ReefCleaners.org

Opinions on flower anemone placement

roblox84

I'm cycling a 20 gallon waterbox and would eventually like to get some flower anemones. Any ideas on where in my tank would be best placement? I was thinking to cover the top arch with them or would that be too much light under a Kessil A160? If that's too much light my next favorite spot would be the bottom left sloping rock where the cave is.

20200422_192507.jpg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, olive said:

You can try, but anemones move to where they feel comfy. I really like your aquascape though!

Thank you! I hope they will stay put but if they move hopefully they'll move where they're in view still.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, olive said:

You can try, but anemones move to where they feel comfy. I really like your aquascape though!

This!

Some really like to be on the rock/sand line, and some might like to be on the top of your arch. I have 4 that have been hanging out at the top of my arch for years. 

Rock nems tend to move around most when you first put them in the tank. Once they find a spot they like, they might stay put for a very long time. 

20200125_141241.thumb.jpg.d2c7332ebc382abbdac8370bb50c0bfb.jpg

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

This!

Some really like to be on the rock/sand line, and some might like to be on the top of your arch. I have 4 that have been hanging out at the top of my arch for years. 

Rock nems tend to move around most when you first put them in the tank. Once they find a spot they like, they might stay put for a very long time. 

20200125_141241.thumb.jpg.d2c7332ebc382abbdac8370bb50c0bfb.jpg

What lighting do you have right above those 2 anenomes? They seem to really like the higher light.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roblox84 said:

What lighting do you have right above those 2 anenomes? They seem to really like the higher light.

Nanobox Tide over an innovative marine 20 gallon. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

I have 70 or 80 of them in my 17 gallon. They will go wherever they’re happy at. You can try to place them where you want, and some may stay. I’ve got a lot that rarely ever move... But I have a few that are like Willie Nelson, and just can’t wait to get on the road again. It doesn’t matter where I put them, they’re going to walk. 

As far as your light goes, I don’t think it’ll bother them. Mine are getting blasted by a Hydra 26HD. (I don’t have a build thread for this tank, but you can see it in the photo of the month pictures for this month.) 

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I have 70 or 80 of them in my 17 gallon. They will go wherever they’re happy at. You can try to place them where you want, and some may stay. I’ve got a lot that rarely ever move... But I have a few that are like Willie Nelson, and just can’t wait to get on the road again. It doesn’t matter where I put them, they’re going to walk. 

As far as your light goes, I don’t think it’ll bother them. Mine are getting blasted by a Hydra 26HD. (I don’t have a build thread for this tank, but you can see it in the photo of the month pictures for this month.) 

That is really nice. The all flower anenome tanks really grew on me and I'm considering doing my 20g that way. Do they reproduce fairly quickly and do you have to feed all of them individually?

Love the scape, it will look gorgeous with rock flowers... I agree you can put them where you like them and if they’re not happy they should move. I have some on the top of my scape in my Biocube 16 and it makes for nice top down shots of my tank. 

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Love the scape, it will look gorgeous with rock flowers... I agree you can put them where you like them and if they’re not happy they should move. I have some on the top of my scape in my Biocube 16 and it makes for nice top down shots of my tank. 

Thanks, I'm really liking the liferock shapes and the aquascapes you can create with them.

I imagine A bonus of having rock anemones is not introducing pests or algae into the aquarium either.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, roblox84 said:

Thanks, I'm really liking the liferock shapes and the aquascapes you can create with them.

I imagine A bonus of having rock anemones is not introducing pests or algae into the aquarium either.

Yes, agree - I use Liferock in my tanks too. You can really create interesting scapes with it. 

Are you thinking of doing rock flowers only? 

1 minute ago, banasophia said:

Yes, agree - I use Liferock in my tanks too. You can really create interesting scapes with it. 

Are you thinking of doing rock flowers only? 

I will eventually buy a few lps and softies I think but I will first start out with anenomes and let them settle in.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, roblox84 said:

That is really nice. The all flower anenome tanks really grew on me and I'm considering doing my 20g that way. Do they reproduce fairly quickly and do you have to feed all of them individually?

They don’t reproduce that quickly, and the babies are really small. You can spot feed them if you like, but they are photosynthetic, so it isn’t necessary if you have a good light (which you do). It is cool to feed them and watch them take the food from their tentacles to their mouth. 

Yeah, I only target feed the ones that are fully shaded or perpendicular to the light. Mine don’t reproduce, but scope out the rock flower appreciation thread to see tanks where they do reproduce. 

So I ordered 3 of the anenomes and was wondering how long they can be out of water for? If I place them on that arch, when I do a water change they will be out of the water for a few minutes. Just want to make sure it doesn't hurt them in some way.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
25 minutes ago, roblox84 said:

So I ordered 3 of the anenomes and was wondering how long they can be out of water for? If I place them on that arch, when I do a water change they will be out of the water for a few minutes. Just want to make sure it doesn't hurt them in some way.

Oh that's fine. I've taken a rock out of the water that has 3on and had it out for about 10 mins while I did maintenance. I just bast a little water in them every few mins if it's gonna be a while.

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

They absorb water, so they can remain out of water for a while, and be ok. I’ve had them out of water for at least half an hour while working on trying to get them off of a rock.  Should be zero issues with a water change.  

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
46 minutes ago, roblox84 said:

Ok great. And none of those anenomes got annoyed and decided to move off the rock?

Nah they can be stubborn and a PITA to get to move if they don't want. One reason I've had mine out of water was to "try" and make it move 🤣

• Haha 1

I received my 3 anenomes from Saltcritters today. The colors don't seem to be as bright and pronounced as on their website, I'm guessing they just have different lighting? Also one of the anenomes still hasn't attached after about 3 hours and has an open mouth. The rest attached within seconds, should I be worried about the gaping mouth and that it hasn't attached yet?

20200428_152434.jpg

20200428_135417.jpg

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, roblox84 said:

I received my 3 anenomes from Saltcritters today. The colors don't seem to be as bright and pronounced as on their website, I'm guessing they just have different lighting? Also one of the anenomes still hasn't attached after about 3 hours and has an open mouth. The rest attached within seconds, should I be worried about the other one?

20200428_152434.jpg

20200428_135417.jpg

I ordered from SaltCritters before too. They may lose color a little while shipping and adjusting to lighting, so give them time to settle in amd color up. 

The one that hasn't attached yet, I would keep an eye on. I don't remember their guarantee but maybe send a quick email letting them know what's up and that you're still giving it time.

Make sure it's protected from high flow so it has the opportunity to attach. Maybe even put it in a small glass jar or shot glass if your flow is too strong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I ordered from SaltCritters before too. They may lose color a little while shipping and adjusting to lighting, so give them time to settle in amd color up. 

The one that hasn't attached yet, I would keep an eye on. I don't remember their guarantee but maybe send a quick email letting them know what's up and that you're still giving it time.

Make sure it's protected from high flow so it has the opportunity to attach. Maybe even put it in a small glass jar or shot glass if your flow is too strong. 

Thanks, I sent them an email already. I have no powerhead yet, only the small return pump and made sure it's out of the flow.

• Like 1

Gaping mouth isn't a very good sign, but it's not dead yet. Tuck it somewhere secluded and shaded, where it can't be washed away, and let it try.

Yeah, they have ideal lighting for coloration in those photos. Yours may not quite look as vibrant in person, but should still be pretty nice. 

• Thanks 1