Innovative Marine Aquariums

8 hours ago, Crys said:

Anyone know of any other online stores in Canada other than Frag Box or Canada Corals?

Check out this guy. His name is Thang, he runs this all out of his basement. I've bought from him and met him multiple times now, terrific quality corals, good prices: https://gtareef.ca/.

You can also check out Candy Corals. Great selection of fish and inverts as well as awesome corals. This is where I got Audrey.

https://candycorals.ca/

8 hours ago, Crys said:

I have an Evo as well with a springer and two clowns and it has never been a problem.

How long have you had them all together and what order did you add them to the tank? Clowns or springeri first?

9 hours ago, FreshwaterFishMan said:

Beautiful!! You have been very very bad this weekend

Ohhhhh ya... But worth it, I'm so in love, it's crazy.

I have been a bit remiss of my daily testing promise, I do apologize!

So I did a 4 gallon water change yesterday. Nitrates are sitting at 5ppm today.

An interesting observations, the edges of the ulva are starting to go clear and loosing the green colour. I've also noticed the pods are hanging out on the ulva more then I previously noticed. Do the pods nom on algae? Is the vibrant breaking it down making it easier for them to chow down? It's pretty cool to see this so soon. I wasn't expecting to see the Vibrant effecting the Ulva for a few weeks to be honest. I'm debating with myself on if I want to do another dose tomorrow or wait for the two week mark as I originally planned.

Here are a couple pictures. It's hard to see, I do apologize! My cell camera is shit lol

638684163_WhatsAppImage2020-08-12at2_21_44PM.thumb.jpeg.66718e6ae6fb40e97d538f02679ac712.jpeg

472895500_WhatsAppImage2020-08-12at2_21.44PM(1).thumb.jpeg.9ccb7efd3891df8368e4b3c32e2426d8.jpeg

A friend of mine stumbled across a thread on reddit about a guy creating things for nano and pico tanks with is 3D printer and one of them is a itty bitty algae reactor which I am SO curious about... LOOK AT HOW CUTE THESE ARE! Whether it is effective, or worth it, no clue lol The guy hasn't started selling and is in final testing but it could be worth trying at that price, even if those are American dollars lol.

https://makerofthingsdesign.com/printed-aqua

2137407453_Picosystemposter.thumb.jpg.07b6dcc677b89cdb15b07aed5ac2969a.jpg

So Nitrates are still holding steady at 5ppm even with my heavy feeding. I did end up deciding on doing the next dose of Vibrant after 1 week instead of waiting for 2 like originally planned. I see more bits of the ulva going clear and then disappearing but there is still plenty to go! But I know it's going to take probably a couple months for Vibrant to do its thing.

I noticed Audrey was looking really pulled in so I was worried she was getting too much light. I'd also been noticing over the past couple weeks since the acclimation mode on my Prime had ended that most SPS (other then my Stellata) weren't opening as much.

I decided to lower my blues and UV from 125% down to 90 % and to rent a Par meter to see what I was actually working with.

Before getting the par meter, the instant observations are Audrey is MUCH happier in her new spot in the front right corner. She's all relaxed and smushy now.

2085926957_WhatsAppImage2020-08-15at2_28_32PM.thumb.jpeg.ab3bae1034b53d932f594f4e14266ac2.jpeg

I got the par meter today and boy am I glad I turned things down, I just wish I had thought to do this sooner but I was basing my settings off someone else with a fluval and a prime and just figured, "hey! works for them!". Just goes to show how highly personal our tanks can be, even with the same equipment.

I highly recommend you rent a par meter if you are able to. Canadians in the Toronto area, Fragbox does a 2 day rental for $30. Totally worth it to know what I'm actually working with. Things are now properly tuned for my tank and scape and the corals I select.

I also got an addition for my tank! but they will be hanging out in QT for the next 6 weeks. Aren't they cute! Any name suggestions?

I'm going to let them have a couple days and then I'll start doing QT with Copper Power. I've been doing a lot of reading and I feel pretty confident that I know what to do. I need to get it to 1 ppm, wait a couple days, then up to 2 ppm and then to the final 2.5 ppm which copper power says is the medication levels necessary. As soon as I hit 2.5 ppm, the 30 day countdown starts. I need to be sure to take time to monitor behaviour, make sure they are handling the copper alright and nothing else is springing up. I admit, I'm nervous about screwing this up but after what happened last time, I think it has to be done.

• Like 2
  • mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - QT Time for the new babies
2 hours ago, mipster said:

So Nitrates are still holding steady at 5ppm even with my heavy feeding. I did end up deciding on doing the next dose of Vibrant after 1 week instead of waiting for 2 like originally planned. I see more bits of the ulva going clear and then disappearing but there is still plenty to go! But I know it's going to take probably a couple months for Vibrant to do its thing.

I noticed Audrey was looking really pulled in so I was worried she was getting too much light. I'd also been noticing over the past couple weeks since the acclimation mode on my Prime had ended that most SPS (other then my Stellata) weren't opening as much.

I decided to lower my blues and UV from 125% down to 90 % and to rent a Par meter to see what I was actually working with.

Before getting the par meter, the instant observations are Audrey is MUCH happier in her new spot in the front right corner. She's all relaxed and smushy now.

2085926957_WhatsAppImage2020-08-15at2_28_32PM.thumb.jpeg.ab3bae1034b53d932f594f4e14266ac2.jpeg

I got the par meter today and boy am I glad I turned things down, I just wish I had thought to do this sooner but I was basing my settings off someone else with a fluval and a prime and just figured, "hey! works for them!". Just goes to show how highly personal our tanks can be, even with the same equipment.

I highly recommend you rent a par meter if you are able to. Canadians in the Toronto area, Fragbox does a 2 day rental for $30. Totally worth it to know what I'm actually working with. Things are now properly tuned for my tank and scape and the corals I select.

I also got an addition for my tank! but they will be hanging out in QT for the next 6 weeks. Aren't they cute! Any name suggestions?

I'm going to let them have a couple days and then I'll start doing QT with Copper Power. I've been doing a lot of reading and I feel pretty confident that I know what to do. I need to get it to 1 ppm, wait a couple days, then up to 2 ppm and then to the final 2.5 ppm which copper power says is the medication levels necessary. As soon as I hit 2.5 ppm, the 30 day countdown starts. I need to be sure to take time to monitor behaviour, make sure they are handling the copper alright and nothing else is springing up. I admit, I'm nervous about screwing this up but after what happened last time, I think it has to be done.

Wonderful! Looks like they have much to much flow though, the y seem to be struggling to swim in that fast if a currency, and It doesn’t look like there will be much watt I get out of the current, mabye try to turn the current down if possible?

9 minutes ago, FreshwaterFishMan said:

Looks like they have much to much flow though

Thanks for the tip! I've slowed down the hang on back filter. They are so cute! I need to sort out names stat. They deserve good names.

1 hour ago, mipster said:

Thanks for the tip! I've slowed down the hang on back filter. They are so cute! I need to sort out names stat. They deserve good names.

np 🙂 and I bet the fishies will say thanks 🙂

4 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

What type are they?

These are Snowflake Clowns. Always been one of my favourite designer morphs. Still plenty of the lovely orange colour. I'm not a fan of types where you can't really see any orange.

I did some more shopping yesterday. I've given up the mint pavnova dream partially because it's hard to find and partially because the left side of the tank was significantly lacking in movement so I added a little something something to the spot I was saving. My friend gave me a lovely piece of pink octospawn, a piece of rainbow monti, and two different zoas. I also picked up a piece of grafted Monti cap. I know I said I wasn't going to add one because my tank was so small and they grow so fast but I have a perfect spot for them. They can grow out and shade the sun coral that is currently sitting under it on the sand bed. Yes, I will have to learn to frag and get over my general fear of it (watching my friend take a dremel to the octospawn caused my stomach to drop lol), but with such a small tank, I would have to get there eventually anyways lol

I also got my hands on some Red Sea AB+. A friend recommended it so I thought I'd give a little bit a try. One very exciting result has been my Sun coral opened up maybe 30 minutes after I dosed the tank at 4:30 pm yesterday. Recently, it had been opening later and later until recently I was staying up till 1 am just to make sure I could feed it every day! If that wasn't love, I don't know what is lol But I dosed again this afternoon and sure enough, it's starting to open up for the day. Whatever is in there, the sun corals are very excited about it. Worth the buy just for that I think, let alone all the other positives I'm hoping for.

Things are coming along quite nicely I think. I had to banish one hermit to the back for constantly trying to pick at a pissed of forest fire digi and I might have to banish a scarlet hermit too. It seems to be bugging my teal birdsnest these days and that won't do! Just after taking the below video, I had to move him from where he got stuck between the rocks and the birdsnest and ended up detaching the plug from the rock. It's now just hanging out on the sand bed until I have a moment to reglue it along with the grafted monti that needs to be secured to its new home. You might notice two frags of the grafted monti - one is for a friend though so it's just a temp resident.

Snowflake eh! Maybe some winter or snow related names ? Ullr (snow god) yunika (snow princess) kind of unusual names though 

nevada (means ice capped) and Alaska, and they both states with mountains... 

Or just mr and mrs freeze, like The icicle

haha that’s my take! 

So everything was trucking along but I noticed my Stellatta was closed up more then normal for a couple days. I was sure was it too much flow, not enough, too much light or not enough... no clue.

I woke up yesterday morning to this.... I snipped off the dead part to try to save the rest. Today I wake up and the rest is gone. 

1525342016_WhatsAppImage2020-08-21at11_59_21PM.thumb.jpeg.19ea3b8e69b4e98dab95e3b47db292ad.jpeg

I was doing reading and there are a lot of different causes for RTN so maybe I will never know exactly what caused it. This is why I will not be going anywhere near expensive sticks lol I will stay with my nice affordable sticks since SPS seem to enjoy going POOF!

I also went ahead and got that pico algae reactor. At the price, it seems worth the shot. It will be very interesting to see how it goes. It's not shipping till September but I will keep you posted on installation and how it works.

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - white lump ID please!

phew have things been busy! Things are still trucking along. My SPS have not been doing great, the RTM has been continuing so I'm not trying those again for a while to let things settle.

Things are still puttering away with the Vibrant dosing once a week. My nutrients are still higher than I would prefer, I have that pico algae reactor I showed you guys coming. They should be shipping out soon so I'll keep you posted. That should help things since my Darling sun corals a temper-mental gluttons.

I've got my clowns and a royal gramma QTing away. Got the copper power level up to therapeutic today so the 30 day count is on.

I was spending time watching everyone and noticed this white thing one the head of who will eventually be the female clown I think. I'm not sure what it is and am worried that even if we figure out what it is, I won't be able to do anything for it.... Can someone help with ID? I'm sorry for the poor photo but you try asking a clown to hold still for a second for a photos!

Maybe @Humblefish can lend some expertise? She's active, eating well, no concerning behaviour, no heavy breathing.

480123951_WhatsAppImage2020-08-31at10_21_44PM.thumb.jpeg.eab83de41f6f4d790fd9e8a5a7ff6e55.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

@mipster Might want to dose Metroplex + Kanaplex together a few times just in case that is Brook or a bacterial infection. Every 48 hours for up to 10 days, can safely combine both with copper.

Canadian, can't get them. 

@Humblefish A local reefer who runs a business selling QTed fish suggested that I put polysporin on it twice a day. Says he's done it on hundreds of fish over the years to great success, that it looks like a little bacterial infection. Is that crazy? Is he full of it? I've never seen anyone recommending anything like that before.

The bump looks like a white head pimple in person if that helps with ID.

• Like 1

Well, that's a topical antibiotic, so... I guess I've heard worse ideas. But I doubt it would stay on very long, and I really don't recommend catching a fish twice a day to apply ointment to it. Clean water, good food, and low stress are probably better ways to deal with it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mipster said:

@Humblefish A local reefer who runs a business selling QTed fish suggested that I put polysporin on it twice a day. Says he's done it on hundreds of fish over the years to great success, that it looks like a little bacterial infection. Is that crazy? Is he full of it? I've never seen anyone recommending anything like that before.

The bump looks like a white head pimple in person if that helps with ID.

Not crazy at all. There is actually a topical antibiotic ointment called "Bio-Bandage" which contains Neonmycin: http://www.hikariusa.com/wp/solutions/healthaid/bio-bandage/

Which is the same active ingredient found in Neosporin.

I'm sure it'll work to some extent, I just worry that catching a fish to put ointment on it will do more harm than good, and that the ointment wouldn't stay on long enough to be worth the stress. Maybe if it was a goldfish- they come to the top for food, easily, so it'd be easy enough to just pop some ointment on a swab and get it on them. 

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - puttering along

So I've just been leaving my clown's lump alone and watching closely. I haven't seen any spread, no change in behaviour, same voracious appetite.

Today marks the end of the 72 fallow period on the display tank so now it's just a question of finishing the copper QT on my clowns and the royal gramma. October 1st, I can take the copper out of the water then it will be a further 2 weeks observation to make sure everything is ok and then they can go into the display and finally I will have fish flitting around in my little piece of the ocean!

I got confirmation that my Pico algae reactor is going to be shipping out on Friday! I've got all the pipes and fittings to get it set up... I think lol Speaking as someone who has never done any sort of plumbing, this will certainly be an interesting adventure for me to get it plumbed in but I'm excited to try it out and see how it goes. 

Most of my corals are doing really well! I haven't added any new SPS to replace the ones I lost. I want to get the pico reactor set up to help manage my nutrients and get them down before I start adding the SPS again. I do still have a grafted monti cap and an encrusting monti that are doing alright so I'm not too worried about them yet. The teal birds nest is also still holding on so we'll see if I can help it along to recover. That would certainly be ideal! Loosing corals, even inexpensive ones is painful.

Audrey is looking spectacular as usual! I do love my little mush lol. She's the only coral I've named but she deserved a name.

749341744_WhatsAppImage2020-09-08at8_29_59PM.thumb.jpeg.08fc7f38e34bd8b069b16c0836f17ed5.jpeg

My sun coral is starting to open for breakfast! I best see it gets what it wants, I am its ever devoted servant lol

26635028_WhatsAppImage2020-09-08at8_35_10PM.thumb.jpeg.cf1570792c6a7cb1ad6cab288ac9f73c.jpeg

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - WTF is on my acan?

Hey all, Sorry I've been MIA! You know how work can get to you sometimes. But I've been loving working from home, having my tank right by me every day.

For the most part, things are going really really well. My hermits are murders and killed most of my snails so I need to do some shopping but I've also seen some baby snails around which has been adorable lol. One likes to ride the inside blade of my Tunze scraper.

I've also shifted my wave maker from the back left panel to the left side panel near the front. Audrey the Acantho seems much happier with this as do my duncans and my sps so it seems like the right move.

I'm still struggling to keep nutrients in check with how often it is necessary to feed my Sunnies. I just got notification that the pico algae reactor I ordered is on the way so that will be very exciting when it gets here!

I noticed these things on the polyp of one of my Acans when I was feeding the tank and I've never seen them before. Anyone know what's going on?

456993638_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at11_05_39AM.thumb.jpeg.dee8b73f2691a1378d68c8629e6caa20.jpeg879920690_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at11_05.39AM(1).thumb.jpeg.45f39745ebbbb6840b8e629e4ce8193e.jpeg1750625355_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at11_05.39AM(2).thumb.jpeg.90db719f0f79cba3fd6d437b33f67094.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tired said:

Do the bits move, or seem attached? If they move, they look like flatworms. 

I blew water on them, they are 100 attached, seems like part of the acan? They contracted when I blew the water on them. Someone on my local group suggested mesenterial filaments. 

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Meet Hector