Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

1 hour ago, mipster said:

I was thinking the cobalt 100 or 150 W. I love a cold room when I sleep but my tank clearly doesn't lol Why would you not go above 100W? 

I aim for about 1w a litre but forgot to ask tank size. I find personally that unless I'm heating 30G+ i don't need anything larger then 100. The RSM130 I had running uses as 100w and keeps the tank at 77f

It's a 20 gallon volume and the issue here is it's the beginning of winter in Canada and I like to have my window open a crack (about an inch wide crack)  at night which makes the ambient temp in the apartment quite low. My heater can't hold up to which is why I'm considering over sizing a bit to be able to handle the cooler inside temps. And it's only going to get colder since... well.. Canada lol 

• Haha 1

Still working on the heater solution, for now I'm just keeping the windows closed while I make my choice (and wait for the sales to start lol). 

My local LFS just started their black friday sale so I've ordered the second AI prime and mounting arm and I'll go pick it up tomorrow. Yay for saving money while spending a bunch of money lol)

I also think I finally found my final fish, just have to wait for the supplier to get it in a couple weeks. I have wanted one of these for a really long time since I first saw one in Teeny's 10G. Anyone have any idea what I've been able to track down?

6 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

Yeah waiting for Black Friday for the Nero 3 hopefully it will be on sale!

Fragbox is offering 15% off all hardware, 10% off neptune.

6 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

Did you find the pink wrasse?

It looks like I did! A seller in Quebec says he's getting them in on his next shipment which arrives in 2 weeks. He's going to send me pictures when they arrive so I can confirm they are pink streaked wrasse and not some other type lol

Now I have to do some extensive research on safe QT methods for them. I know wrasses can be sensative.

Any recommendations out there Nano-reef?

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Happy early Christmas to me
  • mipster changed the title to Back in the game - The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - A*hole hermit

So I have this one hermit who just likes to hang out in a milli that I bought off a friend whose tank was in rough shape. Got a good deal hoping I could get this guy to colour back up. But I was finally fed up of the hermit sitting up there for over a week and so I took him off only to find a big ol dead spot int he exact shape of his Nassarius snail shell (which he took when he killed the previous occupant. Can the milli recover from this? He wasn't picking at it, just sitting in it.

My parameters are in check. Nitrates hover between 5-10 ppm and I've started daily dosing red sea ab+.

255849254_WhatsAppImage2020-11-23at5_26_05PM.thumb.jpeg.235f818e8d9c84021579a938e49ddd7b.jpeg

The hermit may have been about to molt, or in the process of molting. They sit still for a long time to molt. 

The coral should recover fine from the damage, yes. The rest of the colony will eventually grow back over the empty spaces. 

2 hours ago, Tired said:

The coral should recover fine from the damage, yes. The rest of the colony will eventually grow back over the empty spaces. 

1 hour ago, farkwar said:

I would frag those arms

Here is where this hobby gets complicated lol 🤣 I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days. If it progresses I'll consider fragging it but I'd rather avoid that. 

https://media.giphy.com/media/RfSW7tktUmtMQB8wzI/giphy.gif

• Like 1

ok... I have ignored it as long as I can... and I can no longer allow this horrendous travesty to continue.

Hi, my name is Mippy, and I have a cable management problem...

1995281388_WhatsAppImage2020-11-27at9_25_19PM.thumb.jpeg.d6a9dc2abe3b1e2b47dbded0770f80e3.jpeg664457722_WhatsAppImage2020-11-27at9_25.19PM(1).thumb.jpeg.f077f712790a1720aac53ac951748490.jpeg

Tomorrow I am getting a second wifi enabled power bar same as my original so I can get rid of those jankie extension plugs. And I've gotten my hands on about 100 of these cable management things with sticky backs so I can join everything together and route it. I also got sticky velcro patches to mount the power blocks and of course I have a ton of zip ties if needed too.  

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-27 at 9.25.19 PM (2).jpeg

So, community, if I don't have this taken care of by end of day Sunday, I need you all to get really really angry at me. Like, seriously, stop being my internet buddies and shame me until I do this.

Deal?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Forgive me Reef Gods for I have sinned

Ok so I know I said to not be my internet buddies if I didn't get the cable management situation handled this weekend but the powerbar and some of the other bits and pieces I needed didn't get here till just a little bit ago - I blame my lack of upholding my promise on Amazon!

BUT! It wasn't a totally unproductive weekend. On Saturday I picked up the Par meter rental I had been waiting on for a couple weeks to be available. I was concerned about my sps, most of them really didn't look good which I was extremely sure had to do with the lighting. 

With two RFGs on the returns, an mp10 on one end and an aqamai kps on the other, I was confident I had enough varied flow.

My Nitrates stay around 5-10 ppm since I traded away my sun corals and added the mini fuge to the back. I feed Red Sea AB+ daily for the corals as well as some reef roids and mysis and other stuff a couple times a weeks for the corals. Plus daily fish feeding. Do there should be plenty of nutrients for the sps to feed off to help keep them happy.

Calc, Mag and Alk are all within normal limits and stable with my doser set up with Tropic Marine All-For-Reef.

The only thing that I wasn't able to be sure of was the lighting. I had wanted to get the par meter as soon as I had gotten the second AI prime but this one guy just wasn't returning it when he said he was going to. Very annoying since all my arcos tissue was looking thin and on the milli that the carb pissed off, it died very quickly, even the pieces I tried fragging off to save.

So today, during the peak hours for my light cycle I got out the meter and wow was I surprised!

At the top of the SPS rock on the left which is directly under a prime, I was making out the par readings at 175ish. No wonder they weren't happy, especially since the guy I got the acros from had the top of his tank running around the 450 mark. 

So I've tweaked the settings on the left side, left the right where it was cause everything was happy over there and the ranges were good for what's growing over there. I had to lower the lights actually (they were a little over a foot above the tank during the initial measurements) to be able to get things to the levels I wanted. I could have left them higher if I was happy with a really white look but I still wanted it blue enough for the corals to pop.

I now have them on a one month acclimation mode to slowly get things where they should be so I don't shock the system. I also put an acclimation mode on the right side as well since even though I didn't change the settings, by lowering the light unit, I did change the par values a bit so we'll let that side slowly adjust too.

All in all I'm very happy with getting this all sorted out and knowing where things stand. I'll be watching very closely over the next month(not that I don't stare at this tank intensely on a daily basis lol)  to make sure everyone's adjusting well.

And because I have zero self control and the guy I rented the par meter always always has amazing stuff, I got a couple more corals.... I know, I know. 

First was a frag with 3 different zoas on it. I don't have a good close up shot but look at how nice zoa rock is looking!

1196566822_WhatsAppImage2020-11-29at8_39_37PM.thumb.jpeg.fbb6302093dd975238a3bf8c1e2bf3ae.jpeg

And then I got a final piece for Euphylia rock. This octospawn is stunning with yellow tips. It's the perfect finishing piece for that spot.

1984803111_WhatsAppImage2020-11-29at8_42_11PM.thumb.jpeg.c9498109906a7f6d153d920c2f2d296f.jpeg

• Like 1

Those rastas were some of my first corals in here actually. Started with 1 polyp in June I believe was when I got it. They are doing very well but I'm going to have to trim back some dragon eyes to make more room for them. Those dragon eye zoas spread faster then Covid.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, mipster said:

You know, this lack of trust from you is really concerning. I'm really worried about the effect this will have on our cyber friendship.

Hahahaha you must have deleted the pictures by mistake eh? 

just a little reminder though...

On 11/27/2020 at 9:44 PM, mipster said:

So, community, if I don't have this taken care of by end of day Sunday, I need you all to get really really angry at me. Like, seriously, stop being my internet buddies and shame me until I do this.

Deal?

I’m not angry... I’m just... DISAPOINTED 😂

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Meet Hector