good grip on system stability.  I want to keep Nitrate under 5ppm for the first 4ish months.

image.thumb.png.a732a7cbab08a2faef23132179279ca8.png

Couple Fun Videos W/ Cheap USB microscope

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DOd42JB7xi4ONmPnAryWhsy5iVikStxX/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1atGxqK3FVXomhfNyTcWAL-oL3nnlNPT7/view?usp=sharing

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ramesis said:

Thank you for sharing the videos!!  Great perspective!!  How long until you add your first corals?

I'm thinking I'll see how it does over the next week or so then pick up some zoa's and shrooms and see how they do.

• Like 1

Picked up a couple frags today to see how they hold up.  GSP (glued to back wall), Zoas (not fully open yet), and this ric.

DSC01327.thumb.jpg.ed0aa12cc6cc38867d7249f47589b5a7.jpg

• Like 1