Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

I might be doing a bad thing.... or awesome... depends on your perspective.... I'll keep you posted as things progress. Can anyone guess what I might be up to?

• Like 1

My friend is a horrible enabler and I have a serious love/hate relationship with that! Let's just say.... I'm going to have to change the title of this build thread soon.... 

omgomgomg

• Haha 2
  • mipster changed the title to Back in the game - The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef
Just now, Tired said:

I'll say they escalated. Everything evaporated.

ahahaha nooooot quite. The upgrade fairy paid me a little visit. Now, it's a baby upgrade but I'm still very excited.

• Like 1

Not a peninsula but the classic IM20. A friend found a guy leaving the hobby who was selling a ton of really good stuff in pristine condition (literally, we weren't sure if he had ever even used any of it and there was a ton of additives and food that wasn't even opened). The tank was too good a deal to pass up and fits perfectly. I still need to finish the scape and gluing down the frags that got knocked off during the transfer.

I was SO not planning an upgrade but I would have been stupid to miss out on this puppy. My friend literally bought everything from this guy and then I bought what I wanted. The tank came with a Maxspect razor as well but I think I want to sell that... maybe. I'll have to see.

I was also almost a card carrying member of the Vortec MP10 club but I can't get it going. My friend is going to see if I'm just being an idiot or if it actually doesn't work  and get a refund if it doesn't lol

After the horrific failure that was the pico algae reactor, the timing of this was helpful. I ordered a fuge light that I can attach to the back of the tank and turn one of the media racks that came with the tank into a little refugium area. The back already had that area cut away so I think the previous owner must have done the same thing.

I ordered more sand and a new lid kit and now need to sell my Evo. I also want to get the RFG for this tank to replace the flare nozzles.

The big filtration area is such a luxury after the evo. I feel spoiled for space lol 

215057194_WhatsAppImage2020-10-16at9_33_16AM.thumb.jpeg.00808d106c16c0a2854a69f38de2091f.jpeg

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

Congrats on the new tank!!!

I swore I wouldn't do this till the evo was a year old... I have no self control.... 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

Hahahahahaha

ive been thinking of so many upgrades!!!

It's hard not to with the Evo. It's a great little tank but the little part is hard for us reefers lol

There is part of me that wants to keep it and turn it into a clown and bubble tip only tank lol  But I seriously have no where for that lol 

• Like 2

My pusher enabler friend is trying to get me on the Radion band wagon lol He's 100% one of those diehard brand loyalty types 😛 but the better spread of the XR30 would be nice... but do I actually need it? probably not lol

I'm starting to hate that guy 😛

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mipster said:

There is part of me that wants to keep it and turn it into a clown and bubble tip only tank

Yessss do that! I’m sure you find a spot !!! Bunch of bta’s and 2 clowns!!!

honestly you’re fine with the prime, it covers 24”x24”

but your gonna need to light up the nem tank hahaha maybe a kessil a80 will be good for the Evo as nem tank, get that kessil shimmer over the nems 👌

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ash1176 said:

Yessss do that! I’m sure you find a spot !!! Bunch of bta’s and 2 clowns!!!

honestly you’re fine with the prime, it covers 24”x24”

but your gonna need to light up the nem tank hahaha maybe a kessil a80 will be good for the Evo as nem tank, get that kessil shimmer over the nems 👌

It is tempting but I legit live in a 359 SF apartment. Space is at a premium lol

I have the opportunity to get the radion, tank mount, defuse cover and a used apex junior,  with 2 EB 5, a pm1 module (for ph/orp probes) and a pm2 module (salinity and temp?) and a display for $1000 CAD... I am highly tempted.... 😰 

OK talked myself off the ledge lol I think if I want better spread, a better choice would be a second prime so I could set the two sides differently for the sps on one side and the LPS on the other. 

But I'm not going to rush out and do that today. I'll let things settle in first. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mipster said:

OK talked myself off the ledge lol I think if I want better spread, a better choice would be a second prime so I could set the two sides differently for the sps on one side and the LPS on the other. 

But I'm not going to rush out and do that today. I'll let things settle in first. 

Hahahaha that is a good deal, but it’s defo overkill for that tank!

spend that money on coral! Candy coral has dragon soul torches on sale right now!!! Like crazy discount! 
i Was going to get one but then I saw the Rasta torch...soI got that, and a yellow watchman goby, sadly my blenny didn’t make it 😞 so sterilizing The QT today and it will be up and running for when the ywg gets here 

On 10/17/2020 at 10:20 PM, Ash1176 said:

Candy coral has dragon soul torches on sale right now!!! Like crazy discount! 

I think I'm going to stay away from torches. I already have a few frogspawn in there and even with the extra space, I don't really have a good spot for a torch where it wouldn't be able to sting the crap out of everything around it lol I do want to get my hands on a hulk frogspawn though (green tentacles, purple tips) to round out my little frogspawn spot.

All my corals are settling back in after the jarring move but I have a few that I need to glue in place after they had been knocked around. Audrey in particular seems happy with the extra space! She fluffs right up and begs for food every morning, it's so pretty. I love not seeing the side filter compartment the way I was with the Evo, the IM 20 is just so sleek. 

I think I will definitely be wanting that second AI prime cause I can't raise the light any higher with the mounting arm and I want better spread. I notice some shadowing that I would like to correct. They always pop up for sale used here in Toronto so I'll just keep my eye open and hop on a deal with I find one.

I'll do a nice big photo dump when I get all the corals glued back on. 

• Like 3
On 10/16/2020 at 9:52 AM, mipster said:

I was also almost a card carrying member of the Vortec MP10 club but I can't get it going. My friend is going to see if I'm just being an idiot or if it actually doesn't work  and get a refund if it doesn't lol

So apparently I'm an idiot, my friend got the mp10 working just fine.... I have no clue what I was doing wrong but I'm making him come and set it up for me cause clearly, I'm dumb lol

• Haha 1

Sooo I was a little worried about my Nitrates being at zero so I may have gone a lil heavy on the feeding and swung too far to 10 ppm 🤦‍♀️ But last time I hit zero I got dinos and I really didn't want that again!

Luckily I have the refugium light set up with chaeto growing and Brightwell Purit does a scary good job so It shouldn't be an issue for long lol Just need to find that sweet spot.

10ppm is a good number to have your nitrates at. Some people run 20 or higher. For the average tank, nitrates anywhere under 20 and over 5 should be fine. You also need phosphates over 0.03ppm,. 

There was a semi-recent trend of trying to run your system with ultra-low nutrients, to try and get the best possible color out of SPS. It can work, but is very tricky to balance, and not even required for good color. Some tanks run just fine with 3-5 nitrates, but many corals (mostly softies) like the nitrates higher, and slightly higher nitrates give you a bit more wiggle room. 10 is perfectly fine. 

It's funny how much this has changed from when I first tried having a tank and was doing research and everyone was saying you had to have 0 nitrates and 0 phos and anything above that was a detriment to your tank etc etc.

Just goes to show how we are constantly learning in the hobby, it's part of what makes it so fun.

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Meet Hector