SaltCritters.com

Nano-Reef.com 19th Birthday Celebration! 🎂

Christopher Marks

Happy B-day NR! Not even a year older than this site.

Fav tank would probably be my old 65 gallon. Water changes are harder, but there's something different about keeping bigger tanks that makes you a lot more interested in reefing. 

I also really miss my old clam... wish I could've keept him in a 20 gallon 😔

20180916_200855.jpg

• Like 6

Happy birthday, Nano-Reef! You don't look a day over 16!

Here's a very cheesy reef music video I made of my 67g back in 2005 (I made bunch back in the day 😂)... (skip to 1:53 if you don't want to watch the whole thing)

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I know you probably all know me. I’ve had a lot of ups and downs in my reefing career. But here’s my tank, and my funny moment is Jerry which everyone here probably remembers. He’s still doing well. Still hasn’t mottled, which it’s been like more than a year now😂. My shrimps molt like every week. This was when I think my tank looked the best. And also my favorite coral is my bounce. 

63F0C8CE-8D58-4301-ABB1-404AF7527D59.png

8BAEC6B7-A4C5-4DBC-8457-C2341E82F3C3.png

2F1A40D3-48B7-4938-B356-8E46C58DD2DF.png

• Like 6

I lurked nano-reef.com for at least a year before joining, and blame NR and all you wonderful jerks for spending so much money and my time here trying to mimic your successes.  

Happy Birthday NR and thank you for everything @Christopher Marks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
The Rainy Day Aquarium

Wow 19 whole years! I can't say how much NR has helped me over the years. A short lived but fond memory of mine was a 2 gallon pico that I had; good times.

20180613_161008_HDR.thumb.jpg.6f040779c01cc1de84843520f46f2af1.jpg

Even only being a member for just over a year all of you ladies and gents have truly cranked out some amazing stuff and are always so kind. Special thanks to @Christopher Marks for captaining this ship and keeping it in tip top shape 😊

• Like 4

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef! This place has taught me everything. Thank you @teenyreef for introducing me into reefkeeping, for convincing me that it can be done.

Special mentions to @SURVEYMAN46123 and @kimberbee, thanks for the inspiration and for being good and kind people! 
Big thanks to @Christopher Marks for making all this possible. 
Here’s to another 19 years! 🍻

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Back when Solana's and iPhone's were Cool...I actually Started a Build Thread which is something I have never done. But, was a ton of fun and met some really cool people in the process!!!...and yes I shot every photo with my iPhone 4!!!

Cant believe this was 10 yrs ago my kids are almost in college now...👴

Check out the Disco Ball Bruh...ijs...🤦‍♂️

imageproxy-1.php.jpeg

imageproxy_php.thumb.jpeg.61d689b42f8127427569409f4e363c6b.jpeg

imageproxy-1.php.png

imageproxy.php.png

• Like 6
  • Wow 2

I joined this site when I was 11 years old. For the last decade, I've been visiting this place on and off, mostly lurking and occasionally making myself look dumb, up to and including finally setting up a reef this past year after reading about it for half my life! Some of my favorite memories include:

Making my current avatar with ms paint when I was 12 or 13. Hey its true I do like shallow reefs.

Making a post about setting up a tub for growing out "zoos and kenya trees" to fund my first reef.

Bringing home some minnows and sand from the beach to set up a "florida biotope" 😂

Keeping up with @Kijho's Spec V thread in real time. Just something about the way he presented his tank and the fact that I caught on to it early made the whole thing memorable for me.

Thank you to everyone who has answered my questions and put up with my naivety over the years.

Happy birthday Nano Reef.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!

🤗

Yay!! Happy Birthday Nano-Reef!! 

@Christopher Marks has really created a great reefing source and community, and I'm glad I get to be a part of it!!

Here's a good/weird memory... 

That one time I found a ployclad flatworm in my tank and kept it in a vase for a few months!! 😬

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Wow 19 years! That’s great so glad to be part of a community that’s been around for so long. I found nano-reef my accident when I was looking up information on starting a 5 gallon tank. I was able to get a ton of great information and had a very nice nano. 

A66952CA-DC92-491E-95BB-18CA66EAE3EC.jpeg

• Like 4

Happy Birthday N-R!!

I still remember browsing through this site and dreaming up my nano bonsai shroom tank during my university years  (instead of studying.)

It's still my go to for any marine information, and the community has just been wonderful.

Cheers!!

• Like 5

Found this old pic (circa 2010) I took of my first pico, with my camera on my flip phone that was shaped like a brick. And this pic is still on NR, buried somewhere in my build thread! I was 16 when I joined NR and my build threads were filled so many useless chatty posts

1501015506_Phone_Damselandcoral.jpg.2f25447f6fb6ff7b5b16b1506a28c6ec.jpg

• Like 10
RoyalGramma001

Pretty new to keeping tanks only started in January of 2020. But my favorite moment for me was in December 2019 and I came across this website, I wanted a tank and wanted to learn more. Then I came across TOTM (December) and saw the tank and I thought it was incredible and I hope that my tank will look like that one day. My tank currently has no corals but I’d like to get some one day. Currently I have snails, a cleaner shrimp, tiger sand conch, Yellow Sea cucumber, emerald crab, yellow watchman goby, hermit crabs, and a red headed Solon wrasse. I’ve had other fish in the tank other than the two but lost them. Clownfish had a disease where his mouth was deteriorating and a royal gramma who was my favorite fish ever that I’ve kept and he was the joy of the tank but lost him in February to ich.

Currently have a 20 gallon tank. Well that was my experience and where my love for fish started. 
large.image.jpg.12e7a45f6f803795ac2ed07540a9a309.jpg

this was my royal gramma named Shark Bait miss him a lot😥

large.image.jpg.3864b7dc28b16fc1e42fb5b336b65f43.jpg

Clownfish when he had a disease that he could not recover from.

large.B40494C1-8BCF-4202-80CB-CC406B86FFF9.jpeg.25c7dd7c2c024cc0c7213cd0adc62e1c.jpeg

This is my wrasse who is still alive.large.10B3F8CF-9A20-4012-8E81-FDAF2676D455.jpeg.71512a7dbee8b2278ae681a033ce7f81.jpeg

Little gobylarge.image.jpg.c41f291f2b1b2cc6ee8663e74e28dcbe.jpg

full tank

• Like 2

Happy birthday, nano reef. Haven't been here long, but this forum and my still very young reef tank was a part of digging my way out of some gnarly post partum depression and helping me find my way back to myself. Me and my kiddos have spent countless hours watching the tank that never would have happened without the wealth of information and support available here. Sorry for the extra sap - will return to reef content now. The last pic was snapped by my 3yo. 🙃

IMG_20200121_133853980.jpg

IMG_20200331_165557343_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200403_200939259.jpg

• Like 7
NoOneLikesADryTang

Hey! My birthday is May 10th... What a great birthday it’ll be when I win a pack for the tank keeper!

I began hearing about this site, and some guy named CannedFish for months before I created a username. There’s little doubt in my mind, if it wasn’t for Nano-Reef, we wouldn’t have gotten up to 6 tanks in a year and a half. I am blessed with a wonderful human in my life, that I get to share the hobby with. This site has brought us lots of joy, laughs, and hours of endless entertainment and information. 

Also, I’m glad we don’t live in the bayou, or I might really have to worry about Mr. Stealyogirl  CannedFish. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
ender wiggin
On 4/21/2020 at 10:56 PM, Scorched said:

Keep it going Nano-Reef community!!

My very first Nano-Reef was made around 2004.  It was this tiny 5.5 seen below.  I DIYed almost everything.  It was lit with screw in light bulbs that were actual 50 white / 50 actinic.  It ran for about a year and then crashed when I went to college.   My last year of college in 2007 I brought it with and set it up in an apartment as just a clownfish tank.  It stayed like that for about 4-5 years (With the exact same clownfish seen below)

At some point the coral itch came back and that set off the cascade of events that lead to the first 12 gallon long pictured with the old nano.

post-7400-1329377698_thumb.jpg

March 2012 - So even though I upgraded my tank a few years back the full 12g long timeline is now over 8 years.

POwbL.jpg&key=ca5c60a38ee986d7125b19d59f

That 12g Long by scorched has long been my favorite tank and I'm actually starting the 22g version of the same tank right now.  Definitely one of many inspirational tanks that has impacted me over the years! 

That being said, back in 2009, I moved to Arizona and decided to get an aquarium (freshwater like usual) and I searched for an aquarium store nearby and there was one about a mile from my home.  So I went to check it out to find out it was ONLY saltwater.  So I started talking to the guy that was working and started dreaming.  He helped me decide to try a small saltwater aquarium (I was broke), but I wanted to research more first.  So for a few weeks, I would sit online every night and research aquariums.  I quickly found this forum and read SO many aquarium builds, trying to learn from everyone's success and failures.  

Here I am, over 10 years later, I've had 8 tanks, ranging from 5.5g to 90 gallon and I'm still obsessed, thanks, in part, to this website and the many members that choose to share their story and knowledge.  Like I said, I'm in the process of starting another nano tank (22g Mr. Aqua) so I've come back to start reading and learning again. Thanks @Christopher Marks for creating and maintaining this awesome resource! 

Here is a picture of my first aquarium.  Hopefully I can get a nice looking one like so many of you have! Thanks!!

9-21-09 aquarium.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fav memory was the secret santa swap I was in like seven years ago. I remember lurking on the site ten years ago as I prepared for my second saltwater tank. I have some old (printed) pics I could snap of that first tank...

Happy birthday NR! May we continue to have a happy community...and better UI/UX than RC/R2R! 😜

Recently found an old pic of one of my all-time fav species on an old SD card...

49818773686_74722e2fe1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic