Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Returning to the hobby

Metal_minx

Well its been 9 years since I broke down my last tank and I have decided to take the plunge again. I have a Fluval Flex 123ltr that I'm looking to convert. I know they now offer a marine version of this tank but the marine lights that you can swap to do not appear to be strong enough to support corals. I plan on SPS and LPS so looking for ideas. I have a cat so I cant go lidless so either need to fabricate a glass or clear perspex lid and suspended lights or I was wondering if I used something like 2 x AI Primes could I cut to circular holes in the existing lid and silicone them on top so the heat can still rise from the top of the units or would they be to close to the surface of the water? Any other lighting suggestions are welcome.

Im also looking for a suitable skimmer that I can put in the rear compartment (again I can just cut a hole in the top to allow for a collection cup) so it cant be more than 8cm wide , I'm thinking maybe a Fluval Sea PS1  or a Tunze 9001 DC would be a good fit? I'm planning on removing the stock filter media, popping in a basket of chaeto and filter floss instead.

Then onto powerheads, it has a twin nozzle outlet with 770lph as standard, I like the nozzles as they are discrete and would give me the option of keeping a nem without the worry of it getting sucked into a powerhead, now thats not enough power on its own, would it work to just attach a more powerful pump like a Eheim compactON 3000 to the outlets or am I going to need more powerheads (if so suggestions please) I think thats about it.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome, Equipment options have come on a long way since I was last doing this so I have no idea whats good and whats not.

• Like 1

Welcome to NR. If my google search is right that's about 32 gallons? That size should give you some room for interesting and different livestock. I find lighting to be almost daunting there are so many options. I would think that if you have the option of suspending your light fixture that would be better than attaching to the lid. Salt creep would worry me and ease of access would frustrate me. I currently do not run a skimmer and haven't in 25 years. Hopefully some of the members more current can help you there. I just want to wish you good luck with your tank. Have you decided yet on your rock choice? Live or dry or a combo. I still like live with dry or base on the bottom to keep the expense down. Not sure if it is an option for you tank dimensions but you can't go wrong with a T5 LED hybrid fixture.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm going to use all live rock, around 14kg, Im too impatient to wait for dry rock to colour up! 

I agree with the lighting suspension it would be easier in the long run, its just working out the lid part. I have found a perspex company that makes things to order, I think I will see if they can fabricate something for me.

Im planning on using NSW so want the skimmer to help with waste removal. 

And I have been working out potential fish lists, as always its just that trick of finding things that will all hopefully get along with each other, varied in appearance and behaviour and not end up overstocked! 

• Like 2

If you want to avoid powerhead use for nems. I highly recommend upgrading pump and replacing the nozzles with rfg nozzles.

I did this in my 20g and I have plenty of flow and the rfg nozzles are awesome at providing random flow.

As for lighting, 2 ai primes would be good, not sure how to safely use them with the lid. Not sure how well silicone will hold up long term.

There are other online that have had to mod their lids for pendant lights. I'd do a search to see what other have done.

1 thing for certain is you may run into heating/gas exchange issues with the lid as the lights will be significantly closer than the common 8-12".

You may want to look into a mesh lid or acrylic lid so you can suspend the lights.

Can't help much with skimmer, I don't use skimmers.

• Like 1

wow rfg nozzles, just had to google them as thats a new thing. What a great idea! I will definitely go that round with the upgraded pump then. It will really help with giving the tank a cleaner appearance.

Interesting that neither of you run skimmers. Its never occurred to me to me to have a marine tank without one. What is your filtration methods without one?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Metal_minx said:

wow rfg nozzles, just had to google them as thats a new thing. What a great idea! I will definitely go that round with the upgraded pump then. It will really help with giving the tank a cleaner appearance.

Interesting that neither of you run skimmers. Its never occurred to me to me to have a marine tank without one. What is your filtration methods without one?

Ya, I love the rfg's. I use them on both tanks.

For my filtration

Liverock for biological filtration

Filter floss to collect particles(changed 2 times a week)

1 small bag of seachem carbon. I use 1 tbsp in my 20g and 1.5 in my 25g. I have phosguard in case of need.

Pod condo in my second chamber

1  15% waterchange every 2 weeks

Macro algae in display

• Like 2
On 4/25/2020 at 5:46 AM, Metal_minx said:

Well its been 9 years since I broke down my last tank and I have decided to take the plunge again. I have a Fluval Flex 123ltr that I'm looking to convert. I know they now offer a marine version of this tank but the marine lights that you can swap to do not appear to be strong enough to support corals. I plan on SPS and LPS so looking for ideas. I have a cat so I cant go lidless so either need to fabricate a glass or clear perspex lid and suspended lights or I was wondering if I used something like 2 x AI Primes could I cut to circular holes in the existing lid and silicone them on top so the heat can still rise from the top of the units or would they be to close to the surface of the water? Any other lighting suggestions are welcome.

Im also looking for a suitable skimmer that I can put in the rear compartment (again I can just cut a hole in the top to allow for a collection cup) so it cant be more than 8cm wide , I'm thinking maybe a Fluval Sea PS1  or a Tunze 9001 DC would be a good fit? I'm planning on removing the stock filter media, popping in a basket of chaeto and filter floss instead.

Then onto powerheads, it has a twin nozzle outlet with 770lph as standard, I like the nozzles as they are discrete and would give me the option of keeping a nem without the worry of it getting sucked into a powerhead, now thats not enough power on its own, would it work to just attach a more powerful pump like a Eheim compactON 3000 to the outlets or am I going to need more powerheads (if so suggestions please) I think thats about it.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome, Equipment options have come on a long way since I was last doing this so I have no idea whats good and whats not.

Welcome to NR and back to the hobby! 😊

I agree with the other ladies that you do not need a skimmer. You can always add one later if you really feel the need. I do not run a skimmer or any type of mechanical filtration on my tanks. 

There are many companies out there that make custom lids for tanks. You can also buy screen kits on sites like Bulk Reef Supply and others.