Coral Vue Hydros

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - Natural Light Photos

Around this time each day lately, The sun has been filtering through the branches of the large maple tree that typically block the majority of the direct light from getting into my little shoe box apartment. I absolutely love it, even though it's a very brief time as the sun sets behind the other nearby building.

There is also a shot of Audrey, look how nice and smushy she's looking, clearly much happier with the new pump placement.

1151711162_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at4_26_49PM.thumb.jpeg.0454d698f495d9ee950598957d52ca43.jpeg

1416711487_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at4_25_21PM.thumb.jpeg.484d3cef9fa30de24781937cbb0a732d.jpeg

727073522_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at4_20_08PM.thumb.jpeg.ba571d6fdb8408e8a0c21079254fc3a7.jpeg

1243424471_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at4_20.08PM(1).thumb.jpeg.e74cbcb96e0c38bccde753ab537ff41f.jpeg

1155381129_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at4_20.08PM(2).thumb.jpeg.382d3d850f452a3bcda5d68d2488dd09.jpeg

1115627046_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at4_20.08PM(3).thumb.jpeg.4053806e9d9f2bc9fb1cb7551af4fcee.jpeg

1401723515_WhatsAppImage2020-09-27at4_20.08PM(4).thumb.jpeg.bcaae2bf9eeac9bf560e0142330e43f9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

hows Your clownfish doing? 

Great! All 3 fish in QT are happy, eating and active. The one that had the white pimple looking thing on its head, that disappeared after a couple days and I've not seen it return. Their copper treatment ends on the 30th actually. Then it's a bit longer in QT without copper and then finally I will have fish back in my tank! I am very very excited.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, mipster said:

Great! All 3 fish in QT

That’s good! It’s gonna feel so good to finally have fish back in! My firefish has less than 2 weeks left, hopefully candy corals will still some blennies by then! 

Remember how I mentioned I'd ordered a pico algae reactor? Well guess what got here today! Now I just have to figure out this plumbing business... I have all the hose and connectors and gate valves etc I could possibly need... I think at least... I'm going to run it just off a bucket for a bit, clear out any manufacturing nastiness. I am very excited!

And this isn't the only goodies I'm waiting on. I got a few other toys on their way from Aquarium Depot... Anyone have a guess? It's not THAT exciting maybe but I'm jazzed for what I'm waiting on. I'll give you a hint. It has to do with stability.... Any thoughts out there?

120541445_2818702915119610_3937229068877856216_n.thumb.jpg.205edf54c70054f002a92a47965ea524.jpg

• Like 2

So I had posted a photo of Audrey the Acantho. I've finally figured out the flow in the tank to make sure super happy and someone there asked what I did so I put together a little video and thought I'd add it here in case anyone else was having trouble with Acanthos in a mix reef.

• Like 3

How’s the algae reactor going? Santa Monica has a nano one (slip.7) I was looking at, but I’m gonna wait and see imintil I’m fully stocked to see how bad nutrients are! 
the tank is looking good!

• Like 1

I haven't gotten it set up on the tank yet. I'm headed home to Ottawa tomorrow for thanks giving so I'll get the plumbing figured out when I get back and get my hands on some chaeto to get things going. I'm excited to get it on the tank though!!

Those goodies I was hinting at arrived too. I finally caved and got the hanna Alk checker and the Kamoer X1 Pro wifi dosing pump.

I'm time I really get on top of what my tank consumption is and get things regulated and automated! That will be my home work over the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

oops, test alk twice to be sure with my fancy Hanna checker and I'm at 6.3 dkh. Doing a water change tonight. I'll see what that brings me up to and then dos a bit tomorrow if needed to get us a touch closer. Don't want to swing too much, too fast though.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mipster said:

Kamoer X1 Pro wifi dosing pump.

you going to be dosing tropic Marin all for one? 

Finally got a bicolor blenny From Marinescape by the way, hasn’t eaten much though yet, and still showing all black colours due to stress which hopefully should change In a few days

Happy 🇨🇦 thanksgiving! Can’t wait for our turkey and some pumpkin beers and pie!

• Like 1
On 10/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, Ash1176 said:

you going to be dosing tropic Marin all for one? 

Yup, that's the plan! We'll see how it goes but I really don't want to have to be dosing 12 different things and going crazy lol I do not have room for that many tubs to be sticking all over the place!

I was going to try to get to Marinescape while home this weekend but I didn't get around to it today and I doubt they're open tomorrow 😞 I guess it will just have to wait until next time I come home for a visit!

How's the Blenny? Settling in ok? You're doing a full QT right?

Happy thanksgiving to you too! We've got turkey and stuffing, a smoked brisket, mashed potatoes, creamy cauliflower, roasted veg, pumpkin pie and all the good wine all set for tomorrow! Plus eating at all our fave Ottawa places (Japanese Village on Friday night before they had to shut down again and Light of India take out - best in the city!).

There is always a slight anxiety being away from the tank... I'm sure it's fine but I now understand people with Apexs just for the piece of mind in knowing things are still fine!

Yah I think simplicity is key with a tank this small, I would do the same with all for one, or kalkwasser in the ATO! 

the blenny is doesn’t do much and doesn’t really eat much but he’s eating a bit now so I’m hoping it gets better! Yep 4 week observation quarantine, I feel like it’s so rough on them, but the firefish did well and is now in the DT! 

nice! Yeah big turkey tonight and a ham! Did some eggs benny this morning! 

2 hours ago, Ash1176 said:

Did some eggs benny this morning! 

Kettleman's bagels with their cheddar cream cheese, eggs and bacon over here. I miss Kettleman's when I'm in Toronto. There are no good bagels where I am.

Hopefully the Blenny perks up!

33 minutes ago, mipster said:

Hopefully the Blenny perks up!

Yah actually he’s eaten twice now, so we’re looking good!

yah I live next to college square so kettleman is right there! 🥯 

Ok so my Alk with I left on Friday morning was 7.4 dkh. I tested when I got home today and it's down to 6.7 dkh. I want to get my dkh up around 9.5-10 dkh. I can't get there with waterchanges because somehow while I was away and not feeding the tank my Nitrates got down to zero 🤦‍♀️

So I just dosed 2 ml of Tropic Marin All For Reef which only brought the tank up to 6.9. I just added an additional 8 ml (according to the tropic marin calculator, the max dose is 11 ml so I'm staying below that at once). I'll let things mix up and settle for an hour or so and report back on where that dose brought me.

I find it so interesting, this tank really sucks up more then I thought it would I've had people tell me that my water changes should be enough, especially since I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt but clearly that's not the case lol.

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - figuring out dosing

So those 10 ml total yesterday brought my alk up to 7.1 dkh this morning. I'll do another 10 ml dose later tonight to keep working on getting it up where it needs to be.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Ash1176 said:

Does it up calcium and magnesium? And how are those levels for you? 

It does up the calcium and mag as well. I haven't checked those levels, the alk was sooooo low, it was a fairly safe assumption that calc and mag were low too. When I get closer to 8 dkh, I'll start checking calc and mag as well. Just wanted to avoid the more complicated testing a bit lol 

• Like 1

WEEEELLLLLLL That pico reactor... leaks. :rant:

And it's not from where I attached the hose, it's from where the hard tubes you connect onto meet the lid. I've messaged the seller, we'll see what he says but I'm now all anxious about using basically a home made item. It's not like it's submerged in a sump and a little leak doesn't matter. This would be on the floor behind the stand. Lots to get in trouble with back there.

So sad, I was really excited to get it up and running. We'll have to see what I do now.

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Meet Hector