SaltCritters.com

First tank after dreaming for 10 years!

Sakana

Hi everyone and thanks for a wonderful forum!

Let me begin by introducing myself, my name is Simon, I'm a 25-year-old architect from France living in Stockholm, Sweden since. I joined this forum back in 2009 because of a growing interest for reef tanks as a teenager. No one has been really interested in the hobby in my family or friends so I cannot really tell why I got into this. Nevertheless It's been a passion since the beginning and I've spent hours and hours on every possible forum and website I could find. I have accumulated a gigantic amount of theoretical knowledge during these 10/11 years but I've never had the chance to actually own my own reef. When I was a teenager I didn't have money, then I studied a lot a moved countries several times to finally land in Sweden where I live since 2016. Being now a young professional and earning my own money, I just want to get into it and start slowly. I already know what my dream tank is and I'm saving up money for the 48x36x16" reef of my dreams. I keep that project aside as long as I don't own my own flat and don't have a permanent place to live.

I'm though moving in a new long-term apartment next week and I see that as an opportunity to start a first project and learn the practical stuff. Being an architect and having a certain obsession for aesthetics doesn't make the task any easier. I would moreover consider myself as a minimalist and would like my first tank to be as pure as possible. As you may have understood, I am a pretty patient person that just want to make things right. For this first tank I'm aiming to around 10 to 15 gallon mixed reef. I really like fish but what I like even more is corals so even if I might be tempted to get one or two small fish, I'd like to focus on corals and invertebrates which I think are at least as interesting to observe. I'm really fascinated by symbiosis in general, Alpheus/goby, Oshima crab/anemone, clownfish/anemone (even though 10gal is too small for clownfish, I'll keep that for the big one). So I could definitely see myself picking one of these as the main "attraction" of this tank besides the corals. I'm not a huge fan of softies on general and I'd like to have a mix of lps and some easy sps. 

I've been inspired by a lot my some ADA shallow reef systems that some of you have presented on this forum. Many of these have really clean setups but sometimes a bit overkill when it comes to lighting and filtration systems. I'm aiming for a more simple setup even though it may requires more maintenance. I definitely want to go for that shallow look but I don't think the ADA tanks have ideal dimensions. I like depth more than length and I would more likely be leaning towards something like 18x18x9" (45x45x22,5cm) that could mainly be enjoyed from above. It sounds like an acceptable size to begin with and have some fun. As you may have understood, I want to go minimal and therefore don't have a sump, I'm flexible on the rest as long as it does not pollute to look of the tank, so the bare essential for a viable tank is what I'm looking for. It's quite hard to find good gear in Sweden as the market is not as developed here as anywhere else in Europe and in the US so I will at least have to get a bespoke tank and order gear from international websites. I have an idea of what gear I would need but I'd like you to give me your personal advice first on how you would do it based on your personal experience than commenting my choices if this sounds ok to you all.

I think that's it for now! Thanks a lot for reading my long post and I look forward to reading your answers!

Simon

• Like 3
Chadicus Meridius

Welcome. :welcome: . You seem to be really interested in the hobby . I’ll say one thing I have a 20 gallon and I already feel limited on livestock choices, however I think it would be a good idea to get the small tank setup , just to get the gists of it , because watching a video on how to do a WC is “not” the same (atleast for me) as doing it, I had trouble the first 2 times , but I learned and I feel like that will help you a lot when your moving to your big dream tank, 

Gl, Seea

sorry for long response kinda went on a tangent 

Hi Seea and thanks for your reply!

I understand what you mean by feeling limited with your 20 gallon. I have been thinking a lot about this and I have come to the conclusion that I am ok with compromising on this. It is important for me now to make the most of my life situation as a young active. This implies that I may move again in a couple of years to a bigger apartment that will allow me for more but the dilemma actually was: do I still have the patience to wait even more and invest in something slightly bigger in like two years but at the same time still feel limited and still feel that I'm compromising in a way because it definitely won't be my dream tank that I estimate to more that I will afford in the coming years or should I just give it a go and learn by actually doing it being fully aware of the limitations ?

I've come to these tank dimensions by analysing the relationship between economical investment and satisfaction. 12 gallon will definitely cost less than 40 gallon for example but what do I really gain from getting 40 gal? More choice in fish while still very limited, more space for corals even though I always prioritize quality over quantity? I've come to the conclusion that the investment/satisfaction balance is better by going smaller though big enough to get one small fish. It will allow me to do better by choosing more qualitative equipment as a lot of gear as closely related to volume. So even though ATO, RO etc might have been the same for both sizes - lighting,  water movement, live rocks and live stock will automatically be cheaper for the same quality range.  I hope that it makes sense?!

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
2 minutes ago, Sakana said:

Hi Seea and thanks for your reply!

I understand what you mean by feeling limited with your 20 gallon. I have been thinking a lot about this and I have come to the conclusion that I am ok with compromising on this. It is important for me now to make the most of my life situation as a young active. This implies that I may move again in a couple of years to a bigger apartment that will allow me for more but the dilemma actually was: do I still have the patience to wait even more and invest in something slightly bigger in like two years but at the same time still feel limited and still feel that I'm compromising in a way because it definitely won't be my dream tank that I estimate to more that I will afford in the coming years or should I just give it a go and learn by actually doing it being fully aware of the limitations ?

I've come to these tank dimensions by analysing the relationship between economical investment and satisfaction. 12 gallon will definitely cost less than 40 gallon for example but what do I really gain from getting 40 gal? More choice in fish while still very limited, more space for corals even though I always prioritize quality over quantity? I've come to the conclusion that the investment/satisfaction balance is better by going smaller though big enough to get one small fish. It will allow me to do better by choosing more qualitative equipment as a lot of gear as closely related to volume. So even though ATO, auto top off etc might have been the same for both sizes - lighting,  water movement, live rocks and live stock will automatically be cheaper for the same quality range.  I hope that it makes sense?!

I get what your saying. Completely understand.  🙂 

Great! I tend to overthink too much and be very careful with what I do. Compulsive choices/buyings are really not my thing haha.

So if you were me and based on the few criteria I have (12 gal shallow, going to the essential, minimalistic looks, keeping mixed corals and one fish), what would you get?

1 hour ago, Sakana said:

Hi everyone and thanks for a wonderful forum!

Let me begin by introducing myself, my name is Simon, I'm a 25-year-old architect from France living in Stockholm, Sweden since. I joined this forum back in 2009 because of a growing interest for reef tanks as a teenager. No one has been really interested in the hobby in my family or friends so I cannot really tell why I got into this. Nevertheless It's been a passion since the beginning and I've spent hours and hours on every possible forum and website I could find. I have accumulated a gigantic amount of theoretical knowledge during these 10/11 years but I've never had the chance to actually own my own reef. When I was a teenager I didn't have money, then I studied a lot a moved countries several times to finally land in Sweden where I live since 2016. Being now a young professional and earning my own money, I just want to get into it and start slowly. I already know what my dream tank is and I'm saving up money for the 48x36x16" reef of my dreams. I keep that project aside as long as I don't own my own flat and don't have a permanent place to live.

I'm though moving in a new long-term apartment next week and I see that as an opportunity to start a first project and learn the practical stuff. Being an architect and having a certain obsession for aesthetics doesn't make the task any easier. I would moreover consider myself as a minimalist and would like my first tank to be as pure as possible. As you may have understood, I am a pretty patient person that just want to make things right. For this first tank I'm aiming to around 10 to 15 gallon mixed reef. I really like fish but what I like even more is corals so even if I might be tempted to get one or two small fish, I'd like to focus on corals and invertebrates which I think are at least as interesting to observe. I'm really fascinated by symbiosis in general, Alpheus/goby, Oshima crab/anemone, clownfish/anemone (even though 10gal is too small for clownfish, I'll keep that for the big one). So I could definitely see myself picking one of these as the main "attraction" of this tank besides the corals. I'm not a huge fan of softies on general and I'd like to have a mix of lps and some easy sps. 

I've been inspired by a lot my some ADA shallow reef systems that some of you have presented on this forum. Many of these have really clean setups but sometimes a bit overkill when it comes to lighting and filtration systems. I'm aiming for a more simple setup even though it may requires more maintenance. I definitely want to go for that shallow look but I don't think the ADA tanks have ideal dimensions. I like depth more than length and I would more likely be leaning towards something like 18x18x9" (45x45x22,5cm) that could mainly be enjoyed from above. It sounds like an acceptable size to begin with and have some fun. As you may have understood, I want to go minimal and therefore don't have a sump, I'm flexible on the rest as long as it does not pollute to look of the tank, so the bare essential for a viable tank is what I'm looking for. It's quite hard to find good gear in Sweden as the market is not as developed here as anywhere else in Europe and in the US so I will at least have to get a bespoke tank and order gear from international websites. I have an idea of what gear I would need but I'd like you to give me your personal advice first on how you would do it based on your personal experience than commenting my choices if this sounds ok to you all.

I think that's it for now! Thanks a lot for reading my long post and I look forward to reading your answers!

Simon

Welcome to NR! 😊

I run bare bones systems on all of my tanks...... no filter, no sump, no skimmer.  I rely on water changes for nutrient export.

It may be something for you to look into if you are wanting something simple.  

Chadicus Meridius
3 minutes ago, Sakana said:

Great! I tend to overthink too much and be very careful with what I do. Compulsive choices/buyings are really not my thing haha.

So if you were me and based on the few criteria I have (12 gal shallow, going to the essential, minimalistic looks, keeping mixed corals and one fish), what would you get?

I would get an ATo , light , tank, filtration(, and test kits. And a frozen shrimp for cycling. Obviously that’s what I would get, but you might want to get something else instead of an ATO.idk

Thanks WV for your reply!

I've seen your 12-gal tank and it convinced me that a viable tank doesn't necessarily need to rely on high end equipment and that good discipline in maintenance is the most important. It is quite impressive seeing a clam and some sps in your low key tank. That's definitely what I'm aiming for. It does not mean that I want to go cheap. I want appropriate equipment for the animals to thrive but at the same time not seeing a thousand ugly stuff in the tank. I'm struggling choosing adequate lighting, pumps, heater etc which besides being of good quality also look neat. I unfortunately think that most things just look ugly and I'm trying to look for saltwater alternatives that are similar to the ADA products. I especially like their lights, stainless steal internal filters and lily pipes. That's really the look I'm aiming for. If you have any tips, ideas or just inspiration pictures, please comment! 🙂 

• Like 2

Hi guys!

I just moved yesterday to a new apartment and it's getting real! I actually found the perfect spot in the small apartment, it can be viewed from all sides and visible from every part of the flat (except the toilets image.gif.7518dc9d37a2387db122733cfc5aa322.gif🤣). Here are some pictures:

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

I put some tape to symbolize 18"/45cm, the width of the countertop is about 10,5"/27cm which corresponds pretty much to an ADA 45-P. I was originally planning on going for a 45-F as I'm a sucker for shallow reefs but it might be too shallow and limit me maybe a bit too much? What do you think would look best? I was thinking I could maybe use that extra height to make some sort of slope with sand and create a maybe more natural looking piece of reef. A bit like East1's tank:

ftslarge.jpg

I think that it would bring something a bit different than what we usually see, do you think that the deeper sandbed would be beneficial for the biological filtration of the tank as well?
As I mentioned in my original post, I definitely want to go minimal and I know that some of you actually succeeded very well. I don't really have the possibility to have a sump and I don't want one anyway that's why every piece of equipment has to look neat. I like the glass and stainless steel looks and I'm currently looking for great pieces of gear that both would be adequate to fulfil my goals and not ruin the looks. I'm planning to have a mixed tank (some softies, a bunch of lps and some easy sps later) with probably one goby and its alpheus or a couple a gobiodon okinawae for instance and rely on weekly water changes.

I'm therefore looking for a good lighting (though not overkill as the tank above which runs 2 radions XR30...), a discrete powerhead (controllable if possible) and a small titanium heater. The rest won't be really visible so I don't really care such as the ATO for example. My kitchen countertop is big enough to host a good looking water container.

I'm not mentioning RO, type of rocks, type of sand, test kits etc but I will probably have some questions about it further on!

So in order to keep planning and making my budget, I would be very thankful if you could give me tips on what light, powerhead etc you would go with. Keep in mind that I live in Sweden and many things are not available on the European market! I'm a young architect that just began his career so even though I'm not on a strict budget, I won't be able to spend thousands of dollars either image.gif.54f035c8c08ece15ba43018fec924ba9.gif

Thanks a lot for your help!

Simon