ReefCleaners.org

Look at this lil guy, so far very well behaved and not going anywhere near the top of the tank.

He still needs a name... nothing has stuck yet. Anyone have any thoughts?

1964942500_WhatsAppImage2020-06-02at8_23_38PM.thumb.jpeg.41aed35295d39d529fedcd07d19b03fb.jpeg1529854006_WhatsAppImage2020-06-02at8_23.38PM(1).thumb.jpeg.7ff4df8661a6dfc5db5ca18694391fdb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5

Well, I decided to try another Royal Gramma. I decided to go with a different seller as I've been trying to spread my business between as many local retailers as I can during all this upheaval. This time, I received an email from the owner asking if there was any way I could come pick up the gramma as in his experience, they don't ship well with many not making it more then a few days past shipping. The shop is only a half our drive from me but I don't have a car and public transit is something I've avoided as much as possible.

I told the owner that the only way I could make it would be to rent a car using a car sharing service I have a membership for but that I wouldn't be able to go until the weekend and asked if he was alright holding the fish until I could make it. He replied back telling me that since I had already paid shipping, he would drive it to me personally. It was such above and beyond service and I felt that he had really put the fish's welfare and my satisfaction first. It was top rate service. Since he was making the drive, I ordered a few more things that I knew I would be needing soon such as a nice big bucket of salt and some food and coral dips. For any Canadians up here, aquariumdepot.ca was amazing looking after me and making sure my latest addition arrived safely.

After a nice long acclimation as the salinity in the bag was on the low side, Priscilla entered her new home, stole the cave the nameless neon goby had been enjoying, and settled right in.

For what are supposed to be such shy fish, I see much more of these two than I was anticipating, especially the neon goby, he's such a ham. It's been a pleasant surprise! And they are both little piggies. I'll have to take a video when I feed them tomorrow. 

I went and made a separate instagram account just so I could post videos more easily here lol 

• Like 2
  • mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5 - AI prime question

Hey AI prime users out there, does the fan run loudly all the time for you? I haven't been turning on the light while cycling and with just the fish to let things mature without the huge algae risk (this was a BRS tv suggestion I wanted to try). I just turned on the lights to take a video and I notice the fan is pretty aggressive and loud. Is there something I should know? I've never seen anyone say their light units are loud or the fans run constantly. I can hear it above the tv.

GlasgowReefer
On 6/1/2020 at 2:55 AM, mipster said:

I hope you're right, I can't bare the thought of killing a fish by my mistake... I cried this morning I was so upset.

mine comes on a few times a day. Its not quiet. And when watching tele i can hear it. Id not say its rediculous and again only for a minute or so 

I'm thinking I will have to reserve judgement on the light until I'm ACTUALLY running it since I literally only turned it on for maybe 10 minutes to try to get a video of my fish eating, but of course, they aren't used to having the light on so they were shy when taking the video lol Oh well, I'll start using the light regularly in maybe a month-ish and run it on acclimation mode so they can get used to it.

I've been having a BLAST watching my neon goby (this guy seriously needs a name...) cleaning Priscilla (Queen of the Reef... yes, she is named after the movie Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Anyone who hasn't watched that movie should, it's terrific and the costumes are what made me think of the name from my Royal Gramma) lol The first time I was it two days ago I FREAKED thinking that it automatically meant there was a parasite on her but my googling has resulted in revealing that they just do that all the time and it doesn't automatically mean there is an issue but I'll be watching closely to make sure everyone is healthy. I keep trying to get a video of it but as soon as I get my phone out, they stop ... or sometimes Priscilla MAKE the goby stop. She opens her mouth super wide and faces the goby till he backs off once she is done with the cleaning. They both eat A TON and are out and about all day so it's easy and wonderful to be able to watch closely and enjoy them. The goby especially swims right up to me now when I'm close to the tank, the little ham.

I'm waiting a couple weeks to let things settle with these two guys and then I want to add a single clown. I'm thinking a snowflake but I'm not 100% yet. But I can't not have a clown, their personalities are just too fun and they were my favourites in my old tank but I'm only adding one in the evo. Then, once the clown is in,, it'll be maybe another week without lights while he settles in and then I'll turn on the lights in acclimation mode and we'll start adding in some simple corals and really get this puppy going. The wait is agonizing but I'm determined to do this right unlike my first tank.

And just for fun, here's my little helper... really she is NO HELP but she's cute so she totally gets away with it.

1981106904_WhatsAppImage2020-06-07at11_18_26AM.thumb.jpeg.5b657bc7ca9ae2294c04b49a5495a7f3.jpeg

• mipster changed the title to Back in the game - Fluval Evo 13.5

well..... My plan went out the window...

I was going to stick to my guns, keep it three fish... but then I was talking to a local guy about buying his Aqamai KPS pump and he accidentally sent a pic of his baby picasso clowns and nems. Now I was good on the nems, I am not putting a bubble tip in this itty bitty tank but the picassos... and I originally said just one... but the more I talked to the guy, the more I didn't like the idea of it not having a girlfriend... and 4 is more then I was planning... but my 4 are all going to remain quite small ... and I can rehome if it becomes necessary... so bad... I swore I would have better self control!!!! Shit... lol 

It was really awesome talking to this local guy though. He's upgrading to the 500 reefer peninsula, it arrives in a couple weeks and we were just enjoying talking about his set up and the upgrades and he sent me pictures of some of his amazing corals. He's even putting together a custom zoa pack for me. He's going to send me pictures of everything when they open up fully in the morning and fragging what I want and holding them a couple more weeks until I'm ready to turn on my lights. The Toronto Reefing community has been amazing, I've been really happy since I started talking to them all on facebook. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The clowns look great! 
did you get the Akamai pump? I wish I had gotten that one instead of the Koralia, maybe an upgrade further down the line 

1 hour ago, Ash1176 said:

did you get the Akamai pump?

I did, it was a great deal for a practically new pump. I haven't installed it yet, I don't need it in there quite yet so no rush.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, Ash1176 said:

what’s your plans for corals when the time comes?

I have some nice zoas that the local reefer fragged for me yesterday and is going to hold until I'm ready to turn on the lights and get corals added. I want some nice acans, Duncan is a must, I really want a mint Pavnova! Other sps I like are forest fire digi, monti cap, teal birds nest. And my dream tough coral is going to be sun corals but that wont be for a while, I need the tank to be much more mature before going new those guys. I know they have to be feed to survive but in a tank this small, that seems like less of a challenge but we'll see!

My neon goby is being a total ass to the baby clown, chasing them all over the place. I though Neon gobies were supposed to be one of the most peaceful fish possible! I've got a breeder box coming for a nice time out so the clowns can grow and become more confident. The goby is going to regret picking on them once they grow up. He's going to be the little guy soon enough!

How long does it take for clowns to grow up generally? These guys are about an inch long, I just need them to get to a point to hold their own with the goby.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:27 AM, mipster said:

I did, it was a great deal for a practically new pump. I haven't installed it yet, I don't need it in there quite yet so no rush.

Aqamai can be a bit iffy, some work and some just don’t work from the box. After they work though it’s a nice pump. The app is kinda crappy but it works 

29 minutes ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Aqamai can be a bit iffy, some work and some just don’t work from the box.

I bought used  and I got it up and running at home np

17 minutes ago, andrewjardin said:

This tank is awesome, the lights look great on here! And those clowns are a sweet find! 👌🏻

Thanks! We're getting there, bit by itty bit lol I do love the baby clowns but I need the breeder box to hurry up and get here so I can put the goby on a time out. I have to sit right beside the tank and watch him. It really seems that if he sees me watching, he behaves lol But I can't stare 24/7! Sure I am working from home at the moment but I am actually still supposed to be working lol

Well the breeder box I got for the goby came in little pieces with the stickers still on, half an hour of trying to peel the damn stuff off later I realized that while I could figure out how to fit all the pieces together (there were no included instructions), there was nothing included to keep the pieces securely together and no suction cup to secure the box to the side of the tank so it's virtually useless.

Luckily the Neon Goby has decided to stop being an ass so he might have avoided being put in time out just in time.

I haven't seen my Royal Gramma since I the day after I added the clowns. She was behaving strange, laying in the sand on her side, swimming in circles on her side and I had reached out to my local reef group asking for their thoughts and on a thread here about sick or stressed royals. Some said it was a swim bladder issue, others said stress from the clowns, and others told me that that was totally typical Royal Gramma behaviour and that they were total odd balls. I had caught her in a net to try to get a closer look at her to see if there was any damage or marks and she looked totally fine but she just lay in the net, no moving much, just breathing. So I left her in the net to be able to observe her, maybe move her to a bucket or something but after maybe a half our in the net, she perked right up, swam out of the nest and disappeared into a cave. I haven't seen her since. I don't know if she's ok, I've been testing the water every could days to see if there is a jump in Nitrates but it's been normal. I hope she's ok in there, the not knowing is stressful.

I also decided to turn on the lights and go get my first coral. It's a bit sooner then I was originally planning... buuuuut.... I really wanted to start adding corals! lol I know I know.... Bad Me! I've got the lights running in acclimation mode so I don't hurt anything. 

Still no CUC but there isn't anything to clean up still but now that the lights are on, I'll have to watch that carefully and be ready to run up to the nearest LSF when necessary.

1 hour ago, Ash1176 said:

it’s  excuse to turn On the lights and appreciate the aquarium!

True! I also ordered some Acans that I just couldn't pass up, they were the colours I was looking for and crazy amazing prices.... so those get here on Wednesday.... 😬

And the LFS near me has this really really pretty blue and yellow ricordia mushroom with a neon green mouth.... I shouldn't... I should wait... not add too much too fast ... but.... look at it.... how am I not supposed to buy it... I've told myself if it is still available by end of day tomorrow, that is the reef gods telling me it's ok. That's fair right?

669258065_ScreenShot2020-06-16at12_14_46AM.thumb.png.c1a7d5fb43a556c2776456db2f47a08c.png

I've been thinking a lot about the bottom level of my inTank media rack. It's the largest section and is currently empty. I've been thinking of getting some Marine Pure bio media to pop in there to increase my bio filtration surface area. I don't want to do a refugium in there or anything like that because it will mess with the clean look I want so this might be the best use of the space on the media rack. Anyone out there in reef land have any thoughts?

The smaller clown really likes the Duncan. He doesn't host it (probably because it's just 2 heads lol) but as soon as I added it in, that became his spot. He loves to swim near the Duncan. I keep trying to get a picture or video but if I go within a meter of the tank, the clowns and goby all rush up to see me lol I have been using a little pipette to feed with and the clowns in particular go right up to the tip to wait for the food lol I'll have to get a video for you guys tomorrow. I've also had fun spot feeding the Duncan a bit too. I know not necessary but the feeding response is just so fun to watch.

• Like 1

You need that ricordea....don't see a lot like that online.   You already have a million fish, what is one little ricordea going to do?  🤣   Seriously, I really like the colors, and wish one like it was available where I am.

I love feeding my duncans too.   They like the food so much and then they swell all up and look bloated.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, dnadrifter said:

You already have a million fish, what is one little ricordea going to do?  🤣 

A million and 1 actually 🤪 And by that I mean 3 possibly 4 if the royal is in there... but I have a feeling she isn't still alive in there, just a gut feeling.

41 minutes ago, dnadrifter said:

You need that ricordea....don't see a lot like that online.  

Well.... You might have just convinced me.... because let's be real, it's been sitting in the cart since I first saw it at 10am  yesterday and it's almost 1:30 am ....Why am I still awake and reading on nano-reef? Oh ya, can't help it.

14 hours ago, mipster said:

True! I also ordered some Acans

I can’t wait to start getting some corals! 
that ricordea looks amazing.

what online store are you ? 

I’m using Seachem matrix for media, it’s Little Rocks in a bag, the bag is good cuz you can just grab it and rinse easy when needed 

My local store is Fragbox but they also will ship, flat fee based on what province. They are who I ordered the Ric from (they have a few more similar ones! Just saying lol)

The other stores I order from are Aquarium Depot (great fish and dry goods selection, excellent customer service), Candy Corals (Acans came from here) and Toronto Corals (though I haven't ordered from these guys yet but they have awesome prices on sps frags so I'm going to be once I feel ready for some easy sps).

You’re really spoilt with choice in Toronto haha. Been looking at frag box, I got my new heater from them, I probably won’t order anything livestock until things get back to normal with the mail

going to Marinescape this afternoon to check out what they have.

Just now, Ash1176 said:

going to Marinescape this afternoon to check out what they have.

Marinescape always had lovely and really well priced frags, especially in the tank in the back left corner unless they've gone and moved things around on me lol Take  pics! 

I’m gonna have to fight the urge to get a coral, from what I understand you can add them before the cycle is over... seems kinda weird to me though, would rather get my fish in and see that they’re doing well before investing! We’ll see hahahaha

mainly want to check out the fish they have before I go get some! 

• mipster changed the title to The not an Evo anymore Redemption Reef - Meet Hector