Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fair enough, yep I have been thinking about using all 3 sides of the tank and having it more like a peninsula! 

4 minutes ago, TerraIncognita said:

How do you have your back chambers set up right now? Anywhere to buy a back chamber media basket?

FragBox in Canada sells the intank baskets 

I just made some baskets for chamber 1 and 2 out of eggcrate 

1 minute ago, TerraIncognita said:

How do you have your back chambers set up right now? Anywhere to buy a back chamber media basket?

Currently I have the inTank media basket for chamber 1. In that rack I have filter floss up top, chemipure blue in the middle and marine pure gems in the bottom chamber. My local LFS carries certain inTank products so I was able to buy it locally.

Chamber 2 I have the heater and the bracket from my AI Prime.

Chamber 3 I have the return pump and the ATO.

That's all I've got going and if I wasn't feeding as heavily as I am for my Sunny, I would say I wouldn't need anything more. I used to struggle to keep nutrients in the tank with just the above lol It's why I got Dinos, my nutrients were totally bottomed out.

1 minute ago, Ash1176 said:

I just made some baskets for chamber 1 and 2 out of eggcrate 

I didn't trust myself not to make something crappy lol 

2 hours ago, TerraIncognita said:

Scientifically based on what you’re saying by a good water change schedule mixed in you’d then be removing nutrients from the dead dinos slowing down the Cyno.

also vibrant claims to handle ALL algae so I still don’t understand how or why it would make it worse.

i think people are altering something different than it have some components that the original vibrant creators don’t use or have.

someone mentioned something about activated carbon.

there seems to be maybe some other components that could cause Bibrant to produce other effects.

id try to mimick the creators as closely as possible.

Cyano isn't an algae... dino being an algae is debatable as they are built a little different than typical algae. 

Micro algae and such are beneficial.. so if vibrant kills ALL then it kills beneficial stuff too. Remove the algae completely and other forms will find room to grow....in this case cyano and dino (since they are not algae). Simple.

It has nothing to do with what someone did wrong from the creator.

Yeah, you don't want to kill off all the algae in your tank, unless you intend to never add anything else again. Because you will introduce other algae to the tank when you add new things from other tanks, in the form of spores if not outright growing on something you've added. Without competition, any pest algaes you reintroduce will go wild. Plus, cyano is cyanobacteria. It acts a lot like an algae for most of our purposes, but is not. Part of the reason cyano isn't all over the place in established tanks is simply because the real algaes outcompete it. 

3 hours ago, Tired said:

unless you intend to never add anything else again. Because you will introduce other algae to the tank

It's true, you will at some point add something new. I figure it's like people who quarantine their fish to keep parasites out of their tanks but they don't quarantine every single wet thing that goes into the tank. My tank is currently at fallow because of ich and I have a little quarantine system cycling but I won't be able to quarantine all my corals going in. It's just a reality I will have to accept that something could happen and just do my best to tackle it when/if it comes. 

I'm hoping I'll be lucky after so many challenges so early on in this tank lol That's how this works right? Power of positive thinking! 

And I am almost done adding corals actually (barring any potential deaths but I'm going to live in the state of delusion and pretend like I'll never loose a corals :haha: ). I think I have 2 or 3 final show pieces I want to add and then just let it grow and mature. I don't want to stuff this little tank so full of little frags that then never have the room to grow and become beautiful colonies.

I really appreciate so much feedback and all the different points of view. It's very interesting hear different opinions, doing more research based on people's comments, it's how you learn and is a huge part of what makes this hobby so interesting.

I am going to continue doing some more reading, getting more information and make a final decision. But currently, I am still really curious about giving it a try, seeing if based on all this information, I can adjust my plan and come out at the end without any of the common side effect. I love experiments, I've always been drawn to that sort of learning. It might be my down fall :wacko: . But we will all be able to learn from it if I go down that route!

• Like 2
TerraIncognita
12 minutes ago, mipster said:

Hmmmm where have you been hiding cute little yellow zoa? I didn't see you there when I bought this piece! Isn't that fun!

190989884_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at1_28_51PM.thumb.jpeg.2daa12ed16fcb590361388ef9dfd5e35.jpeg

Hitch hikers are the best.

got a paly on this blasto. large.021E800B-D32D-4624-969B-A746BD193568.jpeg.7995fb96ba908a9eff1888f39bdb3217.jpeg

Here are some close up shots of the ulva I have coming in so we can have a little before and after action going on if I go the Vibrant route. I swear there is way more then there was yesterday even! This stuff grows like a weed and no one has bred micro tangs for nanos yet lol

1487362755_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at4_02_25PM.thumb.jpeg.8391244b930d299b76de1476d3bf889f.jpeg1415797849_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at4_02.25PM(1).thumb.jpeg.db685dcf81de21305612a8bbe696f0d0.jpeg377822422_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at4_02.25PM(2).thumb.jpeg.108a5212f1b0cdc4f4b2c76859f519dc.jpeg45458456_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at4_02.25PM(3).thumb.jpeg.d68d931bd55b51010580844f0b28f6fd.jpeg1075520266_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at4_02.25PM(4).thumb.jpeg.7591cc6ab3a4ed8b2b0b4298c8045583.jpeg1554572380_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at4_02.25PM(5).thumb.jpeg.7521dbf1aba732954112f5eebba5ab5d.jpeg

Look at the little squishy coming in! so cute

1811336049_WhatsAppImage2020-08-06at4_02_24PM.thumb.jpeg.06ca01cb077cf2a6c2d3728521a76dbf.jpeg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

you got this!

giphy.gif

I think I have an idea on a fish I want to add as the third fish after the pair of clowns I will get first... thoughts on this cutie? This is a Springeri Damsel. All of my reading as described this little guy as not a super aggressive guy (and a pair of clowns added first should be able to hold their own). I saw one in the Evo at Fragbox and he was just too cute!

lg_80388_Blue_Sapphire_Damselfish.jpg.b716482e12f1e071cc45a90d410bbeae.jpg

He's adorable, but I'd do a little looking into if other people have tried it. Clowns are damsels too, and 3 damsels in a 14gal seems like it could be stressful for all involved. It might depend somewhat on rockscape, hiding places, where the clowns set up their territory, and individual personality of the different fish. 

1 minute ago, Tired said:

I'd do a little looking into if other people have tried it.

The local LSF where I first saw one in person, they had a single clown, the springeri, neon dottyback, and I feel like there was one other lil guy.... but now my memory is fuzzy so I could be making that up!

I 100% need to do more reading and research and I hope other people will pipe up here with their thoughts. I am still waiting at least 2-3 more weeks before I buy fish and start quarantining them so not a rush!

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - Let's see how this goes

Ok, after talking to people I trust and doing more reading, I've decided to try vibrant.

I will be dosing 1 ml every 2 weeks.

I will be daily testing nitrates to see what they do and I will make sure to document water changes.

Nitrates today are between 5 and 10 with a red sea test so I'm going to call it an 8.

Dosed the 1 ml. Here we go people!

giphy.gif

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ash1176 said:

But did you get your lab coat out?

Well..... I was wearing my robe and pjs sooo.... that's close to a lab coat right?

19 minutes ago, mipster said:

Well..... I was wearing my robe and pjs sooo.... that's close to a lab coat right?

Lab working from home right 

TerraIncognita
2 hours ago, mipster said:

Ok, after talking to people I trust and doing more reading, I've decided to try vibrant.

I will be dosing 1 ml every 2 weeks.

I will be daily testing nitrates to see what they do and I will make sure to document water changes.

Nitrates today are between 5 and 10 with a red sea test so I'm going to call it an 8.

Dosed the 1 ml. Here we go people!

giphy.gif

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Hello! Nice project you have there.

I have the same setup with 1 pair of clown. I would advise against adding any other fish to it at least that is for me. My female clown has killed any other fish that I have added with the exception of my Pistol shrimp and his Goby which they paired pretty nicely with the clowns. Even the female is gentle with the goby.

Just now, f1PaceCar said:

Hello! Nice project you have there.

I have the same setup with 1 pair of clown. I would advise against adding any other fish to it at least that is for me. My female clown has killed any other fish that I have added with the exception of my Pistol shrimp and his Goby which they paired pretty nicely with the clowns. Even the female is gentle with the goby.

Thanks! I'm enjoying it for sure.

In regards to adding fish, I think there is a huge factor of what order you add them and the size they are when you add them.

Before Ich killed my darling babies, I had added a neon goby first thinking for sure the clowns would be more aggressive and I needed to let the goby establish himself. Then I added a pair of 1 inch Picassos and the goby harassed the heck out of the clowns for a good few days! I used to sit right in front of the tank policing him because he never did it if I was by the tank, little bugger lol But they all settled in and the neon goby would clean the clowns and they were all fine together. I've heard of clowns being an issue as they are often the first fish added, especially in larger systems where they would be some of the smaller fish in there and needed the chance to claim their space.

It will largely depend on what I decide I want for fish before I can make a final plan.

I did miraculously get my hands on copper so this time, everyone is getting a proper quarantine. I now have to spend the next month meticulously researching how to do this properly. Thank god for Humblefish lol

So it's been 1 day since I dosed vibrant.

It hasn't effected the ulva yet, which was to be expected of course! But I do find that there isn't any algae on the glass that was there yesterday and on the rocks there was this really short green algae on the rocks where there was no coraline and I noticed that it's not as green as it was yesterday which is interesting. 

I also tested nitrates. They are a solid 5ppm. Exact colour match as far as my eye can tell.

• Like 1

Tank's looking good, trucking along. I test Nitrates again - looks like it's around an 8. I'm going to prep some water for a water change tomorrow morning.

So.... I did a thing....  :haha:

1969491585_WhatsAppImage2020-08-09at4_15_31PM.thumb.jpeg.a639062faf65d0056bec44810e8568a4.jpeg

1333823618_WhatsAppImage2020-08-09at4_15.31PM(1).thumb.jpeg.70f29fe1c88c686cae837debfae9f071.jpeg

• Like 2
  • mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - I was very bad this weekend...

She now has a name!

Meet Audrey, after the plant in Little Shop of Horrors, because she is just begging to be fed! She almost ate a snail that got a little too close lol

1899417199_WhatsAppImage2020-08-09at10_40.30PM(1).thumb.jpeg.b7f48f35bf18117406a6ffca5ec1a89b.jpeg

1861316125_WhatsAppImage2020-08-09at10_40_29PM.thumb.jpeg.19ca7df6008161f7d262b9584cb405bb.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mipster said:

Tank's looking good, trucking along. I test Nitrates again - looks like it's around an 8. I'm going to prep some water for a water change tomorrow morning.

So.... I did a thing....  :haha:

1969491585_WhatsAppImage2020-08-09at4_15_31PM.thumb.jpeg.a639062faf65d0056bec44810e8568a4.jpeg

1333823618_WhatsAppImage2020-08-09at4_15.31PM(1).thumb.jpeg.70f29fe1c88c686cae837debfae9f071.jpeg

Beautiful!! You have been very very bad this weekend 🤫

Hi I have an Evo as well with a springer and two clowns and it has never been a problem. They have their own hang outs and leave each other alone. Once in a while if a clown infringes on the springer she turns around and whaps them in the face with her tail. Pretty funny actually. I'm from Canada as well and find I'm very envious of the livestock you can get in the U.S.   Anyone know of any other online stores in Canada other than Frag Box or Canada Corals?

Enjoy the springer, they look beautiful under the blue light and get rid of flat worms, a double bonus.

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Meet Hector