Coral Vue Hydros

Prdoring's Contour 3

prdoring

On 5/1/2020 at 2:38 PM, prdoring said:

Allright! Definitive Nitrite! Microbuddies officially getting going.

I think the initial wiggles are from variability in my interpretation of the test kit. But nitirite is straight up purple, adding another 2ppm ammonia tonight.

880563240_chart(1).png.c72915f5da9b1fb4d3fb3ea53870fb01.png

What did you use to create this chart?  Love it!

5 hours ago, ramesis said:

What did you use to create this chart?  Love it!

Thanks! I use a google form for easy input, this throws the data as a line item into a google sheet with a timestamp.  Using the google sheet I made this graph, that automatically updates as I add data.  It has been working out well so far.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, prdoring said:

Thanks! I use a google form for easy input, this throws the data as a line item into a google sheet with a timestamp.  Using the google sheet I made this graph, that automatically updates as I add data.  It has been working out well so far.

That is awesome!!  I am going to look into that.  Thank you!

12 minutes ago, ramesis said:

That is awesome!!  I am going to look into that.  Thank you!

I am also happy to share a template you can copy out if you would like.

-PRD

Just now, prdoring said:

I am also happy to share a template you can copy out if you would like.

-PRD

That would be awesome!!  What would be the best way?  I can DM you my email address...

You and I fell into the same deep Covid induced return to reefing. At least there was one good thing to come from Social Isolation! Following along 😁

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, mipster said:

You and I fell into the same deep Covid induced return to reefing. At least there was one good thing to come from Social Isolation! Following along 😁

So true, and it is virtually free with all the money I am not spending at bars / restaurants / doing normal human things.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, prdoring said:

Here is the spreadsheet template.

Just go File->Make a copy to save it as your own

Here is the form template.
Click the dots in the upper right -> Make a copy and save it as your own

Once in the new copy go to the responses tab -> Dots -> select response destination -> select existing spreadsheet -> choose the one you saved off of the spreadsheet template.

Brilliant!  Thank you!!

3 hours ago, prdoring said:

So true, and it is virtually free with all the money I am not spending at bars / restaurants / doing normal human things.

Hahaha Not sure I totally see it the same way!

• Like 1

Oh boy, things are really starting to happen.  Not too much else to report.  Time to start figuring out what I want for a CUC.

image.thumb.png.05ed27efa9dbe3537c97cdd91f0e1695.png

• Like 1

Super interesting... could be variability in the test, but 12h after dosing more ammonia, ammonia is even lower, with nitrite only seeing a small boost and a big bump in nitrate.  Super cool if it is accurate, another test in the morning to determine statistical significance.

image.thumb.png.79ad60f36760c8ccc82aff9cf842523c.png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, prdoring said:

Super interesting... could be variability in the test, but 12h after dosing more ammonia, ammonia is even lower, with nitrite only seeing a small boost and a big bump in nitrate.  Super cool if it is accurate, another test in the morning to determine statistical significance.

image.thumb.png.79ad60f36760c8ccc82aff9cf842523c.png

I experienced exactly what you are seeing.  I just cycled a 10 gallon.  At the end of the cycle I would add ammonia and in a matter of hours it was gone the nitrites then would start going down a little slower but overnight they would be really low and eventually it got to the point where they were gone overnight.   You are almost done!!  and your PH dropped a bit which also happened to me.  I think I read somewhere that it is because the bacteria doing their thing.   

I did have a mini cycle after I added fish and started feeding but it lasted only a day and then microbuddies caught up.

• Like 1

Same readings as last evening, with even less ammonia.  Excellent!  Just need to get the nitrite->nitrate bacteria stronger and we are going to be in good shape.

Some other updates:

• Modded outflow to allow for a dual output, works great, much less sand turbulence and better reach.
  • I love zoas, and thinking about coral placement, I am considering doing the back wall as a zoa garden, has anyone ever done this before?
  • For CUC I am thinking 1 Blue leg hermet, 1 Astraea,  1 Cerith, 1 Mexican turbo, 1 Nassarius, 1 Zebra Nerite.  Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.5e3af6de4e2ddc127f8730dd2b428556.png

51qQfrprs4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I keep hearing that people say to stay away from the hermits if you can because they can pick on the corals. But I don't know.. I also want a Nassarius...  

Quick, but exciting update.  We had our first warmer than normal day here in Seattle yesterday, and most apartments in Seattle don't have air conditioning, including mine.  I decided to solve the problem before it is a problem and we have consistently high temps.

I went ahead and ordered the Chill Solutions CSX1 chiller.  It is rated for tanks up to 30g so I have some room to grow if I ever want to graduate from the pico, and it should have more than enough umph to keep this pico cool once summer is in full swing.  I am already thinking of the best way to cleanly mount / route it.  EXCITING STUFF

• Like 2
21 hours ago, ramesis said:

I keep hearing that people say to stay away from the hermits if you can because they can pick on the corals. But I don't know.. I also want a Nassarius...  

Hmm I feel like I have seen a lot of folks with hermits without issue.

• Like 1
debbeach13

I love my blue legs used to also like the scarlet red but don't have any right now. They some times might it a snail or maybe just cleaning out the shell from a dead snail. LOL

• Like 1

wow, 12h conversion of ammonia dose to nitrite.  Now we just need to get those nitrite->nitrate bact beefed up.  

Some questions:

• As long as nitrite isn't too high, should I keep dosing Ammonia to keep the ammonia->nitrite bact happy?
  • Should I worry about high nitrates with nothing in the tank?  Or should I just wait until cycle is complete for a water change?

image.thumb.png.dc104f155b12e49a6f285364a930cba2.png

19 hours ago, ramesis said:

As long as the Nitrates are below 20 I would not worry.. There is nothing in the tank.  Regarding adding more ammonia.  At this point I would not add any until ammonia and nitrites are 0.  Then do another cycle to make sure that they both go back down to 0 within 24 hours.

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/how-to-start

Is a good resource...

Ended up going down the hole on that one and watching the wonderful 30min talk on nitrification BRS youtube.  Good to know, Ammonia was at 0 last night, I won't be adding more until I see movement in Nitrite, after this mornings test I may do a 20% change to keep nitrite PH and nitrate in check.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, prdoring said:

Ended up going down the hole on that one and watching the wonderful 30min talk on nitrification BRS youtube.  Good to know, Ammonia was at 0 last night, I won't be adding more until I see movement in Nitrite, after this mornings test I may do a 20% change to keep nitrite PH and nitrate in check.

I did the exact same thing when I cycled mine.  It was a good talk by Dr. Tim...  I followed everything he said except lowering my salinity.  But I setup my tank to 84 degrees and followed his steps.  It really worked.  I did use several seeding products..  Fritz Turbo 900, Dr Tims one and only and MicroBacter 7.  Not  all at once..  

• Like 1