Pod Your Reef

Help ! Major algae issue

JH15KEY

I have come on here in desperation for help. I have scoured the internet to find out how to sort out my Red Sea Nano algae issue

The tank has been set up for 1 year and 4 months and the rocks have become overrun with this green and brownish red weedy algae. I have tried so much to get rid of this but it just keeps growing back

Water parameters are all good except for low KH reading around 6

Fish and corals healthy but i did have a green hammer coral that recently split in two then gradually lost colour and has now died

Photos attached

Any help much appreciated

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

I cannot help identify the algae, but I know the questions that more experienced members will ask you.

What are your exact parameters?
What fish do you have in your tank, what is your feeding schedule?

What kind of clean up crew to you have?

What is your maintenance schedule?

This will give you a head start until a more experienced reefer comes around.

It looks like bryopsis covered in cyano.  When you zoom in on the photo, some of the algae has the signature bryopsis feathery look.  Some folks have had good luck elevating their magnesium to 1400+ ppm to kill bryopsis...Kent tech M in particular.  Another option is flucanazole...which is cheap and works.

I got rid of bryopsis with dosing peroxide. 

My first steps would be to manually trim it down, increase cuc and place them directly on the algae.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your replies

Params are as follows

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrate under 5

Nitrite 0

DKH 5.2

Calc 340

PH 8.0

Phos 0

Magnesium 1140

Only have 2 small clowns which get fed once a day (pretty much hand feed them so very little food going to waste)

CUC is 2 x nassarius snails and 3 other snails trochus/conch and 3 red legged hermits

I have cut the weeds back several times but it just comes back really fast

Maintenance is water change once a week 25 - 30%

I make my own RO water and use Aquarium Systems Instant Ocean Salt

Thank you all

24 minutes ago, JH15KEY said:

Params are as follows

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrate under 5

Nitrite 0

DKH 5.2

Calc 340

PH 8.0

Phos 0

Magnesium 1140

Only have 2 small clowns which get fed once a day (pretty much hand feed them so very little food going to waste)

CUC is 2 x nassarius snails and 3 other snails trochus/conch and 3 red legged hermits

Thank you all

Your alk, ca, and mag are really low. Have you tested newly mixed sw to see what its mixing at. 

Trimming the algae allows cuc to clean it up better but will not remove it. It will be a regular routine to have to go in and manually remove it while placing cuc on it it.

More trochus and a turbo would help. Nassarius snails are sandbed cleaners, same with conch.

You could try spot peroxide treatment to help. It's always worked for me.

A concern is phosphate is also 0.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JH15KEY said:

Params are as follows

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrate under 5

Nitrite 0

DKH 5.2

Calc 340

PH 8.0

Phos 0

Magnesium 1140

Thank you all

Try this: https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&source=android-browser&q=blue+vet+flux+rx#scso=_95ikXoSDDc2k_Qbc-4iIDw46:500,_-JikXs2cNuixggfYjZPoAg1:1040

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I had bryopsis in my 18 gallon and this stuffed knocked it out in a week or two.  Probably need to up your cuc as well..  The nasssarius stay in the sand bed and don't do much for algae control.  Maybe try some astrea, nerites, a turbo, etc.  Take a look at ReefCleaners.org.  Lots of good info there and you can order cuc from them.  I've done so many times.  Really good service.  I think you can beat this with the right tools.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:52 AM, JH15KEY said:

Any help much appreciated

IMG_3157.JPG

Above all DO NOT panic.  

Not that you are.....just want to get that reassurance out there.  👍

Looks like hair algae with cyano on it.

Ugly in the subjective view of some folks.  

But both types of algae are healthy for your tank.

They are not dangerous or "bad" in any real way.

You have a simple lack of manual removal combined with a lack of herbivores in the tank.

SIMPLE.

Follow Marc Levenson's advice on this how-to video (I'll give you a summary after the link):

In essence...

Carefully hand-pluck the algae out using your fingers like a pair of tweezers.  

Then add 2-3 good herbivorous snails (eg verity, nerve, aster, trohus, turbo) to keep the newly cleaned area clean in the long term.  

If you see algae growing long within the next few weeks, repeat the procedure of manual removal and adding a small number of new herbivores.

Repeat that every few weeks until you don't see algae growing long anymore..indicating that the snails have it under control.

(Don't add too many snails or you'll end up with another problem...take it slow on each iteration.  Usually 2-4 iterations will do it, but be patient.)

You definitely don't need more scavengers (crabs, nassarius snails, etc)...and the tank might even benefit from housing fewer scavengers than you have now.  Remove the largest first if you take the numbers down at all.

Edited by mcarroll
clarity
  • Like 2

bumble bee snails helped me a ton!  They stay right on the rock and get in every crevice!  I have like 8 or 10 in my 16 gal.  I also used peroxide.  I took my rock out and scrubbed them with straight peroxide, rinsed them and put them back in my tank. (I had no coral on my rock)

Don't give up!!  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, sadie said:

bumble bee snails helped me a ton!  They stay right on the rock and get in every crevice!  I have like 8 or 10 in my 16 gal.  I also used peroxide.  I took my rock out and scrubbed them with straight peroxide, rinsed them and put them back in my tank. (I had no coral on my rock)

Bumble Bee snails are scavengers like Nassarius, not algae eaters....which may be why it seems like you need the peroxide.

You'd have way better results, if you have algae, with herbivorous snails like Turbo's, Trochus, Astreas, Nerites or Ceriths....and you could ditch the peroxide.