Coral Vue Hydros

Mushroom color changing

gusto

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a gumdrop mushroom a while ago and it has changed colors and just wanted to get some suggestions on lighting and placement..  When I first purchased this mushroom I had Current IC led lights but two months after getting it I switched to AI prime lights.. It's growing but losing color..    Please see the three pictures   Thanks

1) Person's tank I bought it from - he was running AI primes and running also 100% blues..

20190804_132710.thumb.jpg.ae8a37ac3c030f34df4ec128ab5451fb.jpg

2) when I first purchased it and was under Current IC Leds 

IMG_20190811_180618.thumb.jpg.6d4ba084d4960c688046fa78d5c660e1.jpg

3) now under AI primes I also have it almost all the way in the corner of the tank about an two inches from the bottom..20200426_113211.thumb.jpg.be4fe1b804f7517a90f8b6744cf9c9a7.jpg

The three pics all seem to be in different lighting spectrums...so tough to say if the coral is actually  losing color.  If it is true color loss, lighting, nutrients, flow, all kinds of things can have an effect on that.  

That's the problem with photos, sometimes they aren't an accurate representation of the coral.

• Like 1

Thank you, Yes, I agree with the lighting..  just looks much different from when I purchased it and was thinking of putting it on the sand-bed and in one of the corners of the tank to see if it gets a little color back..  or maybe a slightly shaded area

Gourami Swami

Well it will never look like it did under 100% blues, under lighting with white in it. I have found running too much white light really dulls the colors of the corals after a while, I have a red acan colony which originally had lots of purple, and after living under current usa lights for a while (more of a purple than blue) it turned a dull red. Now it has been under a Chinese LED fixture I have running full blues and whites only on 10% for part of the day, and the color seems to have returned. 

But the spectrum may not be the only problem, it does look like the coral is developing a white spot, the new lights may be too bright for it in it's current position. I would try bringing it to sand bed and slowly moving it up, or leaving it in the sand if it's happy there.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions.. The white spot is from healing. About a week ago at night a snail most have knock it off the rock and when I went to the tank in the morning it was face down in the sand. Looks much better now and I'm thinking the spot should be gone in another week.  

• 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have the same problem with my godspawn. When I bought him he was so vibrant, even when the daylights were on, but now he just doesn’t seem as vibrant in the daylights. He looks the same in the blue actinic light, but just different in the daytime lighting. He still looks healthy and big, just not as vibrant